• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF experience relevant to RCMP, civ policing? (merged)

Ducam said:
no offence taken.

I plan on doing the required three years to serve my country and what I can take away from it in life experience is simply a plus.

Getting back on topic though, can I expect to get any of this training during my three years

Basic Parachutist

Mountain Warfare
Instructional Techniques
First Aid
Rappelmaster
Unarmed Combat
Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Defence
Urban Operations

Within three years:

Basic Para - Probably only if posted to a 3rd BN;

Mountain Warfare - Depends on what the BN is doing
Instructional Techniques - If you are course loaded on a PLQ, not very likely within 3 years
First Aid - All soldiers receive Basic First Aid in recruit school
Rappelmaster - Not very likely for a Pte
Unarmed Combat - You learn the basics on DP1 Infantry
Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Defence - All soldiers receive the basics in recruit school, for more advanced training you need to be MCpl
Urban Operations - you receive the basics in DP1 Infantry, for more advanced training you need to be MCpl

Getting back on topic though, can I expect to get any of this training during my three years

Basic Parachutist Probable not
Mountain Warfare Probable not
Instructional Techniques no
First Aid yes
Rappelmaster definitely not not
Unarmed Combat basic concepts 
Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Defence only the basic in regards to your own ability to protect yourself
Urban Operations basic concepts

Eye In The Sky said:
Ok, question. 

Do you think you are joining the CF for the right reason and with the proper motivation?

I don't think you get how life will be.  When you've been up for X amount of hours, or days, and it is 0 Dark Stupid in the morning, and it is cold enough that you can't start a 2 burner stove without a lot of effort, and you can light it anyways because of light discipline, and you can't fire up a smoke (same reason)...are you going to say "hell ya!  this was smart because, as a cop in a few years, this night will REALLY benefit me lots".

Just something to think about...

Now, to throw something else in;  lets say you blow a knee out.  Now you're posted to the JPSU (holding unit for ill and injured) doing 'light duties' because you're on a TCAT (restricted duties and employment) for 6 months while you heal...how's morale now?

I'd say you need to rethink this commmitment of serving and especially something like Infantry.  The reality of that type of life is something you need to be really ready for and want, IMO, or that reality might see you tapping out when ~this sucks!!! ~ starts to happen, you go to reach down for that 'something' that everyone has to reach down and muckle on to at some point (pride?  motivation?  whatever) and...there's nothing there but a dream to be a cop in X months.

:2c:

My motivation has always been to become a cop as it is a life career I have always wanted and can be proud of. My new motivation is my wife and obtaining the life we both want together with a family.

That is all the motivation I need.

Some of the things I will learn will not be of any use as a cop but the qualities they teach in the military are usable.

I've had over a year to think this through and speak with recruiters in different services. I wouldn't be continuing my application and job offer if I didn't think this was a good choice to make to advance myself towards my end goals

Eye In The Sky's question is still valid, though.

From where I sit, I see someone who basically wants to join the CF just long enough to grab all the free training he can,  then eject. That doesn't sit well with a lot of folks here, because the military isn't like any other line of work. Lots of folks skip from one corporation to another in the civvie world, bargaining their way up. There's no loyalty on either side. But the military is all about loyalty - to your messmates, to your unit, to the Army (or Navy, or Air Force), to the country as a whole. It's not just another rung on your climb to wherever.

Jacky Tar said:
Eye In The Sky's question is still valid, though.

From where I sit, I see someone who basically wants to join the CF just long enough to grab all the free training he can,  then eject. That doesn't sit well with a lot of folks here, because the military isn't like any other line of work. Lots of folks skip from one corporation to another in the civvie world, bargaining their way up. There's no loyalty on either side. But the military is all about loyalty - to your messmates, to your unit, to the Army (or Navy, or Air Force), to the country as a whole. It's not just another rung on your climb to wherever.

I respect what you have to say. I respect those who make it a life long career. Right now my plan is to apply for police services during my second year. For all I know things may not work work out as planned and I stay on for some more time. Anything can happen.

If the requirement for service was greater than three years I would serve longer. Heck, I informed my recruiter and the first person I met with when submitting my papers at the RC and they didn't blink an eye.

Police work isn't like any other kind of work but it is something I would like to do. If I had applied three years ago to the military I would have stayed and made it a career but things changed.

I don't want to turn this thread into an argument. I asked my question and I have gotten more and the response I wanted. Maybe a mod should lock it up.

Thank you all for your input and insight. It is still food for thought

Ducam said:
I'm 27 with 6 years in security at a large retail mall in etobicoke, 2 years as a supervisor.

Perhaps too late now ( as you have joined the Reg Force ), but if you work in Etobicoke, you could add to your resume by joining TPS Auxiliary.

You gain volunteer hours wearing the TPS uniform, and make friends / contacts within the service and the community. Community and Special Event organizers often send thank-you letters to the Department which go into your file.

You mentioned ETF. Special teams ( including ETF Paramedics ) are selected through the Senior Qualified Process. Candidates are assessed in order of seniority until enough have been identified to fill the position(s). 

You know what?  At least you're joining.  That's much more that some people can say as they bum around the house collecting welfare.

A keen, volunteer with a good head on his shoulders is better than some bum just joining to have something to do.

In my opinion
Basic para yes, odds are against you. Some people get it in their first year
Mountain warfare yes, however only at a basic level
Instructional yes, though very rare
First aid yes, and more
Rappel master, only seen it once
Unarmed, only in your basic infantry course.
Cbrn, very basic. You could join cjiru but you would have to sign on for longer
Urban ops, for the most part only in basic infantry training. Seldom touched upon in bn

As for people telling you that you're joining for the wrong reasons. Don't listen too them, if the CF deems that you are a better candidate than other applicants and only requires three years from you then go for it. You may find that you love it, you may find that you hate it. I've seen plenty of people plan on doing full careers get out in their first contract. And people that only planned on three doing more.

As for eye in the sky's comments, yes your going to be cold. And your Coleman stove won't work because the guy that checked it prior to packing it, didn't because he just wanted to go home.  But it's really not that bad, it always ends and you quickly forget the bad parts. The worst part of the army is the lack of sense that happens all to often. So use the army because they'll use you.

You can even have the army pay for some schooling while your in. And there's no saying you can't get all mountain qualified, rappel qualified, medical courses, education courses civi side while your in.

Pm me if you have any questions

Ducam said:
My backround is tarnished with a single black Mark.
Whoa.....we've all done things at "summer camp" that we tend not to talk about, but I'm sure Mark has feelings too.    :nod:

....and there's a currently-rabid thread on the topic, but the CF certainly allows that behaviour; it's not tarnishing at all.  ;)

If you really just wanted some training to add to your resume why did you not consider the reserves? At least as a reservist you could still continue pursing your goals of LEO while doing what mariomike said. Just my  :2c:

Teager said:
If you really just wanted some training to add to your resume why did you not consider the reserves? At least as a reservist you could still continue pursing your goals of LEO while doing what mariomike said. Just my  :2c:
:goodpost:

Real cute Journeyman! lol.

I would have liked to join the Aux for TPS but due to my criminal history, conditional discharge with one year remaining for dangerous driving, I cannot apply to Aux, Parking or Courts.

I thought about joining reserves but I seriously need a change of pace and get away from the world of security. I can't handle the amount of customer service it now entails and the job market for moving around isn't great. I don't want to make a lateral move.

I have always wanted to join the military but I was told I couldn't when I was 19 by my family so now that I am an adult I decided I would do it now.

The military has no problem hiring me a little over 6 months after applying.

Last time I called a TPS recruiter and explained my whole story they said that military is certainly something great on a resume and the more time I put between myself and my conditional discharge the better.

I figure that joining the military shows initiative, discipline, maturity and leadership. All of those qualities are obtained in the military.

And as for being cold and feeling like crap well that is just another challenge for me. I did the tough mudder in May in -8 weather with rain, snow and hail....I thought that was fun so I can only guess the military will be a blast and a chance to see what I am made of as part of a team.

Don't worry you won't only feel like crap, but you'll get too crap into bags while being cold in -40.  ;D and it's always entertaining too watch someone fall over in the process.

Ducam said:
I can't handle the amount of customer service it now entails and the job market for moving around isn't great.

That's completely understandable. But, is the amount of customer service likely to decrease responding to 9-1-1 calls?

You might find the CAF a welcome change and decide to make a career of it.

You are very right Mario Mike.

I might like it very much and want to stick it out. Would take some serious convincing of the wife though.

I know I would love the military life but the draw back is I would be either stuck near a base which would restrict her job opportunities or I would be deployed somewhere and not see her or my future family at all.

The plus to being a cop is being able to go home more often and not be sent to another country.

It has the pros and cons. Being a cop has way less customer service though. I have met loads of cops who are total dicks and have no idea what customer service even is. Not that I want that but I can tone down the customer service and ass kissing of the general public.

Calling your future colleagues in law enforcement dicks on public forums shows great maturity.

How does the saying go? "You are what you preach".

Way less customer service? Pages and pages of paperwork, writing down statements, dealing with domestic disturbances and people spitting in your direction. Having to listen to noise complaints asking questions and taking down everything while being patient and professional. Community service has a lot of customer service to it as well.

If you are going to be RCMP, you can posted to different locations.

Ducam said:
It has the pros and cons. Being a cop has way less customer service though. I have met loads of cops who are total dicks and have no idea what customer service even is. Not that I want that but I can tone down the customer service and ass kissing of the general public.

I didn't know cops were big on customer service...I'm more worried they are good at something I call "public safety". 

Ass-kissing of the general public?  YOU are part of that general public.  I don't mean to be rude but...you are a mall cop!!!!

:facepalm:

I...bahahahhahaa...I.....omg...ok I can't type anymore.

Which is why I don't wanna be a mall cop any longer.
And let me tone down the loads of cops to a handful.

Back