• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Close Area Suppression Weapon (was Company Area Suppression Weapon)

Brilliant!!!

Unfortunately the 600lbs of recoil force might make it a bit hard on the "light" gunner

ArmyRick said:
COA#2
We make a C16 det a 10 man operation (Sure the CSM will love coughing up that much for a single weapon). Never mind that a M777 det is only what 8-9 guys?

You just reinvented the Lewis Gun section.

I thought i'd post a video of the automatic grenade launcher

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnEzCFnaGw4&feature=channel_video_title

C-16 high-velocity weapon features direct/indirect fire, thermal fire capability.

Some pictures from the video:

3ssas2.jpg

saw2.jpg

2a2.jpg

This morning I had the chance to get behind one of the AGL's that A Bty had setup in the BQ. VERY nice looking piece of kit. Apparently, even though they're signed for by A Bty, they'll be handed off to HQ Bty in the near future, I'd assume for local defense.

Lerch said:
This morning I had the chance to get behind one of the AGL's that A Bty had setup in the BQ. VERY nice looking piece of kit. Apparently, even though they're signed for by A Bty, they'll be handed off to HQ Bty in the near future, I'd assume for local defense.

Yea my brother was texting me the other day asking how it was mounted and how the drills went.  They have the new shiny, but no one actually knows how to use it.

Yup, as far as the BQ guys knew, the courses weren't happening till the summer, so I guess they'll have some very nice paperweights till then...

Lerch said:
Yup, as far as the BQ guys knew, the courses weren't happening till the summer, so I guess they'll have some very nice paperweights till thenit's declared obselete...

There, fixed it for you. 

The C-16 AGLS is a white elephant.  It has outstanding capabilities and it is an awesome weapon; however, it is too heavy to be of any practicable use.  And let us never forget that while tactics are nice, it's logistics that wins wars.  And I don't know how the logistical burden this thing brings the army outweighs (pun intended) any benefits.

The best place to mount it would be on an HLVW Cargo with HIAB. Lots of ammo, quick replen of ammo by the palet. But I'm sure that the first round fired off the existing roof mount would totally wreck the cab.

MJP said:
Yea my brother was texting me the other day asking how it was mounted and how the drills went.  They have the new shiny, but no one actually knows how to use it.
I have the sad feeling I know what happens next; After several months and many many staff meetings. NDHQ  will send forth  instructors  and everyone who gets one these toys will trained in their use. And their will great rejoicing thru out the land !
Right up to the point when it's discovered that training has burned thru  the  Ammo allotment and now due to budget cuts  no more 40 MM ammo is being procured  at this time.
I also wonder how many times logistics will deliver 40 MM ammo to some army base.  When they unwrap the shrink wrap from the pallet it 's 40 MM alright but it's 40 MM Bofors?

Tango18A said:
The best place to mount it would be on an HLVW Cargo with HIAB. Lots of ammo, quick replen of ammo by the palet. But I'm sure that the first round fired off the existing roof mount would totally wreck the cab.

4876696414_d3f62d18be_z.jpg

So...a soft-skinned truck is the best place to mount an AGLS?

Any thought to taking these paperweights on the road and display them to the PRes Infantry units?

I bet dollars to donuts some "good idea fairy" will have the idea to pass them on to the PRes to man. ;D

Jim Seggie said:
Any thought to taking these paperweights on the road and display them to the PRes Infantry units?

I bet dollars to donuts some "good idea fairy" will have the idea to pass them on to the PRes to man. ;D

Have a day trip to Shilo...........for a show & tell....

Technoviking said:
So...a soft-skinned truck is the best place to mount an AGLS?

Nope, not at all. The C16's appetite for ammo in order for it to be effective would require the HLVW cargo capabilities, the only armoured veh i can think of with the same open storage space would be a MTVF (Fitter). This would be due to the open back and the fact that the Fitter only carries a max crew of 3, and i have yet to see one carry a TLAV pack on the back deck. Here at the Strats the intent is to arm the Sabre Sqn's Adm Tps with the C16s, and all they have for Adm Tp is MLVW/HLVW.

Tango18A said:
Nope, not at all. The C16's appetite for ammo in order for it to be effective would require the HLVW cargo capabilities, the only armoured veh i can think of with the same open storage space would be a MTVF (Fitter). This would be due to the open back and the fact that the Fitter only carries a max crew of 3, and i have yet to see one carry a TLAV pack on the back deck. Here at the Strats the intent is to arm the Sabre Sqn's Adm Tps with the C16s, and all they have for Adm Tp is MLVW/HLVW.

Could we find some old M 548 Cargo Carriers and mod them? We mod everything else.

I think the 548s have been disposed of. There used to be a large gathering of M113A2s at 7 CFSD, but they have disappeared.

C16 armed tactical trunk monkey on MilCOTS, I could get behind that.

NinerSix said:
C16 armed tactical trunk monkey on MilCOTS, I could get behind that.

Would be pretty close to a Canadian version of the Somali technicals:

_42825117_ap_pickup416.jpg

Problem is that is a recoiless weapon. I think the recoil from an HMG or C 16 would shake that to pieces in no time.

Jim Seggie said:

Just like these "man portable over a short distance" beauties from the past....
recoilaf_1x.jpg

.... only newer and shinier, right?

Back