• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cost of housing in Canada

Will no one protect these heritage (checks notes) parking spaces owned by the city and already declared surplus?
Looking at the map I see several very large empty lots in the city limits. I suspect residents see a significant local effect that the city does not give a squat about.

Looking at the map I see several very large empty lots in the city limits. I suspect residents see a significant local effect that the city does not give a squat about.
There are very few places for parking in downtown Stoney Creek. Closing even a few of them off could spell the death for any number of businesses there. There is lots of land available out old highway 8 way that could easily accommodate the proposed development. Giving up a parking lot is an easy sell for people who don't go there

The list includes data on 2,400 hospitals across 30 countries.

Ten from Canada made the list of the top 250 hospitals worldwide, in the following order.

That may, or may not, be important to Canadian home buyers. That is for them to decide.

1. Toronto General Hospital

2. Sunnybrook - Toronto

3. Mount Sinai - Toronto

4. North York General - Toronto

5. Centre hospitalier de l'Universite - Montreal

6. Montreal General Hospital

7. Jewish General Hospital - Montreal

8. St. Michael's Hospital - Toronto

9. Vancouver General Hospital

10. Toronto Western Hospital

March 8, 2024

Saw this in today's news regarding home invasions in Canada.

Rate per 100K people.
https://www.insauga.com/most-dangerous-cities-ranked-in-canada-2-ontario-communities-in-top-10/

RankCitiesRate per 100K people
1Winnipeg, Manitoba811.33
2Lethbridge, Alberta763.96
3Saskatoon, Saskatchewan761.1
4Regina, Saskatchewan733.23
5Kelowna, British Columbia708.74
6Moncton, New Brunswick607.51
7Edmonton, Alberta547.48
8Calgary, Alberta518.61
9Windsor, Ontario455.84
10Kitchener-Cambridge-Waterloo, Ontario438.29
11London, Ontario427.42
12Kingston, Ontario422.54
13St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador421.27
14Greater Sudbury, Ontario390.21
15Brantford, Ontario340.97
16Vancouver, British Columbia336.18
17Guelph, Ontario334.8
18Thunder Bay, Ontario322.86
19Abbotsford-Mission, British Columbia298.14
20Peterborough, Ontario289.82
21Belleville, Ontario287.93
22Halifax, Nova Scotia282.61
23St. Catharines-Niagara, Ontario279.6
24Victoria, British Columbia279.55
25Ottawa-Gatineau, Quebec part272.72
26Ottawa-Gatineau, Ontario/Quebec258.56
27Ottawa-Gatineau, Ontario part254.25
28Hamilton, Ontario253.97
29Trois-Rivières, Quebec231.76
30Montréal, Quebec221.03
31Prince Edward Island210.91
32Saguenay, Quebec198.44
33Sherbrooke, Quebec191.04
34Saint John, New Brunswick187.89
35Québec, Quebec180.21
36Toronto, Ontario162.19
37Barrie, Ontario143.16

Nobody I know, except one, can afford a house where I live. There's simply too much demand for housing. Also, rent has really gone up, too. I remember about 25 years ago, it was around $400 for a room. But now it can easily be over $1000.

I remember about 25 years ago, it was around $400 for a room. But now it can easily be over $1000.

A female could share a room in Etobicoke with three others for $475 ( plus $50.00 for hydro, heating, water and internet ).

Or, have the bedroom to herself for $2,100 per month.

Or, enjoy "prestigious accommodation" in North York with a few other "team players" ( male or female ) for $555. per month.

A female could share a room in Etobicoke with three others for $475 ( plus $50.00 for hydro, heating, water and internet ).
I know what you are talking about; here, a lot of international students do that. They sleep in bunk beds and share one room with many people so as to keep the rent lower. But the issue is lack of privacy. Also, they probably won't have the space to put desks for 4 people, which they need in order to study.

Average home price in Ottawa right now is about 620K.

Average rent is 2000k for a one bedroom apt.

Assuming you can find any of these…

Average home price in Ottawa right now is about 620K.

That's pretty reasonable, ( comparatively speaking, of course ).

Toronto Housing Market Report

Detached home average price increased by 0.3% year-over-year to $1.44M.

Market Report Summary for February 2024

Updated March 5th, 2024

Pretty busy NYE at Union Station.

Gardiner was heavy too. Good luck finding parking.

I decided in 13 not to go into retirement owing anything outside typical bills like taxes, utilities etc. I paid off my mortgage and was free and clear of any other debt. Best move I ever made. Now I pay cash for almost everything.

I decided in 13 not to go into retirement owing anything outside typical bills like taxes, utilities etc. I paid off my mortgage and was free and clear of any other debt. Best move I ever made. Now I pay cash for almost everything.

Ok boomer. ;)

This is the ideal scenario when approaching retirement, however with the cost of living, most Canadians will work forever. At least in the CAF, you can set yourself up (every situation is different) with a pension and equally or more salaried position in the private/public sector without all the shenanigans of being in the CAF.

Similar situation in Toronto.

City staff say in a new report that Toronto owns 300 parking lots, typically managed by the Toronto Parking Authority, many of which wouldn't be suitable for conversion. However, staff say their examination of those lots shows 130 could potentially support housing.
Using parking lots for other things seems to be a global trend,

Saw something similar at a local park. They permanently closed the main vehicle entrance.

Made parts of the park "car-free" at all times, and reduced it's parking spaces by 60 per cent.

This luck or opportunity will never come back for the next generations to come.

A typical 3-rooms bedroom home here in Quebec is roughly 550 000$. Add to that a 6% interest rate and a cash-down of 50 000$ for a 30 year period. Monthly costs of your mortgage will be roughy 3 000$, and i'm not even adding all the related costs to this; taxes, utilities, food, gas, and so on.

If housing costs should be around 30% of your monthly income, that means you need to do at least 9 000$ a month before income, or 150 000$ a year, which is not your average Canadian.

Here in Quebec, 60% of the population lives on an income of 50 000$ and less. Only 40% of us are making more than 50 000$/year. This is effing crazy.

A typical 3-rooms bedroom home here in Quebec is roughly 550 000$.

That is high.

Even higher in Ontario,

In Feb. 2024, detached houses in Toronto sold for an average of $1.6 million.

Even parking is expensive.

At least in the CAF, you can set yourself up (every situation is different) with a pension and equally or more salaried position in the private/public sector without all the shenanigans of being in the CAF.

If a member can tolerate "the shenanigans of being in the CAF" ( Regular Force ), and some muni employers, for 35 years, s/he can still retire on a 70% pension.

Still under the age of 55 and never having to work again.

An increase from a 2% accural rate to 2.33% would allow members with 30 years of service to GTFO, and still retire at 70%.

Back