• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Commander of 8 Wing Trenton arrested, charged in hunting incident

You would think he would be considered a flight risk.
Joke Drums GIF by Bax Music

I'm not hearing anything from those who complain about police getting paid while awaiting court decisions here.........

We'd have a lot less issues with manning and malingering if people were only paid while they were on duty, after all their leave and sick days were used up. I'm sure the COL won't mind the same pay without the pesky issue of doing his job as a BCOMD.

We'd have a lot less issues with manning and malingering if people were only paid while they were on duty, after all their leave and sick days were used up. I'm sure the COL won't mind the same pay without the pesky issue of doing his job as a BCOMD.
Or we'd have a worse staffing problem caused by people seeing the organization as not having their backs...

Reminds me of the time I was sitting in the mess in Shilo having a beer - yes, there were times I drank alone in those days - when Carl Gustafson came in wearing his winter whites covered from head to foot in blood (In Manitoba hunters had to wear white) and asked me if I'd help him drag a deer out of the bush. I did. Dug around in the gut pile for the heart and found Carl had pretty much shredded it with a direct hit.

It was a lot lighter than that moose, but point taken.

;)
As in the anti tank weapon? I could see that tenderizing things.

I mean, that is slightly circumstantial.... The real determining factor will be how long it appears that the firearm was in the water for.
Presumably they have further evidence to have laid the charge. They also got a search warrant for a residence, meaning they had reasonable grounds to believe that an offence was committed and that evidence of the offence would be found within the residence. My wild guess is they went in to find proof that he owned the firearm(s). They may have found other evidence such as indications of unsafe storage.

With a bit of luck someone from the media will be smart enough to request a copy of the search warrant application from the provincial court. If released, that would tell a lot of the story.

Nope. Just a typical soft-point bullet.

šŸ»
Ah, okay. I know that it's actual Carl Gustaf, and wasn't the actual name of the inventors, just seemed like it would be useful to clarify.

When I was younger, there was a guy that got investigated for using C4 to blow up a beaver dam, and then when they talked to him it turned out he had a whole basement full of all kinds of crazy stuff, kind of like that farmer in 'Hot Fuzz' with a huge arsenal that included an anti ship mine. The bomb disposal guys were there for a while.

Ah, okay. I know that it's actual Carl Gustaf, and wasn't the actual name of the inventors, just seemed like it would be useful to clarify.

When I was younger, there was a guy that got investigated for using C4 to blow up a beaver dam, and then when they talked to him it turned out he had a whole basement full of all kinds of crazy stuff, kind of like that farmer in 'Hot Fuzz' with a huge arsenal that included an anti ship mine. The bomb disposal guys were there for a while.
:ROFLMAO: Now I get it - no. Carl Gustafson was an officer in my regiment at the time.

šŸ»

Or we'd have a worse staffing problem caused by people seeing the organization as not having their backs...

They are free to test the real world where you are not paid if you don't show up for work. Probably for a different thread.....

Give him a conditional release, no jail time, on the account of courts being backed up.

The primary case relied on in Canadian employment law to determine whether to suspend someone from work without pay is the Ontario Jockey Club (1977) test.
  • Does the presence of the grievor in the workplace gives rise to a serious and immediate risk?
  • Is the nature of the charge is such as to be potentially harmful to the Employerā€™s reputation?
  • Does the charge render the employee unable to perform his or her duties, or
  • Does the charge have a harmful effect on other employees or customers?
    • The Employer must investigate the criminal charge in an attempt to assess the risk of continued employment.
    • The Employer must take reasonable steps to ascertain whether the risk of continued employment might be mitigated.
    • There is a continued onus on the Employer to consider reinstatement if new facts or circumstances come to the attention of the Employer.
See: Leave with pay or without pay while criminal charges are pending? | HR Atlantic | Labour Relations, PEI, Nova Scotia, NB, NL

I mean, that is slightly circumstantial.... The real determining factor will be how long it appears that the firearm was in the water for.
Not really.

The original article said that a firearm was thrown from the boat. This may have been witnessed by the same person who made the hunting complaint, leading to that firearm being recovered by the OPP relatively quickly ( it takes time to deploy a dive team). He was charged criminally with with obstruct police and careless use of a firearm, plus provincial fish & game charges. That investigation led to a search warrant being issued for his residence and subsequently a second firearm was recovered from the same canal and he was charged with unsafe storage. How long the second firearm was in the water is immaterial if it was his firearm. You can't store a firearm in a canal and any lost firearm must be reported as per CCC 105 (1)(a).

It can be assumed that he was a PAL holder as no charges of unauthorized possession were laid.

Which are both located in Medley, AB. Gotta love making things more complex, despite being irrelevant, just for technicalities sake.
Nope. There are important distinctions between a Wing and a Base. Bases lodge units. Wings use base facilities to functions. We have 2 Wings in Bagotville.

20230831_233725.jpg

20230831_233713.jpg

These won the internet today šŸ¤£

On a more serious note, the Colonel was probably inebriated (just a guess seeing as he was on leave) and will no doubt be regretting his poor decisions/choices. I know plenty of otherwise pretty capable people that have made some seriously bad choices and I say that as someone who has also made plenty.

I still say that we'd all be in jail if we all had the opportunity to be judged at our worst moments.

Career Fires, Career Stops! Check!

My rough understanding is that 8 Wing is the flying side units and their support, whereas CFB Trenton is the infrastructure and some of the units/sections that support it.

For 90-95% of the people posted to Trenton(or any other location) the distinction means nothing, and has zero impact on their lives.

Like CFB Halifax and MARLANTā€¦

Like CFB Halifax and MARLANTā€¦
Not at all the same. CFB Halifax is commanded by a Capt(N) Base Commander. MARLANT is a Formation commanded by a Rear Admiral, whose headquarters is located within CFB Halifax.

The Air Force structure, where the Base Commander is sometimes also the Wing Commander, but not always, is much more confusing than the more straightforward Navy structure.

Back