• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Commander of 8 Wing Trenton arrested, charged in hunting incident

Wait, we have to secure our long guns now as well? OMG! When did this start?

Wait, we have to secure our long guns now as well? OMG! When did this start?
With Bill C-68. From the Storage Display and Transport Regulations:

"Storage of Non-Restricted Firearms
  • 5(1) An individual may store a non-restricted firearm only if
    • (a) it is unloaded;
    • (b) it is
      • (i) rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device,
      • (ii) rendered inoperable by the removal of the bolt or bolt-carrier, or
      • (iii) stored in a container, receptacle or room that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into; and
    • (c) it is not readily accessible to ammunition, unless the ammunition is stored, together with or separately from the firearm, in a container or receptacle that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into."

As a non-gun owner, would 5(1) (b) (i) include something like a trigger lock?

If I'm reading it correctly, the long gun needs to be unloaded, locked up (or unable to fire) and have the ammo also locked up in a separate container?

As a non-gun owner, would 5(1) (b) (i) include something like a trigger lock?

If I'm reading it correctly, the long gun needs to be unloaded, locked up (or unable to fire) and have the ammo also locked up in a separate container?
You could have the long gun together with ammo in a proper gun safe. Ammo has to be secure in a ‘container or receptacle, while the unrestricted firearm can be in one of those or also in a ‘room’.

5(1)(b)(i) would include a trigger lock, yes.

You could have the long gun together with ammo in a proper gun safe. Ammo has to be secure in a ‘container or receptacle, while the unrestricted firearm can be in one of those or also in a ‘room’.

Thanks, that seems reasonable for a city dwelling hunter or target shooter but probably not practical for something like a farm or someone living remotely in an area with bears, coyotes etc.

I guess you are probably at pretty low risk though of getting arrested for that, unless you do something like drunkenly duck hunt in the middle of a small city, throw your weapons in the canal and whatever else you are doing as part of a 'cunning plan'.

Thanks, that seems reasonable for a city dwelling hunter or target shooter but probably not practical for something like a farm or someone living remotely in an area with bears, coyotes etc.

I guess you are probably at pretty low risk though of getting arrested for that, unless you do something like drunkenly duck hunt in the middle of a small city, throw your weapons in the canal and whatever else you are doing as part of a 'cunning plan'.

Pretty much, yeah. Nobody’s going after farmers for having a rifle handy to pop coyotes going after the poultry.

The Regulations address that, as well:
  • (2) Paragraph (1)(b) does not apply to any individual who stores a non-restricted firearm temporarily if the individual reasonably requires it for the control of predators or other animals in a place where it may be discharged in accordance with all applicable Acts of Parliament and of the legislature of a province, regulations made under such Acts, and municipal by-laws.
  • (3) Paragraphs (1)(b) and (c) do not apply to an individual who stores a non-restricted firearm in a location that is in a remote wilderness area that is not subject to any visible or otherwise reasonably ascertainable use incompatible with hunting.

Pretty much, yeah. Nobody’s going after farmers for having a rifle handy to pop coyotes going after the poultry.
The Liberal "centralized storage" proposals from a few years ago were built around the premise that any exigent need to dispatch nuisance wildlife would be the responsibility of local police or conservation officers only. How many chickens can one coyote eat given the rural response times to an emergency by police are measured in half hour increments? In most provinces CO's are spread ridiculously thinner than police.

Under the previous regs, there was no requirement for NR firearms to have trigger locks if in a gun safe or room/space designed or modified to store firearms. As I recall 85% of unsafe storage charges are dropped, from a statistic I saw on the NFA site quite a few years ago. In one case, two senior lawyers and a Judge struggled to come up with a definition that was usable and relevant. Then there was the case in Toronto, where the Crown tried to charge a guy for unsafe storage, when it took the bad guys 3 days to break into his gun safes when he was away.

I have a couple of former hard blue trade buddies who became plank holders at DHTC.
Even a CF-18 driver or two have been known to kick a door or two. Maybe Cold Lake isn’t on everyone’s love list.

Back