• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Comm Research

A few questions guys,

Are there any postings for Comm Researches outside of Canada?

Hey guys,

I hear that Comms Research operators can wait a year or two for their security clearance and that in that time they do fairly meaningless work. Not sure if its true or not. I asked my recruiter about taking school courses, on my own time, during that period and he told me that one should wait until his corporals before starting some kind of education.

If I'll be sitting around cleaning trucks for a year or two seems odd that I couldn't take some classes, especially if they are related to comms research trade.

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks,

It's the same in most trades. It's sad but the training system is so far behind that people wait months and months to get clearances or to get put on training courses.

Keep asking through your chain of command (whomever is directly responsible for you right now).

Clearances aren't the training system, it's another federal department that handles all federal clearances.

As for meaningless work, you can ask for OJT at units related to your trade, but you're not being paid to go to school while you wait. By all means get an ILP approved and upgrade your education, but don't expect that means you won't be sent on taskings because of it.

Having attended and taught at another School that requires a higher Security Clearance, eventually the School had to rewrite its courses to teach the material that was not security sensitive and allow for the flow of candidates to continue.  As they gained their Clearances, they could then be employed in Secure Areas and do OJT relevant to their Trade. 

Comms Research may find that difficult just by the nature of their jobs.

I am amazed that some of these backlogs holding students back, don't result in the Schools sending their people of to Crses that are secondary skills required for their Trade.  There are Driver Crses that candidates would require.  I am sure there are Basic Comms Crses that teach VP and Radio operating procedures that they could be placed on.  It is incomprehensible to me as to why candidates can not be loaded on other Crses (Other than their Trade's Core Crses.) while they wait, to get skills that they will need as Trained members in their Trades.

There are two issues at play with that.  First, candidates who haven't reached the Operationally Functional Point (OFP) in their trade (i.e., QL3 or DP1 qualified) simply can't take any course that requires being at OFP as a pre-requisite.  That rules out most courses with a qual code.

Of the few remaining courses they can take "pre-DP1", the most important is probably the Driver Wheeled Course...which is becoming more and more difficult to get as Whole Fleet Management and drawdowns to various wheeled fleets (like the LSVW) mens there aren't enough vehicles available to run the courses at the Divisional Trg Areas.

And of course, if the courses get pushed off on the units, they aren't going to have much space for Pre-DP1 candidates on OJT...who may not even get posted to the unit in the end.

All that being said, CFSCE does try its best to get decent OJTs for Comm Rsch candidates awaiting security clearances and also to get them Driver Wheeled or other courses (but it is becoming harder to do the latter).

George Wallace said:
I am amazed that some of these backlogs holding students back, don't result in the Schools sending their people of to Crses that are secondary skills required for their Trade.  There are Driver Crses that candidates would require.  I am sure there are Basic Comms Crses that teach VP and Radio operating procedures that they could be placed on.  It is incomprehensible to me as to why candidates can not be loaded on other Crses (Other than their Trade's Core Crses.) while they wait, to get skills that they will need as Trained members in their Trades.

Also, 50% of the Comm Rsch trade will never use a Drv Wheeled or Basic Comms course. They go to Letrim and work in a steel box with no windows, never to see a LSVW unless they're posted to 21 EW. It would be a waste of CAF training dollars, unless the Career Manager already designated certain individuals to be posted to EW right out of the school, before they even commence training.

The idea that some of them will go to Leitrim and never need to drive is a bit misleading; 21 EW Regt is larger than 2 (EW) Sqn was (and still growing slowly) and the demographics of first postings has changed.  The Regt should focus its efforts on Bison (and eventually LAV6) Driver courses.  Also, no one thought about the eventuality of deployed ops when they think about Driver Wheeled courses...they aren't something that can be delivered "just in time" very easily.  Comm Rsch does need the LFC Driver Wheeled course - before they go on DP1.

Actually, the CWO/CPO1s in the Comm Rsch trade are looking at that issue, and I suspect the Comm Rsch Occupation Specification will eventually be amended to make Driver Wheeled a required course for the trade.

PuckChaser said:
Also, 50% of the Comm Rsch trade will never use a Drv Wheeled or Basic Comms course. They go to Letrim and work in a steel box with no windows, never to see a LSVW unless they're posted to 21 EW. It would be a waste of CAF training dollars, unless the Career Manager already designated certain individuals to be posted to EW right out of the school, before they even commence training.

OldCrow said:
Actually, the CWO/CPO1s in the Comm Rsch trade are looking at that issue, and I suspect the Comm Rsch Occupation Specification will eventually be amended to make Driver Wheeled a required course for the trade.

Which is super interesting, because ACISS is looking at/will be getting rid of the Drv Wheeled pre-req for the DP1.0 courses, further downloading training to the units.

Driver wheeled would definitely be an asset, but the largest issue is that Comm Rsch DP1 training is next to useless for a new Pte at 21 EW. When you have a 50ish week training calender just to get someone ready to deploy, with absolutely 0 whitespace, then the DP1 course writ-large needs to be redone to stop them from having to dedicate massive amounts of time to learning basic equipment. Driver wheeled at 3 weeks is just a drop in the bucket.

Yes.  By selection and contingent on successfully completing an OUTCAN screening (and any other requirements imposed by the country sponsoring the posting).  And generally only once you reach the rank of MCpl; I can only think of a very few at the Cpl rank.

methionine said:
A few questions guys,

Are there any postings for Comm Researches outside of Canada?

I'm not sure that dropping LFC Dvr Wh for the ACISS trade is a done deal yet, although CFSCE has been accepting a far lower percentage of DP1 candidates having the course (out of reluctant necessity).

As for EW Trg writ large, there was a very detailed analysis of the training reqrs of the Regt at all ranks/levels done this year...so I expect changes to be proposed some time soon.

Thanks everyone who contributed to this thread it helped me decide on a shot at this career path.  I've read this thread in its entirety twice and there was another 10 page Comm Research thread that I read through as well.

I have one question and it's in regards to facial hair.

I know you must shave daily in Basic and more than likely on PAT and I think on any future deployments.  But I was wondering how strict the facial hair policy is once you get posted.  Say once I reach Cpl with QL5 and get posted at Leitrim or 21ew and start the appropriate shift work, is there any leniency on a well groomed beard?

The answer won't have any bearing on what I decide to do going forwards.

bodog said:
I have one question and it's in regards to facial hair.

The Shaving Superthread- All You Want and More.... 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/4171.600.html
25 pages.

bodog said:
is there any leniency on a well groomed beard?

All things beard-y (regs, memos, Army/Navy) - merged 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/29581.350.html
15 pages.

bodog said:
I know you must shave daily in Basic and more than likely on PAT and I think on any future deployments.  But I was wondering how strict the facial hair policy is once you get posted.  Say once I reach Cpl with QL5 and get posted at Leitrim or 21ew and start the appropriate shift work, is there any leniency on a well groomed beard?

The answer won't have any bearing on what I decide to do going forwards.

If you're in the Army or RCAF, you're shaving everyday you report to work. If you're Navy (posted ashore and after memo approved), have weak ski n on your face, or are a Vandoo, you might get to have a beard.

PuckChaser said:
If you're in the Army or RCAF, you're shaving everyday you report to work. If you're Navy (posted ashore and after memo approved), have weak ski n on your face, or are a Vandoo, you might get to have a beard.

Based on what you just said and what I read on the other thread would this mean picking the Navy uniform for Comm Research would actually give me a facial hair benefit?  I know the uniform's have no effect on postings etc in this trade and its basically based on what boots you want to wear, I was thinking Army for combat boots but if a Navy uniform gets me facial hair I would choose that.

I suppose you can ask for a naval uniform but it will depend on the needs of the CAF as to which element you get assigned.

Cheers

Andraste

If you grow a crappy beard, you won't be allowed to keep it. You'll also get offered an element based on the needs of the CAF. If you're trying to decide based on beards and boots, you realistically have no idea what you're doing so just take what element they give you. Despite what some people at NDHQ think, the CAF is not a fashion show.

PuckChaser said:
If you grow a crappy beard, you won't be allowed to keep it. You'll also get offered an element based on the needs of the CAF. If you're trying to decide based on beards and boots, you realistically have no idea what you're doing so just take what element they give you. Despite what some people at NDHQ think, the CAF is not a fashion show.

It's not that I'm trying to decide based on beards and boots.  I want to be in the Comm Rsch trade 100% regardless if I get facial hair or not.  I'm planning on sending in my online application tonight or tomorrow and I just wanted to figure out if there is a benefit to each uniform even despite this being a purple trade.

I'm currently 28, a  clean-cut beard compliments me well.  I will gladly join the forces and do the job to the best of my ability should I be accepted, even if I have to be baby-faced for the rest of my life.  But if selecting a different element on my application sheet is going to have an effect on whether I get a chance to have a beard in the future I just wanted to find that out beforehand.

But from what it sounds like, it doesn't matter which element I apply for, they will offer me whatever they offer me?

I know this seems like trivial shit to you, believe me.  I just don't want to be 15 years down the road and kicking myself in the ass for not asking this before submitting application.

Think of it this way, how do you think you're going to do in the interview if the recruiter asks you why you chose RCN as your element and you answer with "Because they're allowed to have beards, and I look better with a beard."

Back