• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CDN Mukluks Vs U.S. Bunny Boots

jjronnie

Inactive
Reaction score
What do you think are the better cold weather boots, the Canadian issue mukluks or the U.S. white bunny boots?

You mean these
30221.jpg
US "Bunny Boots" vs  these
b5_1.JPG
CF Mukluks

Canadian Military extreme cold weather boots :Rated to -60 C.

US Bunny Boots : Rated for temperates below -20 degrees F( -28.8888889 degree Celsius). Some white bunny boots apparently are rated to protect an inactive wearer to -40 degrees F (-40 degree Celsius), and an active wearer to -60 degrees F ( -51.1111111 degree Celsius). (U.S. Army Pub. "Cold Weather Injury Prevention" 2-8165)

So draw your conclusion from that.

The Mukluk's are definitely lighter than the "bunny boots". I have tried the USAF mukluk and worn the bunny boot extensively I preferred the bunny boot in sub zero weather. The mukluk would be great for winter camping/ice fishing in other than an arctic situation. Just my druthers. :)

mukluk1a.jpg

Bunny Boots?

Years and years ago (1970/1971) the Canadian Army had these tremendous blocks of rubber that we fondly refered to as "Mickey Mouse" boots... They looked very much like the "Bunny" boots - but there were no inflation valves on the side.

geo said:
Bunny Boots?

Years and years ago (1970/1971) the Canadian Army had these tremendous blocks of rubber that we fondly refered to as "Mickey Mouse" boots... They looked very much like the "Bunny" boots - but there were no inflation valves on the side.

are you talking about the overboots? 

The air valves had to be opened up while flying. Of course the wags in the unit would tell newbies that the valves were to be uased for blowing ait into the boots to "make the boots warmer". ;D

Xfire said:
are you talking about the overboots? 

Oh no, not the galoshes.... still have 2 prs of those somewhere.....
Nope, MICKEY MOUSE BOOTS.  carved out of solid rubber.  Really had no give in the foot & ankles so next near impossible to move in ops BUT, if you were stuck in a trench someplace wet & cold, all you had to do was wiggle your toes to generate warmth.

Then again, we wore those boots & sheepskin overcoats as recruits..... Ahhhh the good old days (NOT!)

tomahawk6 said:
The air valves had to be opened up while flying. Of course the wags in the unit would tell newbies that the valves were to be uased for blowing ait into the boots to "make the boots warmer". ;D

I'm a tad lost... why do they have an air valve in the first place?

The NFLD Grinch said:
You mean these geo?

They certainly look familiar... haven't come close to any of em for +/- 30 yrs
My feet and ankles ache at the very thought of wearing em..... no flex

Knecht Ruprecht said:

The Cdn Mickey Mouse boots had no valve... never had the pleasure.

geo said:
The Cdn Mickey Mouse boots had no valve... never had the pleasure.

Sorry I was referring to tomahawk on that question.

I was issued Mickey Mouse boots in Petawawa; they were okay in a cold, wet climate but my feet sweated in them.

Mukluks were great in the Army of the West's cold, dry conditions.

What sucked was getting neither. We used to put on three pairs of wool socks under our old cloth overshoes and "clog" a lot to keep our feet just above numb circa 1958. Don't even ask about the rest of our winter gear, which we didn't have.

Knecht Ruprecht said:
One explanation was so the Yanks could inflate the boots with helium because they all wanted to be a little "light in the loafers".   

But seriously, the following is from U.S. Army Uniforms of the Cold War, 1948-1973 by Shelby L. Stanton
By 1971 exploratory engineer development had commenced on a LINCLOE micro-cellular urethane coated boot with outsoles and unit-molded upper portions.  Each boot weighed only 23 ounces.  The pull-on “semi-jackboot” style boots were easy to put on and take off, and the “Vibram” design gave good traction.  The close-fitting ankle design provided adequate ankle support.

The white rubber cold-dry insulated boots with release valve were designed to protect the feet in temperatures as low as minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit.  The boots were made of white latex and calendered rubber compound with a seamless inner and outer carcass and sealed insulation.  They were worn over one pair of cushion-sole socks.  The outside air-release valve provided parachutists with a means of equalizing external and internal air pressures when undergoing altitude changes.  The valve was closed at all other times to prevent moisture from reaching the boot’s insulation and rendering it unserviceable.

The boots could be compared to being made from a thin self-inflating mattress, which provided reasonable insulation when used properly, but if the foam got wet, you were screwed.

The NFLD Grinch said:
You mean these
30221.jpg
US "Bunny Boots" vs  these
b5_1.JPG
CF Mukluks

Canadian Military extreme cold weather boots :Rated to -60 C.

US Bunny Boots : Rated for temperates below -20 degrees F( -28.8888889 degree Celsius). Some white bunny boots apparently are rated to protect an inactive wearer to -40 degrees F (-40 degree Celsius), and an active wearer to -60 degrees F ( -51.1111111 degree Celsius). (U.S. Army Pub. "Cold Weather Injury Prevention" 2-8165)

So draw your conclusion from that.

They may be rated to -60 but you're feet have the propensity too start freezing at -20 in those pieces of garbage.  I'm very pleased with the C Coy 1PPCLI OCs call too allow troops to wear non issued extreme weather boots when we went into the arctic.  I had no problems at all ONCE with my feet for the twoish weeks I was up there.  Back in 2002? Different story, I wore the crap they issued me and recieved frost bite on my feet multiple times.

TheHead said:
They may be rated to -60 but you're feet have the propensity too start freezing at -20 in those pieces of garbage.  I'm very pleased with the C Coy 1PPCLI OCs call too allow troops to wear non issued extreme weather boots when we went into the arctic.  I had no problems at all ONCE with my feet for the twoish weeks I was up there.  Back in 2002? Different story, I wore the crap they issued me and recieved frost bite on my feet multiple times.

What non-issue boots would they wear?

Old Sweat said:
I was issued Mickey Mouse boots in Petawawa; they were okay in a cold, wet climate but my feet sweated in them.

Mukluks were great in the Army of the West's cold, dry conditions.

What sucked was getting neither. We used to put on three pairs of wool socks under our old cloth overshoes and "clog" a lot to keep our feet just above numb circa 1958. Don't even ask about the rest of our winter gear, which we didn't have.

The MM boots made your feet sweat?  of course the non breathing rubber block they were carved out of contributed to that little problem.  Having to wear "ankle boots" or later Combat boots left a little to be desired - thankfuly, we progressed.

WRT the Muklucks - they worked fine for me in the "Army of the East".  I also wore them all over Baffin Island & in the Resolute Bay area with absolutely no ill effect. 

Back