• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ceremonial Guard (CG) Mega Thread [MERGED]

Question - I'm planning some travel, but my BOR Is now making noises that I may be up for a rank-and-file position proper.  Does anyone know the dates for when the Intensive Drill Period starts?

logan7979 said:
i think in 5 years ive known one CG driver whos gone to Afghan and performed, the rest usually release or become class b hounds.

I would stay away from being a driver in the militia, more chances then not your extremely lazy and you don't even know it.

Pretty broad statement there...

If you want to put in as a driver for CG then go for it.  I've seen some pretty hard working drivers/storemen.

Fishandchipsandbeer said:
Start dates on the Big Tasking List at work were 28 or 30 May and 02 June.

I was told I would origianlly commence driving around this time - but what of the actual Intensive Drill Period?  Is this the same?  Sorry for the questions - its just that I have to make a downpayment on this travel opportunity soon, and I don't want to get jammed by having to give up the downpayment!  I guess to clarify a bit more, the trip I'm looking at doing lasts from roughly 27 April to 4 or 5 May.  In anyone's professional experience, will this leave me lots of time?  I was always under the impression that the intensive drill period began early May - but, I might be confusing this with the CG BMQ they run at Connaught - which would match up with a late May start date for the actual Intensive Drill Period.

I think I may have just answered my own question....!

Corps of Guides said:
I was told I would origianlly commence driving around this time - but what of the actual Intensive Drill Period?  Is this the same?  Sorry for the questions - its just that I have to make a downpayment on this travel opportunity soon, and I don't want to get jammed by having to give up the downpayment!  I guess to clarify a bit more, the trip I'm looking at doing lasts from roughly 27 April to 4 or 5 May.  In anyone's professional experience, will this leave me lots of time?  I was always under the impression that the intensive drill period began early May - but, I might be confusing this with the CG BMQ they run at Connaught - which would match up with a late May start date for the actual Intensive Drill Period.

I think I may have just answered my own question....!

You *may* be offered the driver position contingent on being able to support their basic courses as a driver storeman. That said, I'm quite sure I remember people joining the C.G. organization in HQ Coy capacities in both the May and mid-June personnel intakes. It will, as always, be 'watch and shoot' up to and including the time you sign a contract. All you can do is hope your units OPS tries to pull info down for you as soon as possible. If you're lucky you'll get your trip, but a contract as nice as a four month driver position in Ottawa is one where you can't be too picky or someone else will gladly snap it up. The one good thing you have going for you is that a great deal of the available labour from LFCA is already on TF 3-08. Best of luck, in either case.

I had a couple of interesting summers at CG. I've had my fill though, I think.

While LFCA is assigned the funds, the tasks to support the CG are divided amongst the areas at the national G3 conference.  All the areas are hurting for people, which is why this year's CG brique is being sourced nationally - all four LFAs have promised to provide personnel.

So I'm correct that the CG BMQ begins in May, with the Intensive Drill Period being from the end of that BMQ until the commencement of public duties?

Corps of Guides said:
So I'm correct that the CG BMQ begins in May, with the Intensive Drill Period being from the end of that BMQ until the commencement of public duties?

I recall things running that way in prior years. I'm not part of CG this year though, so you'll have to confirm that independently- but you're not out to lunch at least. Hopefully that helps.

Staff will be reporting mid april, a PLQ likely to start in the last week of april and the Band BMQ to start around the same time.  Not sure if any other BMQ will be run this year.  Intensive drill won't start until June.  So I would assume some drivers will need to show up in April/May and others the week before June.

Thank you very much!  Thats exactly what I was hoping to hear.  My trip should end the 4th of May, so I think I'm going to book this week!

Keep in mind I said "assume".  Why don't you talk to your OPS cell about the tasking brique.  They should have the dates.

ASSUME = A$$ - U - ME = A$$ - YOU & ME

Spoke with OPs, looks like I'm going on my trip to Holland and then very likely driving for CG.  I'm happy!

Hello everyone,
As you all can see this is my first post and I am new to the forums!  For those who are wondering much like I was before this week, the CG BMQ at CFB Connaught will begin Sunday, April 27th.  This information is based on what a Corporal in recruiting told me from the 4RCR.  I am almost done the recruitment process in order to join the 4RCR and will be attending CG this summer.  I Hope this information is useful to others as well!  See you all this summer!
Carl

Interesting.... so which courses / qualifications are you supposed to obtain this summer?  BMQ & SQ?

CG Crses this summer in Connaught are:

BMQ (CG)

27 Apr to 29 May

BMQ (CG Band)

20 Apr to 22 May

PLQ Mod 1-5 (CG)

28 Apr to 27 May

PLQ Mod 6 (CG)

28 May to 10 Jun

SQ Courses are all being run in Meaford for everyone:

02 Jun to 27 Jun
03 Jul to 25 Jul
06 Aug to 29 Aug

Ummm - SQ in Meaford...
so I guess this means the SQ course can't be offered to the CG people.

Here is the latest update, just off the press.

BMQ 23 Apr- 16 May
BMQ 30 Apr- 16 May (TBC)
PLQ 23- Apr- 30 May

Hope this helps.

Back