• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Combat Engineer Study Materials?

Gunshark

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am still an applicant, currently considering two trades, one of which is Combat Engineer. I know that engineers go to school of military engineering after basic. What main textbooks are used? Are there any other study materials publicly available? It would be interesting to browse through those to get a better feel for the studies, and to perhaps prepare a little bit better ahead of time. Many thanks.

Find an online copy of FM 5-34.  An American field manual, but gives a good idea of what we do.  No real textbooks at the QL3 level, mostly hands on and note taking in class.  Lots of handouts.

Combat Engineers don't really use text books at CFSME. If you want to brush up on anything I'd say brush up on the use of tools and safety unless your proficent in that area already. For example a chainsaw. It would be good to know how to clean it, sharpen it, and oil it. A lot of stuff you will just have to wait to learn as combat engineers deal a lot with explosives and have there specific methods of use and safety. If anything brush up on your fitness as its a very physically demanding trade.

Thanks very much guys. Found the FM 5-34. Fitness is definitely a must.

Honestly, don't bother. You will be taught all that you need to know, and will not give off a good impression if you raise your hand every 10 minute during a
lecture and say 'but but sarge/warrant/sir, I've read FM 5-34 and it doesn't say that at all!'

It's not rocket science either, so don't sweat it. If you can chew bubblegum and walk at the same time you'll do fine.

It's not rocket science either, so don't sweat it. If you can chew bubblegum and walk at the same time you'll do fine.

In other words don't drop the det and don't step on the det cord  ;D

Back