• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Combat Engineering at Winterlude

McG

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Here is a nice feel-good story about the military engaged with its local community.  I am sure plenty of kids in the Ottawa/Gatineau area will be quite pleased with the result.
33 Combat Engineer Regiment soldiers use military skills for Winterlude 2014
CAF Press Release
03 February 2014

When thinking about Combat Engineers winter obstacle courses don’t normally come to mind.  This year, though, soldiers from 33 Combat Engineer Regiment put their military skills to work to build the Winterlude 2014 obstacle course, a fun and safe family activity for those who want to enjoy winter in the National Capital Region from January 31st to February 17th.

Sergeant Jason Masny, a member of 33 Combat Engineer Regiment  who designed and led the construction of the Winterlude obstacle course, said that building the course is a great way for them to give back to the community. “The purpose is to have some fun and get a little exercise,” he said of the course.

As simple as things can be when building an obstacle course, there is an art to doing it, he said.  Safety is most important during the design and construction phases.

Sgt Masny said they are always thinking about safety.  From the markers, to placement of the pickets, to the way the sandbags are stacked, it is all a part of their military training. 

“I hope they have a really good time and at the same time, I hope they can see what 33 Combat Engineer Regiment and the Army brings to Winterlude and to the city.”  He said he will bring his own children to experience the course and hopes they see a part of what dad does when he goes to work at 33 Combat Engineer Regiment .

The design for the course includes a maze, hurdles, a serpentine obstacle under camouflaged nets, a tunnel and a tire course all designed to provide families a fun, challenging activity again this year.

33 Combat Engineer Regiment , part of 33 Canadian Brigade Group, is a reserve unit located in Ottawa and trains soldiers in combat engineer skills that allow them to support friendly forces and deny the mobility to enemy forces in all weather conditions.
http://www.army-armee.forces.gc.ca/en/news-publications/national-news-details-no-menu.page?doc=33-combat-engineer-regiment-soldiers-use-military-skills-for-winterlude-2014/hr7jbdzf

I got to go along with my daughter's school to this, they did a really good job on building and running the course.  The kids had a blast and all the personnel on site where very friendly with them.

BZ to all those involved! :salute:

Back