• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CDN Mukluks Vs U.S. Bunny Boots

TheHead said:
They may be rated to -60 but you're feet have the propensity too start freezing at -20 in those pieces of garbage.  I'm very pleased with the C Coy 1PPCLI OCs call too allow troops to wear non issued extreme weather boots when we went into the arctic.  I had no problems at all ONCE with my feet for the twoish weeks I was up there.  Back in 2002? Different story, I wore the crap they issued me and recieved frost bite on my feet multiple times.

Not sure about the circumstances whereby you had your problems with the issued footewear.  Have travelled extensively in Northern Quebec, all of Bafin & Cornwallis islands without a major complaint for my muklucks.

geo said:
Not sure about the circumstances whereby you had your problems with the issued footewear.  Have travelled extensively in Northern Quebec, all of Bafin & Cornwallis islands without a major complaint for my muklucks.

How were you travelling and too what lengths?.  The first time I was up in the Arctic we were travelling on the back tabogans connected too skidoos for 8-12 hours a day.  I think that may have been a problem.  I've always had problems with the muklucks but that's maybe just me.  Every single ex even in wainwright I've gone on when the temp has dipped below -20 my feet freeze. Maybe I need new feet.

TheHead said:
How were you travelling and too what lengths?.  The first time I was up in the Arctic we were travelling on the back tabogans connected too skidoos for 8-12 hours a day.  I think that may have been a problem.  I've always had problems with the muklucks but that's maybe just me.  Every single ex even in wainwright I've gone on when the temp has dipped below -20 my feet freeze. Maybe I need new feet.

There's your problem - you were sitting on the tobaggons, being pulled by the ski-doos.

All my time up there was spent PULLING the damned tobaggons - for freakin' days.  Tends to warm you up a bit.  -40 in t-shirts when you were in the traces - bundled up as much as you could when you were resting.

I only ever once had a problem with the mukluks - the "socks frieze" got wet, I didn't dry 'em - instant frost bite.  I was too scared (or perhaps, stupid) to say anything at the time - I figured it was "self-inflicted" caused by my own stupidity.  To this day the circulation in my feet is shot - they're perpetually cold (ask my wife).

All that said - not every piece of kit suits the needs of every soldier and/or situation.  The subject of endless threads around here.

Head,
As Roy stated, riding on a snowmobile is very much the problem.  No movement = no circulation.  No circulation = cold feet.  My trips up north had a lot more to do with snowshoes, tobbogans and a lot of humping.

Years later, when I did go back & dealt with tobbogans and snowmobiles, I travelled on the snowmobile & had my feet sheltered.  standing on the metal deck but, sheltered from the wind.

the issue Mukluks  are great as long as its cold and dry , or they get something that end up at 20 lbs per foot. then you have to try to dry them out , thats easy if you have  BV 206 running 24/7. but some times trying to dry  them out in a tent  just doesnt work.

I have seen the US boots, but never used them. Those ole mukkies have kept my feet warm on many of cold Canadian nights.

With proper maintenance, felt soles and mesh inserts, an extra pair of liners, and socks changed accordingly, one was always warm.

Although i have not worn any since the winter of 1994, I brought them out to Australia with me, and they are most likely never to be worn again, but they still, to me are the best winter footwear the CF has had, and maybe thats why after decades of use, they are still in the system.

For winter footwear we use Zamberlan Italian hiking boots, which are crap, and thats what the Lads in Afghanistan are using.

My two bob.

Wes

No problems with the issued mucklucks (other than them slightly melting), one of the only times I have ever seen anyone with a problem is if the never had the felt and mesh liners inserted in the soles. 
Just  came off my SERE and let me say the Airforce has the right kind of thinking by telling us to light big huge assed fires to keep us warm. No Problem drying wet kit. 

mover1 said:
... the right kind of thinking by telling us to light big huge assed fires to keep us warm. No Problem drying wet kit. 

Indian build small fire.  Sit close. Keep warm.  White man build big fire - keep warm gathering wood.

;D

LOL TCBF... but that's what they teach :) and well honestly, it works well to a certain point, like you said with the constant hunt for wood. However, if you're in a wet and damp environment, a large fire also aids your drying of new fire wood. Win, win.

The fit of the mukluk also has a lot to do with how warm your feet are. I had a pair that were a half-size too small when I was in Labrador, and I got frostbite. That was my fault, as I should have wornheavier socks when I was sized for them. I had a properly fitting pair when I was at CFNA, and I was all over the place with no issues...except getting my mukluks soaked in -30 when we got a skidoo caught in a patch of overflow. Warming up was easy though...my inners were frozen up so much I needed a mallet to pound the damn things to soften them enough to pull them out so I could replace them.  ;)

Many of the Ranger Instructors I worked with swore by the Sorels though, but they went a hell of a lot further past the treeline than I ever did.

Actually TCBF the instructor did call it a "big F#@% off white mans fire"
It was nice until it went out at two in the morning.
But by that time  I was uncomfortably sleeping in my 18 inches of spruce bows dreaming of a breakfast JUJUBE that I was allowed to pluck out of my emergency ration.

Slight tangent but interesting nonetheless.

We wore leather ski march boots all the time in arctic Norway. Not the best kit, but we made it work. Temps rarely got below minus 40 though, and we were always skiing - being ski troops. When it got really cold, we tended to go into defensive positions in tents to warm up. I'm thinking that these US Marines wore boots similar to ours for this study because I remember the USMC copying our M&AW equipment (the fools) down to the sock, boot and tent sheet, despite our advice. I don't ever remember our casualty rates being that high though (12.7%), as we did constant foot inspections and tracked all that stuff pretty closely.

Injuries and risk factors in an 18-day Marine winter mountain training exercise

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3912/is_200012/ai_n8905089/pg_1

Injuries and risk factors in an 18-day Marine winter mountain training exercise

Military Medicine,  Dec 2000  by Reynolds, Katy

Objectives: This study determined the incidence of and risk factors for injuries among 356 Marines during a winter mountain training exercise. Methods: Marines received a podiatry screening and completed a questionnaire on race, education, tobacco use, height, weight, and fitness (4.8-km run, sit-ups, pull-ups). Results: Forty-five Marines (12.696%) reported at least one injury each, 68.996 of which were traumatic injuries. Total injuries resulted in 114 days of limited duty time. A final foot examination (N = 141) revealed 118 injuries (82.2% blisters and abrasions, 11.996 frostnip). White ethnicity was a risk factor for overall injuries, and forefoot varus alignment was a risk factor for traumatic injuries. Lower education and rank and smokeless tobacco use were associated with foot injuries. The Marine ski-march leather boot and smoking were related to foot cold injuries. Conclusions: Military winter training is associated with injuries and lost training time. Risk factors were identified, suggesting that these injuries may be preventable.

"The Marine ski-march leather boot and smoking were related to foot cold injuries. "

And now smoking causes foot cold injuries..... When will it ever end??  ::)

Rodahn said:
"The Marine ski-march leather boot and smoking were related to foot cold injuries. "

And now smoking causes foot cold injuries..... When will it ever end??  ::)

It's a well-known fact that smoking affects circulation.
Cigarette smoking causes reduced circulation by narrowing the blood vessels (arteries). Smokers are more than 10 times as likely as nonsmokers to develop peripheral vascular disease.

From the CDC Website

BBC Article

And yes, I'm a smoker

The Muck Lucks (god did I ever laugh when i heard that name for the first time) have never failed me, even on those cold -55c (that's with windchill of course) on planet Meaford in a snowtrench looking out for the boogie man, BUUUURRRRRRR! the only  problem is that they're not waterproof so you step in something wet or soggy and you'll hate yourself for not looking where you were going, but thankfully I haven't made that mistake yet.

ProPatria031 said:
The Muck Lucks (god did I ever laugh when i heard that name for the first time) have never failed me, even on those cold -55c (that's with windchill of course) on planet Meaford in a snowtrench looking out for the boogie man, BUUUURRRRRRR! the only  problem is that they're not waterproof so you step in something wet or soggy and you'll hate yourself for not looking where you were going, but thankfully I haven't made that mistake yet.

That's why you're supposed to be issued two stes of socks & innersoles...

ProPatria031 said:

Was never a big problem for me when I had to wear them and thankfully I am no longer "required" to be outside in that type of weather, only do it now for (and at) my pleasure.  As a solution to the "wet or soggy" issue I wore (issued) Goretex socks in the mukluks in that type of condition, even though they were not part of that footwear system.

What is the best way to get the mucklucks back to a nice, white colour. Mine were brand new but after a week of trudging around Edmonton they're not so white.

Try a washing machine on gentle cycle, always worked for mine, just don't machine dry.

Back