• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Criminal record while in the force

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bplante

Inactive
Reaction score
I didnt find the information. Anyone knows story about that or personnel experience ?

If you get a criminial record while you're in the CF, what happened ? Can you still go overseas ? Can you go in Ex in the USA ?

Thanks

Depending on what you did and the sentence imposed, you might not find yourself in the CF anymore.

To answer your other questions (Go overseas, and to USA): Maybe. If you stay in, your employment limitations would be clearly spelled out for you. If you couldn't go overseas, you are in breach of the U of S, seeing as you're not fully deployable. If you're in breach, you're released (in this case)...

I had a DUI conviction while a young lad in the infantry. I disclosed to my CoC and was severely reprimanded and given every crap job for what seemed like an eternity. I was told by my CSM that he could charge me with conduct unbecoming, who knows. I wasn't a driver or anything, so the suspension only affected my ability to go home on weekends and see my honey.

That was my personal experience. I know i go through a hassle about it every time i do a security clearance, i really should go.

I was in the infantry with a gent who remustered to MP, went to borden, finished his course, came back to london to clear out, got into a broohaha or DUI or something, was kicked out of the MP's...IIRC he reverted to grunt again.

oh, oh..i just remembered. I also have personal knowledge of a gent who is an MWO right now. He got busted soliciting a lady who works in the evening...except she was working in the evening because she was an undercover cop.

He was a sgt at the time. Our MWO and one of the Sgts went and bailed him out of jail and NOTHING happened to him administratively, except everyone tried to keep it hush hush...lol.

Depends who you are really and rank.Drug charges do not seem to even affect career progression anymore really.C&P and carry on.DUI seems to be dealt with more severe than drug use IMHO.

I had a record for Mischief and was being investigated for armed robbery when I enlisted.Didnt affect me none.

Drug charges do not seem to even affect career progression anymore really.

Not in my unit, man.

I can think of otherwise solid dudes who've been booted right out of the army for smoking pot.  When on the job they were good soldiers, but off hours they just couldn't keep themselves out of shit.

Wonderbread said:
Not in my unit, man.

I can think of otherwise solid dudes who've been booted right out of the army for smoking pot.  When on the job they were good soldiers, but off hours they just couldn't keep themselves out of crap.

Quite the opposite in my unit.Guys get charged for drugs and 1 year later their on their 6's and promoted.The only thing they suffer is a year where they can't go on course due to C&P...while everyone else is on tour.

X-mo-1979 said:
Quite the opposite in my unit.Guys get charged for drugs and 1 year later their on their 6's and promoted.The only thing they suffer is a year where they can't go on course due to C&P...while everyone else is on tour.

Drug charges were relatively common when i was in the grunts. Most of the time you get a free trip to edmonton, some C &P and welcomed back to the regimental family. Have seen a few guys simply get run out.

My question to you is why are you asking this question?  Something your CFRC/D should know about?

First off, I hope if you were arrested and charged with an offense, you reported it to your CoC right away.  Why??

QR & O Vol I, Article 19.56

IntraNet\DIN Link:  http://admfincs.mil.ca/qr_o/vol1/ch019_e.asp#19.56

InterNet Link: http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/qro-orf/vol-01/chapter-chapitre-019-eng.asp#cha-019-56

Depending on the charge, whether or not you are found guilty (very important), etc, you may/may not have 'career implications' placed on you.

If you are in the CF, and have been charged with something, and you haven't disclosed to your CoC, I suggest you do so immediately.

Without details of the charge, etc, I doubt anyone here can give you a solid answer. 

Yes my CoC knows about it.

Im charged with DUI. I want to have a idea of implication if Im guilty because going on trial is a bit like gambling 4000-5000$.

Im still in course at infantry school Im beginning my carreer in the CF.

Bplante said:
Im charged with DUI. I want to have a idea of implication if Im guilty because going on trial is a bit like gambling 4000-5000$.

With Fines, Legal Fees, Fees for Tests, Fees for Expert Witnesses, increase in Insurance Fees, Installation and Calibration of InterLock Systems, Required Crses and their fees, Loss of wages (?), Removal from Merit Lists/loss of promotion, etc. you can pretty much double or triple those quoted costs.  A very expensive lesson.

If you required 404s for your job, you would be pretty much screwed.  If 404s are not a requirement, then your CoC may me more lenient towards keeping you than another Trade might.  The decision to keep or Release you may be personality driven, as well.

"Im still in course at infantry school Im beginning my carreer in the CF."

Well I know you are not the person I know of at the Inf Sch but it is funny I haven't heard of any other recent DUIs from the Inf Sch.

"Im charged with DUI. I want to have a idea of implication if Im guilty because going on trial is a bit like gambling 4000-5000$."

Very few that are charged with DUI are not guilty.

Take a look at:

http://admfincs.mil.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/019-31_e.asp  and

my favourite:

http://admfincs.mil.ca/admfincs/subjects/daod/5019/4_e.asp

If you are found guilty of the charge then there will be a lot of people that will see your name on a piece of paper - welcome to the sex, drugs and rock&roll files.  If you were navy I would be one of the ones that would see your name passing my desk in msgs referring to your AR and it's result. Depending on your history it could be anything from retention with no career implications through C&P to release.  Oh - a tidbit that you may not know - even if you were to somehow get off by some legal twist the CF can still charge you, do an AR and release you.

From the cases I have seen you should save the hassle and money, take the guilty, except your punishment from the court and the strip tearing the school will give you.  The only drinking cases I have seen released have been repeat offenders breaching C&P.

And there it is, in all its naked glory.

Time to pony up.

I'm locking this with the usual caveats.

Milnet.ca Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back