• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chief of Army bans soldiers from wearing 'arrogant' death symbols

Maybe they're just taking a more feminist approach to the military and doing away with toxic masculine symbols.

The Australian Army is turning away male recruits in a 'politically correct' push to increase the number of female cadets.

Recruiters at the Australian Defence Force have been told they will be re-located if they ignore orders to target women for new jobs, The Daily Telegraph reported.

Of the 50 listed recruiting vacancies, 35 of those positions are only available to women.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4779178/Australian-Army-turning-away-male-recruits-female.html#ixzz5DE638U6N
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4779178/Australian-Army-turning-away-male-recruits-female.html

Jarnhamar said:
Maybe they're just taking a more feminist approach to the military and doing away with toxic masculine symbols.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4779178/Australian-Army-turning-away-male-recruits-female.html

And I'm sure that will help fill the Infantry battalions with females.  :sarcasm:

dapaterson said:
Indisciplined, murderous, and vigilante are words that one should not associate with a military. 

Three different views on killing,

Oscar Levant said, "When I appeared before the draft board examiner during World War II, he asked me if I thought I could kill. "I don't know about strangers," I replied, "but friends, certainly." "  :)

Dimsum said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._82_Wing_RAAF
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._11_Squadron_RAAF

I read of one airman who was invited to choose his own target from the four the squadron were detailed to attack that night. ( Because his hometown had been bombed by the Luftwaffe, he was given the opportunity to get some revenge. )
Instead of the heavily populated ( and defended ) cities of Hamburg or Cologne, he chose an airfield in Holland. Simply because it offered him the best chance of surviving the night.

On the other hand, "The Norwegians never cared about the economic importance of a target. They simply wanted to know how many Germans per acre."

From what I have read, much of the stuff written on bombs was done by ground staff for the photographers, rather than the men who would drop them.

My dad respected the opposition as professionals as well as fellow sufferers from the misery of it all.  A better man than l. 

I can't honestly think of any fate I wouldn't wish upon the Taliban and their ilk.  The more horrible, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

daftandbarmy said:
And I'm sure that will help fill the Infantry battalions with females.  :sarcasm:

Most of whom will have better skin art than the men......

Dimsum said:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-19/army-bans-troops-from-wearing-skulls-death-symbols/9673242?pfmredir=sm

Good of the Aussies to self-ID as not serious about this whole "War"-thing, I'm sure the Russians, Chinese, et al will be grateful.

Oh! Did they ban the Haka, as well? Thought not.

You're only off by about 2100 km.

The Haka is a Maori custom.

Maoris are indigenous to New Zealand.

So, no, Australia will likely not bother to ban Hakas.

Shrek1985 said:
Good of the Aussies to self-ID as not serious about this whole "War"-thing, I'm sure the Russians, Chinese, et al will be grateful.

Oh! Did they ban the Haka, as well? Thought not.

Scenario question.  I have a Reserve Cpl who likes to Velcro things to his tac vest and his body armour and the arms of his combats. One is in fact a punisher symbol.  Another is the Cpl 4 life badge.  Should he be allowed to put anything he wants on his kit?  Or wear his skull bandana on ex because "call of Duty".  Honest question.

Second.  I think the Russians and Chinese could care less about badges one way or another and care more about capability.

Remius said:
Scenario question.  I have a Reserve Cpl who likes to Velcro things to his tac vest and his body armour and the arms of his combats. One is in fact a punisher symbol.  Another is the Cpl 4 life badge.  Should he be allowed to put anything he wants on his kit?  Or wear his skull bandana on ex because "call of Duty".  Honest question.

The only badges he should be wearing are the standard issued ones (rank, nametag, Canadian Flag), and mission specific patches or IFF badges.

Remius said:

Your profile says MWO Infantry. Your last sentence is "Honest question".

Which is it?

Sorry, but you're confusing me.

recceguy said:
Your profile says MWO Infantry. Your last sentence is "Honest question".

Which is it?

Sorry, but you're confusing me.

Which is what?

Sorry about the confusion.  I was positing a scenario question and was soliciting honest answers to the question.  Sometimes asking a question in a certain way gives away the answer or generates discussion that leads to an answer.

Patches are like helmet graffiti.  Disciplined units get rid of that crap.

My suggestion is that, as a CSM or such (MWO Infantry), you have his section commander sort his ass and failing that, have him report to your office for instruction on how to wear his uniform. If he's qualified, have him reiterate the rules to the whole company. Catch him again, start him up the ladder.

Bandanas? That one is obvious.

I've never been a fan of wasting time enforcing petty stuff like footwear or beards, but I'm not a fan of the morale patches generally.

I've seen kids who looked like they were just entering puberty with "major league infidel" patches on their crappy issued small packs...walking around the mall, or a university campus etc. If I was a bad guy, these wieners would be the first ones I'd be trying to whack or take hostage.

Spectrum said:
I've seen kids who looked like they were just entering puberty with "major league infidel" patches on their crappy issued small packs...walking around the mall, or a university campus etc. If I was a bad guy, these wieners would be the first ones I'd be trying to whack or take hostage.

Where does one even put patches on the issued small pack? 

Dimsum said:
Where does one even put patches on the issued small pack?

The one that really sticks out in my mind was in Ottawa. I couldn't tell if they had somehow sewn the patch on directly, or if they had added extra velcro but it was either the crappy small pack, or a very close copy, and it had been modified...

Spectrum said:
The one that really sticks out in my mind was in Ottawa. I couldn't tell if they had somehow sewn the patch on directly, or if they had added extra velcro but it was either the crappy small pack, or a very close copy, and it had been modified...

Wait...someone *copied* the crappy small pack  ???

I do wish l had bought as a souvenir the morale patch l saw for $5 at the Dutch PX in KAF.  It showed Achmed the dead terrorist and had the phrase "Silence! We killed him and we'll kill you".  Of course l hesitated and it sold out, never to return in my time there.

Back