• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Combat/Utility Blades and Cold Weather

Blackhorse7

Inactive
Reaction score
I saw an interesting comment in Tactical Knives Magazine.   It asked what sorts of tests or results were found when a combat/utility blade was used in cold or extreme cold weather.

I found this to be something I had never really thought of, which is surprising considering where we all live.   Anyone have any comments or experiences with using a knife in cold weather?   Be specific, like did the blade break?   Was the handle harder to be comfortable with than in warm weather?   What sort of knife was it?   You get the point...

Ha Ha... the point... I made a funny...   :dontpanic:

I've used both the issued FE knife and my leatherman out in all types of weather,including Wainwright cold and have never run across any problems as long as you don't put your tongue on the blade.

Thanks, Tips.  ;D

Actually, my kid did that just yesterday to a pole.  What is the FE knife?  The Ghromann CF Knife?

I beleive he is refering to the issue "field engineer" Russel belt knife.  I was issued one when i was a 041 but had to turn it in when i got my OT.  Only to be reissued it because aircrews get it as well.  Its not a bad knife, just doesn't keep a sharp edge for long, always gotta sharpen it.

Ever try snapping open your tactical folder with a big pair fleece winter gloves on.......?  Totally different spin on it.  Don't want to even try it with a pair of mitts...

Kal said:
Ever try snapping open your tactical folder with a big pair fleece winter gloves on.......?   Totally different spin on it.   Don't want to even try it with a pair of mitts...

I don't like folding knives for exactly that reason.  I stick with the issued Russel knife or my trusty old K-Bar.

K-Bar while not in the field, but in civvie-land, aesop081?

I find the Spyderco Military a good knife to carry if you are wearing gloves, and it now comes in a more PC shorter length.  The original is quite large for a folding pocket knife.  I have a K-bar, but i'm not crazy about how thin the blade is... I think I'd like something a little thicker, like a Cold Steel SRK.  But again, I want it to function good in the cold (ie not have the edge get brittle).

Kal said:
K-Bar while not in the field, but in civvie-land, aesop081?

I'm not sure i understand what you are asking !!!!  ( could be that its just late and all)

Blackhorse7 said:
I find the Spyderco Military a good knife to carry if you are wearing gloves, and it now comes in a more PC shorter length. The original is quite large for a folding pocket knife. I have a K-bar, but i'm not crazy about how thin the blade is... I think I'd like something a little thicker, like a Cold Steel SRK. But again, I want it to function good in the cold (ie not have the edge get brittle).

I have never had problems with the blade on my K-Bar and i have had it for years and put it trough alot of heavy stuff.  I tried a few models of Spyderco knives but was never realy able to take a strong liking to any of them.

Sorry, that I wasn't more clearer in my statement.  I meant to say, you carry your K-Bar while not in the field but when just milling around town?  I find that cold steel makes some of the best knives for the money on the market.  I have found that handles made from kryton don't get brittle nor uncomfortable in the cold.  Tanto tip/blade is great too.  The tip has a lot of reinforcing because of how 'fat' it is (from spine to edge).  Para-cord wrapped handles are nice too, can wrap them until it fits your hand nicely, good grip wet and cold,  although they are more affected by the weather. 

Kal said:
Sorry, that I wasn't more clearer in my statement.   I meant to say, you carry your K-Bar while not in the field but when just milling around town?   I find that cold steel makes some of the best knives for the money on the market.   I have found that handles made from kryton don't get brittle nor uncomfortable in the cold.   Tanto tip/blade is great too.   The tip has a lot of reinforcing because of how 'fat' it is (from spine to edge).   Para-cord wrapped handles are nice too, can wrap them until it fits your hand nicely, good grip wet and cold,   although they are more affected by the weather.    

Well, since my job doesn't involve too much "filed" anymore...... I carry the issued Russel knife in the left leg pocket of my flight suit and my K-Bar is in my bag ( just in case).

What about when not working though?  Like when going to see a movie with your wife/lady friend....?

Kal said:
What about when not working though?   Like when going to see a movie with your wife/lady friend....?

I must have missed the part where we were talking "not at work", sorry.  No i do not carry any knives on me when i'm out with the girlfreind, or any other time for that matter.  The only time i have a knife on me in civy land is if i am still in flight suit at the store or at hooters after work or something like that.

Hey Scotty,

I know what you mean about the edge on the russel, i used to think it needed to be razor sharp but now i just keep it in good order.  The sheath is not of very good quality so i went to a local knife shop and got a very good reinforced nylon one to used on the aircraft. Thats the knife i plan to take to CFSSAT for the SERE course later this year anyways.  Good to se the pics of you on AWWC......make me glad i remustered.

Cheers,

Pat

My dog finally was the end of my Russell issued sheath... but up until then, it served me well.  I made sure to oil it and take as good care of it as I did my knife though...

aesop081 said:
Hey Scotty,

I know what you mean about the edge on the russel, i used to think it needed to be razor sharp but now i just keep it in good order.   The sheath is not of very good quality so i went to a local knife shop and got a very good reinforced nylon one to used on the aircraft. Thats the knife i plan to take to CFSSAT for the SERE course later this year anyways.   Good to se the pics of you on AWWC......make me glad i remustered.

Cheers,

Pat

You can leave your knife at home.  You'll be issued a Russel at CFSSAT.

Cold Steel Master Hunter.  really strong and thick blade, not a folding knife, and it has a rubberized handle with the big hollow brass grommet to tie it on to something.  Plus it holds a wicked edge.  The sheath coulod be a little nicer, like a nice GRP or nylon job, but the leather never failed me in the Artic.  When I fist got it, and was keen to show the genius behind my purchase, I demonstrated to a bunch of other gunners how effective it was at opening 105 boxes.  Well, it opened all that were tossed from the truck, but now it carries a few ugly dents.  I reflected on what I had done to my really expensive knife and wondered why I had used it as a 3 dollar pry bar.  From then on I decided to use the right tool for the job.  The worts thing to happen to this knife so far has been me using it to cut an orange.  The metal is a very high carbon blade, so it is crazy strong, holds a really good edge, but unless it is constantly oiled, it will corrode.  I cut an orange, wiped the blade clean, and the next day it had changed froma  nice dull silver to a very dark grey.  House of knives said they don't cover that kind of damage, and now it doesn't get used for citrus fruit.  I did squirt some CLP into the sheath about 5 years ago, a good amount, and it has never again received any corrosive damage as it lives in oil.  But as a strong knife that can do that trick of cutting the inch thick hanging manilla rope, you can't go wrong with this. 

Back