• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Close Quarters Combat

stanp

Inactive
Reaction score
As an ignorant neophyte, I was wondering if there is a need in the Forces for a Close Quarters Combat knife, or is the bayonet deemed sufficient?

I ask out of pure self-interest as I contract to DND occassionally.

Stan

Well a knife is a knife unless you're thinking about something like a punch dagger or something along the lines of the Fairburn-Sykes designed simply for killing. However most instances people are using knives more in a utilitarian role.

The last account thazt I saw with regard to actually fighting with a knife was that Salvadoran dude who tore up a bunch of ass-hats from the Mahdi Army with something that appeared to be a cheap knock-off of a Buck 110.

I think we need to be less concerned about a fighting "knife" and build more true Warrior-spirited fighting "soldiers"...

blake

The new Bayonet 2000 seems to fit the bill for a fighting knife, anything small jobbies you have your Gerber anyway.

Lerch said:
The new Bayonet 2000 seems to fit the bill for a fighting knife, anything small jobbies you have your Gerber anyway.

Yeah OK - what he said...

blake

Certainly the amount of knife fighting out there is percentagely a small amout.

This is what I carried, and what I recommend is 3x blades.
1x folder for small jobs.
1x small to medium sized fixed blade for utility work
1x large fixed blade.

Because if you have to transition from your primary to your secondary and potentially rather than transitioning to your Johnson I would recommend to a 1x double edged foot long full tang fixed blade dedicated for dispatching.
http://www.beshknives.com/images/Knives/XSF-1.jpg
Along with that a training program.

Better to have and not need than need and not have.

Continued success,
BESH

[ war story ]
On phase II, on one rare occasion we ran out of blank as the OPFOR was attacking.  So I did what anyone would do in that situation - removed the BFA and fixed bayonet.

DS eyes went wide, and a moment later the attack was called off - probably someone was scared about what the sleep-deprived students might do...
[ / war story ]

Meh... I think a shovel will do nicely.

As things stand now, there isn't much room to attach a sheath on your TV or body armour vests & trying to get at a knife that is attached to the belt that is holding up your trousers will be a bit of a struggle.  If you have to choose, a C7 at 2-300 yards would be my weapon of choice.

But,  if you really, really need a blade, the bayonnet, mounted to the front of your TV certainly comes in handy

DAP, I certainly remember being on Ex, leaping over a trench & looking down - to see a shiny pointy blade at the end of a barrel.  Certainly got my attention.

recceguy said:
A sharpened entrenching tool or a tomahawk would serve you better.

;D
Spetsnaz.jpg

Blackwater Gear does offer a MOLLE/PALS compatible generic knife sheath shell (sheath held inside with velcro). Can be wedged between the PALS rig and a utility pouch, for example.

Not just any backflip...but over BARBED WIRE!

And then deliver the hatchet of death :D

dapaterson said:
[ war story ]
On phase II, on one rare occasion we ran out of blank as the OPFOR was attacking.  So I did what anyone would do in that situation - removed the BFA and fixed bayonet.

DS eyes went wide, and a moment later the attack was called off - probably someone was scared about what the sleep-deprived students might do...
[ / war story ]

You actually fixed your bayonet while on exercise? Holy crap!! I can't believe you didn't do the hatless dance for removing your BFA on an exercise where you were using blank - you may as well have just slapped a red mag on too!! Wow. Balls (or was it really just lack of sleep?) The easiest way to tell the difference is the amount of giggling and incoherent rambling that precedes any field action... that and were you seeing smurfs???

BinRat55 said:
You actually fixed your bayonet while on exercise? Holy crap!! I can't believe you didn't do the hatless dance for removing your BFA on an exercise where you were using blank - you may as well have just slapped a red mag on too!! Wow. Balls (or was it really just lack of sleep?) The easiest way to tell the difference is the amount of giggling and incoherent rambling that precedes any field action... that and were you seeing smurfs???
probably all of the above, if recall correctly (own experience)  8)

It might have been Pacman that was telling him to do it ;)

BinRat55 said:

Remember... they issued us the bayonets.  we just used what was given to us for use.

Back