• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFB Edmonton Vehicle Fire

old medic

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
CFB Edmonton vehicle catches fire on highway
By Michael Gregory

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Edmonton+vehicle+catches+fire+highway/6813478/story.html
EDMONTON - Investigators are trying to determine the cause of a CFB Edmonton vehicle fire on a highway north of the city Wednesday morning.

The accident happened around 11 a.m. on Highway 28 near the intersection of Highway 37, six kilometres from the base, said Morinville RCMP.

Earlier information from the RCMP said explosives inside the armoured vehicle had detonated, but CFB Edmonton spokesperson Fraser Logan said there were no explosives on board at the time.

“The driver’s front tire popped, which accounts for the loud noise,” said Logan.

Police said the armoured vehicle was “fully engulfed” when they arrived, but no injuries were reported. Investigators are trying to determine the cause of the fire.

More to come …

Why is everything an armoured vehicle?  ::)

From the LFWA web site:

Military Vehicle Fire

STEELE BARRACKS, Edmonton, AB
20 June 2012

A Canadian Forces transport truck, Light Support Vehicle Wheeled (LSVW), caught fire on Highway 28 near the intersection of Highway 37 at approximately 11:00 a.m.
No injuries were sustained to either the driver or the co-driver.
The vehicle was not carrying any cargo or explosives, and was hauling only a small trailer.
There was no oil or fuel spill.
The LSVW sustained significant damage. The trailer is undamaged.
The driver and co-driver were conducting driver training to maintain their road-driving skills.
Morinville RCMP arrived on scene and the road was closed for a brief period of time. It is now re-opened.
The damaged vehicle will be towed to CFB Edmonton where the Base Mobile Support Equipment team will conduct an investigation to determine the cause of the fire.

http://www.army.gc.ca/iaol/143000440002256/143000440002280/index-Eng.html

Fibreglass is armour now? Awesome, I really didn't think a LSVW would stand up to a stiff breeze before, but since its armoured....

Glad to hear the driver and co-driver are OK.  I hope they're not too rattled.

kinda warm out for the infamous fuel fired heater... they still have those things?  They were always causing fires. 

exabedtech said:
kinda warm out for the infamous fuel fired heater... they still have those things?  They were always causing fires.

Theres a new one with less flames. Works well.

Ah the famous LSVW stikes again. I remember when one went up. Up she went. No one was hurt. We lost a gor tex glove in the deal, thou. RIP Glove.

exabedtech said:

Jumping to conclusions?

I remember having to pull the batteries out of all LSVW that were parked indoors for long periods of time, such as Christmas Lve period.  I also wonder if someone may have been driving with a Park Brake on or perhaps a locked brake drum?  Perhaps someone was smoking in the cab and rags caught fire?  Who knows what the cause was, as that is under investigation.  We will find out some year when it is published in the Safety Digest.

I just seem to remember them being POS trucks...FULL STOP.  This just reinforces that IMO.

MM

I was driving one from Greenwood to Aldershot last summer... It  overheated and blew coolant all over my truck and the one behind me. When recovery showed up to drag me the rest of the way turned out the alternator fell off and was just hanging there by the belts. Needless to say I have to agree: POS trucks.

JRBond said:
I was driving one from Greenwood to Aldershot last summer... It  overheated and blew coolant all over my truck and the one behind me. When recovery showed up to drag me the rest of the way turned out the alternator fell off and was just hanging there by the belts. Needless to say I have to agree: POS trucks.

And of course you did a proper first parade, including checking security of all under hood components, right?  :D

Kat Stevens said:
And of course you did a proper first parade, including checking security of all under hood components, right?  :D

Not to pile on, but maybe you overlooked a few warning signs while driving as well. Funny noises from under the hood, loss of electrical power, fluctuating guages.

Not saying I didn't miss something, but it did seem to come on pretty quick.

PPCLI Guy said:
I heard that a turbo line let go....

On the plus side, better to have the external oil line fail and it roast itself safely on the side of the road, than have the turbo's internal bearing oil seals go and the little Fiat diesel suddenly upgrades itself from 115hp to 200+ hp as it swallows hot engine oil (read: more fuel) through the intake, suddenly creating an "overpowered" (compared to status quo) runaway vehicle.  :nod:

Regards
G2G

On the plus side...............

..............it's one less piece of useless crap we have to contend with. ;)

Back