• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cost of housing in Canada

Press accounts in Canada and the UK both indicate that there was a conscious decision to open the doors to more immigrants because the governments feared a downturn in GDP. The immigrants boosted GDP but trashed productivity. The reason for the downturn in GDP was the same governments told the existing population to stay home because of the pandemic. I believe this line of thinking was common across the West. Housing shortages, school shortages, doctor shortages, wage competition, locals staying home and abandoning the labour market are all common complaints. Along with many others.

Except in Sweden.

They have different problems but they decided

a) to ride out the pandemic
b) to ride out the accompanying recession

They are back to "normal" - whatever that means.

Reactions: QV
Regarding the cost of housing in Canada,

Readers saving for a starter home in Canada may, or may not, find this helpful.

If you're a single person in Toronto who hopes to one day own a home, you may want to consider jumping on the "buying with friends and family" bandwagon, because a new report says you'll likely be saving for most of your life otherwise.

they are more likely to find something more affordable in places like Regina, Edmonton, Cape Breton, Quebec City, and others

Anyone in the market for a condo may find this helpful.

The most expensive cities in Ontario and Canada to buy a condo

According to Royal LePage, 23 Feb., 2024:

This includes houses and condos.

Here’s how much house $1 million can buy in Canada’s major real estate markets today​

• Nationally, a typical $1-million home boasts an average of 3.2 bedrooms, 2.6 baths and almost 1,800 square feet of living space.
  • Remote work has given homebuyers greater flexibility to choose where they want to live, including more affordable cities where a million-dollar budget may stretch farther.
  • $1-million homes in the Greater Toronto Area and Greater Vancouver offer less square footage and fewer bedrooms and bathrooms than the national average.
  • Unlike Canada’s two other largest metropolitan centres, the Greater Montreal Area boasts an average home size that is 523 square feet larger than the national average.
  • Halifax, Edmonton and Winnipeg boast the largest average square footage of all major cities in Canada at this price point.

Compare that to Houston, Texas

Who can afford a 1M mortgage these days ? Especially with a high interest rate like we're having lately ?

Who can afford a 1M mortgage these days ? Especially with a high interest rate like we're having lately ?

Agreed. Seems to be a silly baseline to use. Use a good pre pandemic Halifax number like 250K and see how that runs now.

Who can afford a 1M mortgage these days ?

Who knows.

The summary was courtesy of Royal LePage, yesterday, in case anyone is looking to buy or sell at today's market value.

Bargain hunters may be able to take advantage of this,

Remote work has given homebuyers greater flexibility to choose where they want to live,

Believe me, where I live here in Quebec, even Canada, would be my last choice to remote-work and having that much money to spend on housing.

Agreed. Seems to be a silly baseline to use. Use a good pre pandemic Halifax number like 250K and see how that runs now.
I recently resigned my mortage last year in August. I went from a 2.3% to a 5.99% rate, which brings my monthly payments to an extra 250$ / month.

I'm a single dad with 3 kids, and that spike killed the extra savings I had at the end of the months. And i'm not even talking about the rise of gas, groceries and so on.

Because Toronto is the Centre of the Universe.

Vancouver exists in an Alternative Universe

• Detached Homes: $2,123,678 (7.2% YoY increase, -5% MoM)
  • Attached Homes: $1,219,306 (7.2% YoY increase, 0.5% MoM)
  • Condo Apartments: $794,211 (3.1% YoY increase, -2.1% MoM)

Last edited:

Quite a difference between the two.

GTA average detached home price $1.35M.

Vancouver average detached home price $2,123,678.

The devil is in the details. There could be lots of factors in making a comparison. One of the properties that was near the top of your search was a condo listed for $60,000. It's been on the market for over a year and has dropped considerably in asking price. Why? And could a similar factor be involved for other properties' valuation? I googled the street name and added a single word, "crime". The first two results led to the exact address.

Investigation into Fatal Shooting at 5625 Antoine Drive (26 Aug 23)
Investigation into Fatal Shooting at 5625 Antoine Drive (13 Sep 21)

The neighbourhood is quite the shooting gallery.

I recently resigned my mortage last year in August. I went from a 2.3% to a 5.99% rate, which brings my monthly payments to an extra 250$ / month.

I'm a single dad with 3 kids, and that spike killed the extra savings I had at the end of the months. And i'm not even talking about the rise of gas, groceries and so on.

Sorry to hear that, Aper. We renewed in early-Dec and tripled our interest rate…. 😠…and with Freelance self-authorizing another $517Billion of debt, I don’t think it’s getting much better any time soon.

Chinese United Front immigrant workers
You mean….?

Sorry to hear that, Aper. We renewed in early-Dec and tripled our interest rate…. 😠…and with Freelance self-authorizing another $517Billion of debt, I don’t think it’s getting much better any time soon.
It's OK. This is one of the reasons why I decided to join back the CAF as a Reservist to have that extra income to compensate 🤝

Back