• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Combat Engineers

greenmachine said:
Engineers allow the troops to move and fight in the field, and deny the same to the enemy. Simples.
But what I ment when I asked the question on the forum is: would they use their primary role "to allow friendly troops to live,fight,move and deny the same to the enemy" in combat, seeing as apparently Infantry dosent have Assault Pioneers anymore

CadetPAT said:
But what I ment when I asked the question on the forum is: would they use their primary role "to allow friendly troops to live,fight,move and deny the same to the enemy" in combat, seeing as apparently Infantry dosent have Assault Pioneers anymore

Read your question over a few times, carefully, and if the answer doesn't jump out and Chuck Norris you between the eyes, I would be greatly surprised

CadetPAT said:

Why wouldn't they.  The fact that the Infantry don't have Pioneers anymore (there is no apparently, the Infantry as of right now don't have pioneers) means that the engineers are more busy doing their primary role.  Maybe I am just tired but I don't really understand what you are asking.

Why would they use it? Because that's their job...The infantry not having pioneers means the Engineer's opportunity to operate in their primary role increases tenfold.

greenmachine said:
Why would they use it? Because that's their job...The infantry not having pioneers means the Engineer's opportunity to operate in their primary role increases tenfold.
So thats a big yes to my question, pardon my slowness

Infantry need to capture point A, starting from point B. Enemy places IEDs, fences, gaps (think trenches, rivers, or craters), minefields in the way. The engineers are there to blow-up, remove, bridge over/under/through, clear those obstacles so that Mr Infantry can close with and bayonet the enemy.

The engineers then do the same when the enemy conducts the same in reverse. We place minefields (gasp, only anti-tank don't worry), blow up bridges, blow craters in roads, drop trees on roads, dig big trenches and once upon a time place booby-traps everywhere but our enemies refusal to fight far away from gormless civilians has meant we can't do that anymore.

As previously stated, it all depends on what is happening at the time. I spent 50% of my last tour blatting off just as many rouds as my infantry couterparts, whereas another section might have gone months with nary a single shot fired their way. We helped construct the COP we were at, searched for IED's and other contraband, but when all hell broke loose we were just another couple of riflemen in the section.

What do engineers do that has LEO applications? Think about one thing. Counter-terrorist search. Sure, the infantry get taught all-arms search, but if you really want to find something that is hidden, and potentially protected by nasty things that go bang, then it is the engineer job. I think this 'might' have an LEO application. Not to mention the whole CIED/EOD thing, but let's not get you spinning about doing the hurt locker just yet young jedi.

You need to really get a grip on what it is Law enforcement is about, as you seem to be looking at the reserves as a stepping stone towards that goal. Very original I might add. Tactics/combat experience is relevant maybe 1-2% of the time. Guess what the rest is. Boring routine, people skills, and administration.

Helicopter Insertion Instructor
Basic/Advanced Mountain Ops
Basic Recce
Patrol Pathfinder
Arctic Operations Advisor
Urban Ops Instructor
...the list goes on.

Towards_the_gap said:
Infantry need to capture point A, starting from point B. Enemy places IEDs, fences, gaps (think trenches, rivers, or craters), minefields in the way. The engineers are there to blow-up, remove, bridge over/under/through, clear those obstacles so that Mr Infantry can close with and bayonet the enemy.

The engineers then do the same when the enemy conducts the same in reverse. We place minefields (gasp, only anti-tank don't worry), blow up bridges, blow craters in roads, drop trees on roads, dig big trenches and once upon a time place booby-traps everywhere but our enemies refusal to fight far away from gormless civilians has meant we can't do that anymore.

As previously stated, it all depends on what is happening at the time. I spent 50% of my last tour blatting off just as many rouds as my infantry couterparts, whereas another section might have gone months with nary a single shot fired their way. We helped construct the COP we were at, searched for IED's and other contraband, but when all hell broke loose we were just another couple of riflemen in the section.

What do engineers do that has LEO applications? Think about one thing. Counter-terrorist search. Sure, the infantry get taught all-arms search, but if you really want to find something that is hidden, and potentially protected by nasty things that go bang, then it is the engineer job. I think this 'might' have an LEO application. Not to mention the whole CIED/EOD thing, but let's not get you spinning about doing the hurt locker just yet young jedi.

You need to really get a grip on what it is Law enforcement is about, as you seem to be looking at the reserves as a stepping stone towards that goal. Very original I might add. Tactics/combat experience is relevant maybe 1-2% of the time. Guess what the rest is. Boring routine, people skills, and administration.

:goodpost:

Towards_the_gap said:
Helicopter Insertion Instructor
Basic/Advanced Mountain Ops
Basic Recce
Patrol Pathfinder
Arctic Operations Advisor
Urban Ops Instructor
...the list goes on.
Funny you mention these courses. We all know that Engineers are regularly loaded in these courses but some numty "inspiring" staff O at my BG HQ (PRes) refuses to load my guys on any, saying they are only for Inf. (most recently UOI, mountain ops and basic para)

Towards_the_gap said:

What about the appication of their secondary role?"fight as infantry" is that only in a self defense manner or do engineers take to dismounted operations like the infantry (i.e offensive roles to do said breaching/clearence/recce task )

CadetPAT said:
What about the appication of their secondary role?"fight as infantry" is that only in a self defense manner or do engineers take to dismounted operations like the infantry (i.e offensive roles to do said breaching/clearence/recce task )
Towards_the_gap said:

CadetPAT said:

You don't seem to get it. So I will give you a concrete example. During one contact, when the section C9 gunner was taking effective fire, it was my fire control order to one of my sappers, to put a red smoke M203 grenade onto an enemy position, which then enabled the remainder of the section to regain control of the fight.

In other words, yes we do offensive. I took part in ambushes, OP's with snipers, clearance patrols, breaching, all that good stuff.

Alles Klar??????

Stacked said:
Carpenter – Field operations
Electrician – Field operations
Plumber – Field operations
I cannot think of the last time any of these trades helper courses were run for Cbt Engr.

PanaEng said:
  but some numty "inspiring" staff O at my BG HQ (PRes) refuses to load my guys on any, saying they are only for Inf. (most recently UOI, mountain ops and basic para)saying they are only for Inf. (most recently UOI, mountain ops and basic para)

IMO the best thing to do would probably be to get onto the Gagetown Cabinets site(DWAN) and print out the page in the QS for each course that lists what trades can take the courses and show this person,  or forward electronic copies.  Bit surprised that someone would just assume those courses are Infantry only,  especially the B Para.

If being a LEO is your desired end state you might want to consider armoured recce as it has several transferable skill sets:

1. Patrolling in vehicles.
2. Using radios.
3. Drinking coffee while patrolling in vehicles.
4. Looking cool as f*** while patrolling in vehicles.
;)

Putting my HR consultant hat on here now.

The hard skill sets you gain in the CF won't transfer well into civilian occupations. The police recruiter doesn't care about your intimate knowledge of Warsaw pact anti-tank mines, the differences between a BMP-1 and a BMP-2, or the right way to wrap det cord around C4. What they will care about are the soft skills you've gained through your experience in the CF. Soft skills such as:

1. Working in teams.
2. Personal drive and work ethic.
3. The ability to learn fast.
4. Working in stressful environments.
5. Looking cool as f*** while patrolling in vehicles

You should also look at the CF as an opportunity to build a professional reputation for yourself, get some awesome references for when you do apply to be a LEO, and do some networking.

Newt said:
If being a LEO is your desired end state you might want to consider armoured recce as it has several transferable skill sets:

2. Using radios.
;)

The hard skill sets you gain in the CF won't transfer well into civilian occupations. The police recruiter doesn't care about your intimate knowledge of Warsaw pact anti-tank mines, the differences between a BMP-1 and a BMP-2, or the right way to wrap det cord around C4. What they will care about are the soft skills you've gained through your experience in the CF. Soft skills such as:

1. Working in teams.

You should also look at the CF as an opportunity to build a professional reputation for yourself, get some awesome references for when you do apply to be a LEO, and do some networking.

6. Leadership skills

MCG said:
I cannot think of the last time any of these trades helper courses were run for Cbt Engr.

IIRC, the last trades helper course run was Mason Helper in Chilliwack back in 1997 or so. I don't think CFSME ran any of them after the move to Gagetown.

Shame really, considering there's even less of the 600 series trades deployed than there are of us, and they can always use a hand, it's a series of skillsets that dissolved on the 041 side  :facepalm:

Newt said:

2. Using radios.
;)

1. Working in teams.

Very true but we don't have an armoured unit here. And if I had considered a specialty such as Special Tactics?

Doesn't matter. The only thing that will give you specific training for 'Special Tactics' is employment, as an LEO, in a 'Special Tactics' role.

Back