• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Command Badges

Taptrick

Inactive
Reaction score
I graduated from the Canadian Forces Leadership & Recruit School (CFLRS) in St-Jean, Qc this summer and for the graduation parade we were given command badges (that is, the metallic badge worn on the right breast pocket of the DEU) that represent the Chief Military Personnel insignia (bottom left http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/acm-scp/index-eng.asp)...  I'm not really sure what it represents (feel free to educate me on this matter) but I was wondering if I should still wear it.  I was told that I would receive an Air Command badge (bottom of the page http://www.mpmuseum.org/securbadge3.html) to replace it but I'm not even sure they give those anymore.  I often see people wearing the Land Forces Command badge but I've never seen anyone with the Air Command's...

I know the commanding officer normally has the power to issue the instructions on those "wear/don't wear" things  so it varies from one unit to another but still, if anyone could help?

The Commanding Officer of a Unit DOES NOT decide whether or not you wear a Command Badge.  The decision as to what Command Badge you wear will be determined by what Command you belong to.  You don't have any choice as to what Command Badge you wear, nor does a Unit CO.  If you belong to Air Command, you will wear the Air Command Badge.  If you belong to Training Systems then you will wear their badge.  If you belong to Land Force Command, then you will wear their Command Badge.  What Element your DEU may be is also NOT a factor as to what Badge you wear.  The Command that you belong to is the deciding factor.

Well George Wallace, you have just made me realise that the obvious is, in fact, pretty obvious  ;)

The only thing I don't really get is: why is so many people not wearing command badges?

Taptrick said:
The only thing I don't really get is: why is so many people not wearing command badges?

Probably because Clothing Stores is constantly frequently out of them.  ;)

PMedMoe said:
Probably because Clothing Stores is constantly frequently out of them.  ;)

The air force doesnt have one........thats a good reason not to wear one.

CDN Aviator said:
The air force doesnt have one........thats a good reason not to wear one.

Neither does the Navy.

Dimsum said:
Neither does the Navy.

Really?

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Canada-NAVY-enameled-Maritime-Command-chest-badge_W0QQitemZ330354770250QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4ceaadc14a

is something I've seen worn by sailors...

I double checked my answer with a PLQ Instructor.

Yes, the MARCOM badge for sale on eBay was in use when we all wore the unification green uniform. Once we went to the current DEU, this command badge has not been authorized for use.

For a moment I thought I had been wearing my uniform incorrectly the past 13 years.  ;)

Taptrick said:
I graduated from the Canadian Forces Leadership & Recruit School (CFLRS) in St-Jean, Qc this summer and for the graduation parade we were given command badges (that is, the metallic badge worn on the right breast pocket of the DEU) that represent the Chief Military Personnel insignia (bottom left http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/acm-scp/index-eng.asp)...  I'm not really sure what it represents (feel free to educate me on this matter) but I was wondering if I should still wear it.  I was told that I would receive an Air Command badge (bottom of the page http://www.mpmuseum.org/securbadge3.html) to replace it but I'm not even sure they give those anymore.  I often see people wearing the Land Forces Command badge but I've never seen anyone with the Air Command's..
If you are currently posted to a CFRG School, then you should be wearing he CMP Command pin.  If you are at a school  that falls under 2 CAD, then you should not be wearing the CMP Command badge.

The VCDS Group doesn't have a command badge either.  If you're being posted to any of the CF training establishments, they fall under Chief of Military Personnel and, therefore, you would wear the Military Personnel Command badge while there.

Yes, the MARCOM badge for sale on eBay was in use when we all wore the unification green uniform. Once we went to the current DEU, this command badge has not been authorized for use.

For a moment I thought I had been wearing my uniform incorrectly the past 13 years.  ;)

I personally think it'd be nice to see the MARCOM badge come back into service.  I think it (command badges) look quite nice on the naval tunics.

Haggis said:
If you're being posted to any of the CF training establishments, they fall under Chief of Military Personnel and, therefore, you would wear the Military Personnel Command badge while there.
That is simply not true.  The Area Training Centres belong to the Army.  Everything in CTC (including its Ontario Schools) belong to the Army.  All the 2 CAD training establishments belong to the Air Force.  I'm also pretty sure that on at least one coast you will find Navy owned schools.

Haggis said:
The VCDS Group doesn't have a command badge either.  If you're being posted to any of the CF training establishments, they fall under Chief of Military Personnel and, therefore, you would wear the Military Personnel Command badge while there.

Actually, CMP owns the recruit school in St Jean, CFSAL in Borden, the MilCols in Kingston and St Jean, and a few other purple schools - most training establishments are owned by the ECSes (Navy, Army and Air Force).

Okay... so the command badge with the lion on it? Which one is that? I was wondering why we all got the same one, I guess this answers that.

That's the one I got at CFLRS this summer and still have it...

Why, if I am in a NAVY uniform with no other Command Badge ( currently I wear the CMP) would I need to wear a a MARCOM badge? The fact that I am IN an Navy uniform would tell you that I belong to MARCOM. We used to wear the MACOM sheild when we wore the green uniform so people knew we were Navy or Sea Element. It's pretty much a no brainer now even with a CMP badge that I am Navy. All a badge  does is give me something else to keep straight on my tunic and it gets lost in my locker on the ship.  The Army is huge on shiny stuff on their uniforms. There is usually some tradition  behind it. What I would like to see is a cloth crest for my NCDs while I'm working  here.

FDO said:
The Army is huge on shiny stuff on their uniforms. There is usually some tradition  behind it. 

Its more part of the army culture than tradition...

FDO said:
The fact that I am IN an Navy uniform would tell you that I belong to MARCOM.
No it does not.  Having a navy uniform does not preclude you from being posted to any of the different level 1.  You can wear a Navy uniform and be posted to the Army, the Air Force, ADM(Mat), VCDS, CANOSCOM, etc, etc.  At the same time, pers in Army or Air uniforms can be posted to the Navy.  The colour of your uniform does not tell where you belong.

MCG said:
No it does not.  Having a navy uniform does not preclude you from being posted to any of the different level 1.  You can wear a Navy uniform and be posted to the Army, the Air Force, ADM(Mat), VCDS, CANOSCOM, etc, etc.  At the same time, pers in Army or Air uniforms can be posted to the Navy.  The colour of your uniform does not tell where you belong.

I never said I couldn't be posted to an Army base. As a Bos'n (hard sea trade) I am now posted to CMP! I said I didn't need a Maritime Command Badge to show I was in the Navy when I was wearing a Navy uniform. My wife is also posted to an Army unit and as such wears the Land Force Command Badge. However, it is very easy to tell she is Navy. When I am posted back to a ship do I need to wear a badge on my Navy uniform to tell you I am in the Navy? No!

FDO said:
Why, if I am in a NAVY uniform with no other Command Badge ( currently I wear the CMP) would I need to wear a a MARCOM badge? The fact that I am IN an Navy uniform would tell you that I belong to MARCOM. We used to wear the MACOM sheild when we wore the green uniform so people knew we were Navy or Sea Element. It's pretty much a no brainer now even with a CMP badge that I am Navy. All a badge  does is give me something else to keep straight on my tunic and it gets lost in my locker on the ship.  The Army is huge on shiny stuff on their uniforms. There is usually some tradition  behind it. What I would like to see is a cloth crest for my NCDs while I'm working  here.

Applause.

I have no idea what value a command badge adds to the planet, or army.

I'm in an army brigade, which is part of ..... uh... should be a division but we'll let that one slide. In any case, I know I'm in the army, everyone else knows I'm in the army (the kilt is a dead give away, I know, but humour me here). Why do I need a cheesy little enamel pocket badge to confirm that fact?

I've still got my old man's 3 Div shoulder patch, which really meant something at one time. I'll hang onto it in case the army decides to reintroduce it. :cheers:

Back