• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

chin-ups

Show some respect for Paracowboy, he REALLY knows what he is talking about. Apologize for trying to give a leadership lecture on a military board, to someone who has been there and done that. And go fill out your gd profile. If you think having strong forearms will help you with chinups, then you really need to do some research. Chin-ups involve the sternal portion of the pectoralis major, latissimus dorsi, teres major, posterior deltoid, the rhomboids, the middle and lower portions of the trapezius, and the elbow flexors. Work all those and you'll get better. Hey, chinups will work all those.

Island Ryhno said:
If you think having strong forearms will help you with chinups, then you really need to do some research.

Then we agree, a smart thing to do then would be to ask a question about "Building up for chin ups".

Island Ryhno said:
Chin-ups involve the sternal portion of the pectoralis major, latissimus dorsi, teres major, posterior deltoid, the rhomboids, the middle and lower portions of the trapezius, and the elbow flexors. Work all those and you'll get better.

Now this will help. Thank you. Now I can use the muscles involved to research some individual exercises.

Island Ryhno said:
Show some respect for Paracowboy, he REALLY knows what he is talking about.

Have seen his good work on the exercises though didn't come across the information I asked about. Implying that a search wasnt even attempted was just ASS-U-ME. Kinda outa place say someone will fail because they ask a question.  ::)

Been getting good information from those contributing to the thread so quite glad the question was asked.

BTW, try doing a search for "chin up". The search comes back with "chin" hits on ma-CHIN-e gun, mar-CHIN-g (just how many posts deal with those words ha!) and "up" gets hits on alot more.

Brygun said:
BTW, try doing a search for "chin up". The search comes back with "chin" hits on ma-CHIN-e gun, mar-CHIN-g (just how many posts deal with those words ha!) and "up" gets hits on alot more.

Put quotes around a multi-word search - ie search for: "chin ups"  not: chin ups

Without the quotes, the search will search for posts which contain chin AND ups

This holds true for just about all text searches, whether here, GOOGLE, Windows, etcetera.

Retired CC said:
Put quotes around a multi-word search - ie search for: "chin ups"   not: chin ups

Without the quotes, the search will search for posts which contain chin AND ups

This holds true for just about all text searches, whether here, GOOGLE, Windows, etcetera.

ah! Now that certainly helps. As mentioned the earlier searches was buried in non-relevant (to chin ups) content. Unfindable good information equals no info. Thanks. The web search tool I use (My Search) doesnt have this issue. Just typing... chin up   ... does in fact return you "chin up" type information. Looks like its not SOP.

Text searches (some anyway, mostly older ones as I recall) used wild cards. So if you had wanted anything chin like like machine and marching you would type *chin* ... the * being the wildcard.

Brygun,

You didn't mention  if you're overweight or not. If it's the case, loosing weight will help you out big time...

yea weight can make a big difference, the more your body has to pull straight up with under-developed muscles the harder they will be and less you will do.

Get a fitness trainer; youll see alot quicker improvement than reading and attemting to apply these suggestions.

IR said:
Get a fitness trainer; youll see alot quicker improvement than reading and attemting to apply these suggestions.

There is nothing he/she can learn from a $50 p/hour fitness trainer that they can't get from here or elsewhere online. Outside of them pointing out your technique. There are literally thousands of pages on the net dedicated to fitness. I've been lifting weights for going on 15 years now and I take stuff off of good sites. Besides that point, Brygun already stated he doesn't have access to a gym so it's not likely he has access to a trainer.

actually having a trainer will help alot if u have access to one

Explain to me how a trainer will help a lot. I'm just curious, I've used a trainer before and I'd like to know why everybody is so hung up on trainers. Here's what I've seen from trainers; unless your seriously into a sport and need to be professionally conditioned you're wasting money. Trainers can provide some motivation, and sometimes show you proper technique. The idea that a trainer will develop a routine specifically for you is bull, they have a set of routines which they pull out to give to different people. You want to lose weight, here use this one, you want to bulk up, here use this one, and so on and so on. Drop by any gym, take 10 people who have been set up by a trainer and see how many of them are doing the same things. I've seen trainers give people routines with no compound exercises in them. Do you think that works? Here check out this handfull of sites and tell me that a trainer could do any better.

http://www.bodyforlife.com/index.asp
http://forums.jpfitness.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000056
http://forums.menshealth.com/eve?source=rodale
http://www.ruggedmag.com/index.php?type=Article&i=16&a=1
http://www.t-nation.com/index.do;jsessionid=7AD9660461D7557F9FDA64273146A957.hydra

Bottom line, people trying to get in shape to join the forces do not need a personal trainer.

Those are great sites Island Ryhno; thanks for sharing them. I agree with your views on trainers. I am shocked by some of these trainers, the level of instruction they provide and the way they work out in front of their clients - but that is another topic.

delavan said:
Brygun,

You didn't mention   if you're overweight or not. If it's the case, loosing weight will help you out big time...

heh.. 5' 10" at 175 lbs put in the yellow/green hashing on the chart. Reasonable weight.

Tried the negatives and it seemed more effective then the "foot push up aide". Giving a push with a foot was hard to regulate in terms of keeping it difficult for the arm muscles. Do much push and it was too easy. The negative worked well.

Im sure I will build up the muscles for a "up" rather than a down with some regular work  :threat:

your weight is fine im like 5'11 maybe 5'10 and im about 230 lbs now (ive lost like 13 pounds in the last month (hooray!!!)) i find chin ups difficult but not hard, if that makes sense to you. i can maybe do about 10-15 depending how hard i wanna push myself or how loud my friend screams and what he screams... best of luck to you.

Yeah, Im sure in time I will get them in. Pushups and situps are already with a surplus. The run time is taking work (and gave myself shin splits doubling up to 4.8 km 2 nights in row after only a week.. no longer in my Cross Country MVP form  :p ). I will get the run down just a matter of when.

The chin ups is the one real struggle. Getting no more than the 5-10 degress (ie. up just an inch or so) simply means those particular muscles havent been called for in a while. I can feel and see some improvements in the arms. I'll get it. The tips in this thread will certainly help. As several have said... best way to do chins up is do more chins ups... problem is in doing the first one  :-[ I will succeed. Thanks again to posters, work hard AND work smart.  :salute:

one more question HOW are you doing your chin ups? and by that i mean are your arms in the "curl" form or "reverse curl"  and yes I'm aware were talking about chin ups but the forms you do chin ups is the same forms you do curls, other then the obvious differences of over your head, ones weight ones body..    so the curl form would be with your palms facing your body on the pole, whereas reverse curl would be the palms facing away, you should try both ways, i find that doing it with my hands facing away is a HELL of alot harder then my hands facing towards.

Island Ryhno said:
Explain to me how a trainer will help a lot. I'm just curious, I've used a trainer before and I'd like to know why everybody is so hung up on trainers. Here's what I've seen from trainers; unless your seriously into a sport and need to be professionally conditioned you're wasting money. Trainers can provide some motivation, and sometimes show you proper technique. The idea that a trainer will develop a routine specifically for you is bull, they have a set of routines which they pull out to give to different people. You want to lose weight, here use this one, you want to bulk up, here use this one, and so on and so on. Drop by any gym, take 10 people who have been set up by a trainer and see how many of them are doing the same things. I've seen trainers give people routines with no compound exercises in them. Do you think that works? Here check out this handfull of sites and tell me that a trainer could do any better.

http://www.bodyforlife.com/index.asp
http://forums.jpfitness.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000056
http://forums.menshealth.com/eve?source=rodale
http://www.ruggedmag.com/index.php?type=Article&i=16&a=1
http://www.t-nation.com/index.do;jsessionid=7AD9660461D7557F9FDA64273146A957.hydra

Bottom line, people trying to get in shape to join the forces do not need a personal trainer.

It will help because you will get used to a routine being instructed to you 1 on 1 face to face.
If you dont get this... I dunno you must be humungously in shape and on a roll on the other hand some new recruits may not be. Ive seen posts here that some people clearly stated doing 17 min 2.4 km's and still head to basic... kind of makes you think eh?

Listen, I just went to a new gym today for a test run, see what it was like. First thing they tried on me was the get some personal training time sham. I said, nah I'll wait and see OK. So off I go, and bam soon as I leave the change room it's like f*cking Jurassic park with the trainers on the lurk like Raptors. I watched two different trainers, give two separate people (one male, one female) the exact same routine. In one hour, no less. You want to know what the big power move was for the routine? Squats in a Smith F*cking machine, tell me how effective you think that one on one time will be? Sorry, I'm not trying to fight with you, but way to many people get taken of their hard earned dollars by trainers. It's not needed folks, unless you're extremely serious and have time and money to spend on a trainer 5 days a week.

'personal trainers' are the 'ninjutsu masters' of the new millennia. Just as back in the '80s, everybody was teaching "Ninjutsu", today, anybody can get a paper from the Internet and proclaim themselves a Trainer.

Some methods to keep from getting seriously injured by a so-called 'trainer':

- Each trainer should do a thorough medical history with you, then check your form on several exercises, before actually designing a program for you. Most simply have a set program for EVERYBODY. Some of them say it's 'computer designed especially for you'. Look around, see if anybody else is doing the exact same workout or not.
- If you have an injury, or ailment, they should automatically refer you to a doctor and a physiotherapist. I've heard too many horror stories about some genius saying "Oh, well, we can work around that."
- They should be constantly receiving ongoing education in physical fitness, nutrition, and general health, so that they can sift through what's actually applicable to their clients, and what's the newest "Ice Cream Diet." Ask you trainer when the last time he attended a seminar, and ask for accreditable (is that a word?) certificates.
- Is this guy pushing supplements? If so, is he a trained nutritionist? On that note, a trainer shouldn't tell you what to eat, he should refer you to a nutritionist. I've heard too many suggest supplements that "We just happen to sell right here!"
- Is this guy able (or rather, willing) to provide references? If not, chances are that he's INJURED somebody.
- How often does this guy suggest you go to his gym, or he comes to you, or whatever? Basically, how many hours a week is this guy suggesting you work out? Is he after your money?

These are some things I've picked up on, watching family members get taken for rides by clods with steroid-built physiques, or by cookie-cutter fitness centers with bubble-heads in spandex.

If you have a trainer who fits the above, good. But nothing, NOTHING, beats educating yourself.

Back