• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CBC: "An 'embarrassing' gear shortage has Canadian troops in Latvia buying their own helmets"

Meanwhile, the Senior Gunner be like: 'You can shove your helmets.... I just dare you" ;)

View attachment 77960

Ridiculous.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/45/Gevær_M10.jpg

This is the Danish Army standard issue rifle set up.
C8 IUR adopted in 2010. I remember handling and firing an IUR in 2010, while its a bit dated now still ahead of our C7A2.
Elcan Specter DR adopted in 2020.
DBAL A3 LAD with integrated WML. Interesting that they went for a dual combination vs two stand alone systems. Either way its still ahead of our mix of PEQ 2 and PAQ 4 paired with no WML of any sort ( I know some units have old WMLs purchased with unit money during the early-mid 2000s but there is no actual program of record for WMLs)

Here is a CA/Colt Canada pre production prototype of a C8A4 contender for the Canadian Modular Assault Rifle (CMAR) due for IOC in 2026/2027 best case scenario.
Always fun seeing our peers with vastly better equipment, even more fun when you realize they've had that for while (as for the better part of a decade).

But honestly, the IUR/MRR are a pain in the ass to clean and are notoriously front heavy; and, there are plethora of commercially available rail mounting solutions that can achieve a near perfect free floating barrel at a fraction of the weight and cost associated with the IUR/MRR.

Actually it just points out that a lot of the CAF issued gear is 20years old and not practical currently.
It is practical just not as practical as it could be.

Wanting the best kit is a good thing, but completely dismissing serviceable kit is also folly. We spend so much time trying to replace sufficient kit for no reason other than something slightly better has come out well ignoring the complete gaps in capabilities we possess.

Integrated hearing protection seems like a huge benefit. I have intermittent tinnitus from being too close to a CIWS that fired unexpectedly (long story with a safety investigation) so I can't imagine not having that handy if my day to day involved possible unexpected weapons firing. Just a partial VAC claim will pay for that helmet many times over, and it also really sucks.

Wanting the best kit is a good thing, but completely dismissing serviceable kit is also folly. We spend so much time trying to replace sufficient kit for no reason other than something slightly better has come out well ignoring the complete gaps in capabilities we possess.
Lightweight effective load carriage equipment (which can actually carry the doctrinal fighting load stated in the Inf Sect & Pl Operations BGL would be nice); lightweight ballistic armour carriers with plates (enough of which to issue to pers and scalable so commanders can scale the level of protection required against legitimate concerns like not producing hot weather or cold weather casualties); lightweight rain gear (that is actually lightweight, waterproof and packable unlike the current abortion we issue)...

All of which may seem inconsequential with other capability gaps we suffer from, but are of critical import to a large component of the land force.

Are we at the point that RSMs and Sgt-Maj's will actually let troops wear non-issued helmets? I remember the big gong show it was when someone tried to replace the harness in the helmet and was told that if they got injured using non-issued gear they wouldn't be covered by VAC.
It is none of their business. Operational dress is the business of the chain of command. That is one of the many reasons brown or tan boots as well as non standard rigs were allowed in 1VP and later 1 CMBG...well before bootforgen

As someone who joined in the late 80s, who had his US raingear seized as unauthorized by a Sgt who shortly after changed his mind and started wearing a strangely familiar US raingear... The current raingear is a marked improvement.

I recall lobbying for hearing protection with integrated radio communication that would allow members of the ship's engineering department to talk to each other while wearing hearing protection. That went precisely nowhere. That was over 30 years ago.
That idea resurfaces every 5-10 years and gets pushed aside for not being sexy. Maybe we just need to add VR glasses with LEDs and integrated wifi to get hearing protection that you can plug your radio into.

In some areas it isn’t even practical at this point.
The fact the conventional CAF still has PEQ and PAC IR lasers is a little embarrassing especially as there aren’t even enough for the entire Reg Force.
The PAC-4C was obsolete when the CAF got them, and the PEQ-2B was scheduled to be replaced.
Not having a useful modern MFAL is a terrible issue for night operations.
You don’t necessarily needed cutting edge, but woefully inadequate doesn’t do either.

Let along to talk about the TRIAD Pitchfork, when other conventional Militaries have had 1913 rail systems since before 9-11, and have even started to get MLOK systems.

There is a ton of other stuff that should have been replaced years ago, and only someone out of touch with reality would consider serviceable for a front line soldier.

Hearing Protection that fits the helmet - and can link to one’s comms…
That’s no long a nice to have item, they are just necessities at this point.

In some areas it isn’t even practical at this point.

The fact the conventional CAF still has PEQ and PAC IR lasers is a little embarrassing especially as there aren’t even enough for the entire Reg Force.
The PAC-4C was obsolete when the CAF got them, and the PEQ-2B was scheduled to be replaced.
Not having a useful modern MFAL is a terrible issue for night operations.
You don’t necessarily needed cutting edge, but woefully inadequate doesn’t do either.

Let along to talk about the TRIAD Pitchfork, when other conventional Militaries have had 1913 rail systems since before 9-11, and have even started to get MLOK systems.

There is a ton of other stuff that should have been replaced years ago, and only someone out of touch with reality would consider serviceable for a front line soldier.

Hearing Protection that fits the helmet - and can link to one’s comms…
That’s no long a nice to have item, they are just necessities at this point.

Dude... he's in the room ;)

1686001994829.png

Has anyone else seen reporting that the cut down helmets are funning into issues in Ukraine due to frag injuries to the ear areas that used to have protection? I thought I saw this somewhere but wasn't sure.

Has anyone else seen reporting that the cut down helmets are funning into issues in Ukraine due to frag injuries to the ear areas that used to have protection? I thought I saw this somewhere but wasn't sure.
I know it seems like there is a huge gap in protection with the high cuts, but the difference is pretty marginal especially if you're looking at the big name products from Ops-Core/Gentex, Galvion/Revision, and Team Wendy with how their shells are shaped. Additionally, if fragmentation is a huge concern they can all mount ballistic mandibles (which would also be useful for ATV and top cover work in general).

I wonder if the change in cadpat will finally force them to replace the tac vest.
Well considering the new combats in the new pattern start circulating this month, I would say not any time soon for the greater CAF.

I have not, but I would not be surprised to see some instances of frag penetrating where the helmet would have covered. Same issue faces plate carriers vs frag vests with plates such as ours or the US IOTV.

Is active hearing protection worth the trade off of less protection? I would argue yes, I am not as convinced that plate carriers are the right answer if you’re facing a large fragmentation threat.

Ideally the system would be able to issue stuff to allow the commanders to tailor their load outs and protection levels.
Some of the helmet designs now do allow that modularity in protection.

I wonder if the change in cadpat will finally force them to replace the tac vest.

Good point.

A cam pattern change might prompt a shift as opposed to, you know, the fact that they've been pretty useless from the day they were issued ;)

I have not, but I would not be surprised to see some instances of frag penetrating where the helmet would have covered. Same issue faces plate carriers vs frag vests with plates such as ours or the US IOTV.

Is active hearing protection worth the trade off of less protection? I would argue yes, I am not as convinced that plate carriers are the right answer if you’re facing a large fragmentation threat.

Ideally the system would be able to issue stuff to allow the commanders to tailor their load outs and protection levels.
Some of the helmet designs now do allow that modularity in protection.

Attachments

• OIP (4).jpeg
    OIP (4).jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 5
Back