• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

chin-ups

familyman

Inactive
Reaction score
I am just wondering about chin-ups,I got a basic understandind of how many pushups and sit ups I got to do in basic,at least i think i do,but i never hear anything about chin-ups.How many do we got to do?and if we cant what happens?

None.

You are not required to do chin ups in basic, and will still pass even if you can't do a single one.

GO!!! said:
Really, cause I remember doing quite a few chin ups during my basic course.  Having your PT NCO come from 3 RCR Para Coy=equals not fun times.

Hatchet Man

I know that chin ups are required for the para pt test and the coopers test for JTF2 selection (actually, the coopers test uses pull ups, overhand grip that is) And I believe that they are required for the SAR Tech selection, but don't quote me on that one.

You cannot fail battle school for inability to do a chin up. As long as you can pass the CF express test  ::) , you are good to go. Well, not really, but that is the standard you must achieve.

I think that the standard should be higher, but that will have to wait until I am the big cheese.

If your instructors made you do more PT, count yourself lucky. Most of us get fatter going through the system in place at the Mega.

I was pusing the symantics button  :), I know you don't need to do them to "pass", but that doesn't mean you aren't going to do them at some point.  My course was a trial/experimental reserve ql2/3 so our instructors had a very wide berth in what they could do. 

In preparing for entrance I've tried doing some chin ups. Rather embarassed  :-[...i can hardly budge from the extended arm position. Defelection of about 10 degrees is all I can manage. Obvisously Ive negelcted that particular muscle group. In terms of pushups and situps im at 140% or better of the minimum score. (the run is stuff for other thread(s) )
With arms already bent I can do a few in a limited "just over, just under" the bar routine. Its the full arm extension that is beyond >current< muscles  :threat:

What exercises can I do then to help build up the muscles for chin ups?

There is a swingset available (which is where I try it).

Ive tried doing it with feet "lightly" touching to give a little extra to actually do the motion.

I do not have access to gym.

Hopefully someone can direct me to what muscles or exercises that can be done indoors.

Continue trying to do your best at the chin ups and if you can, also work on your lats and biceps. If you're limited by equipment, just put any weighted object in your hands and perform curling motions with your arms. As for your back, look up bent over rows on the internet and try to replicate the motion improvising for weight. Low-pulley rows and lat pull downs would be good as well, but are kind of difficult without the right equipment. Best thing is just to keep doing those chin ups.

Do some negatives.  Jump yourself up so that you are at the top position and lower yourself as slowly as possible.  Or you could try kipping pullups - http://www.crossfit.com/cf-video/Connor-Keegan.mpg  which are essentially a "cheat" movement.
Good luck!

go to the top of this forum. See the threads with the words "PT" and "Fitness" in them?

Its too bad you don't have access to a gym. There's a machine (actually its made for shoulderwork) first of all you sit on it, and you take a wide grip on the long bar above you, with hands going forward and pull down to work your shoulders. Then the bar goes back up. But if you bring your hands close together, with palms facing you, just like with situps, and then set the weight to your body weight (or less if thats too hard), I think you can almost replicate doing sit ups. I should really learn the names of machines... :D

and I can't help but notice that on each page of this forum, there is at least one thread with "chin-up" in the title.
If you're too lazy to look at a page on a computer, you're too lazy to put the work in to improve.

Ive already looked on the forums here (and elsewhere) and there was NOT an answer about this particular matter.   :eek: Best way to fail to communicate is to deny the use of questions. ;) A BAD briefing leader will say "and dont dare ask questions"   :salute: ::) Dont worry some mouthy snipes dont deter a soldier.   :D

The existing pages here talked about how to do them NOT how to >build up< to them.

Famous quote: "Questions show interest."   :salute:

As it is there is now some tips on exercises to do.   Thanks Frieght, the negative version is something I can try out on what I have access to. Strong and Zombie thank you as well. I recall once using one of those machinces in the past (though I dont have access to it now).

I've also been using a loaded backpack for arm curls and a pipe with some heavy stuff hanging off of it. These curls though work with my arms level or below rather than above me as in the chin-up. Was concerened that it was missing the needed muscle group.

I have been taking a fitness course and we do a lot of chin ups in it. My instructor says that a chin up is not a natural body movement, unless you are spider man and climb walls all day, so you have to teach the body how to do it through muscle memory. (His words) Bottom line, best way to improve chin ups really is more chin ups.

However, there is a chin up supported position that you can use if you work out with someone. Simply do normal chin ups until you reach muscle failure. Then bend your legs at the knees. You partner can then reach under you legs and support you by lifting you by the legs a little to reduce your weight. You then continue to do chin ups until you can do no more.

Keep in mind your partner should only help a little bit, and take only just enough of your weight off so that you can keep going. Try it sometime.

Brygun said:
Ive already looked on the forums here (and elsewhere) and there was NOT an answer about this particular matter. Best way to fail to communicate is to deny the use of questions.A BAD briefing leader will say "and dont dare ask questions"  Dont worry some mouthy snipes dont deter a soldier.  

The existing pages here talked about how to do them NOT how to >build up< to them.

Famous quote: "Questions show interest."  

As it is there is now some tips on exercises to do.   Thanks Frieght, the negative version is something I can try out on what I have access to. Strong and Zombie thank you as well. I recall once using one of those machinces in the past (though I dont have access to it now).

I've also been using a loaded backpack for arm curls and a pipe with some heavy stuff hanging off of it. These curls though work with my arms level or below rather than above me as in the chin-up. Was concerened that it was missing the needed muscle group.
Bollocks. I know for a fact that several posts in those threads teach how to build up to them, or how to improve your performance on them, as I have written those posts. I have covered the use of negatives, adding weight, getting spotted, or self-spotting. I have also covered the necessity of building up supporting muscles, and of losing excess weight.
Thanks for the lecture on leadership, however.

something that has helped me is doing negative chins, use a step, put chin on the bar then lower yourself for 5 secs, and repeat and repeat and repeat.  Rope climbs has helped also, lay flat on floor and pull yourself to standing using a rope ( thanks crossfit.com).  And as said a million times before, the best way to improve chins is doing .....................chins.

the best of luck to ya

Thanks Pieman.

Saw that one on some fitness websites. Which requires that second person. It will hopefullly help someone else.

Overall thinking what I will do as what "chin up" versions I can for now while doing in some arm curls.

One exercise I did try out seemed to fatigue the same forearm muscles. Hold a pipe (wish mine was heavier actually) over your heard. Slowly, and the key is slowly, rotate the pipe over your head using both hands. Change direction every once and a while. The key was to do it slowly as fast just meant it was skipping around. Doing it slow let you squeeze the pipe while turning the hand and forearm. This did seem to work the hand/forearm a bit. A low-equipment exercise that can be done just anywhere.

Back