• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAP 2010

Hey, I'm going to Aldershot for June 7th too. Do you know who I should get in contact with to get any joining instructions, specifically a kit list? I'm getting everything in order for leaving Sunday, and I'm not entirely sure what I need to bring yet.

We were also told we would be getting any missing kit during CAP so I'm hoping that they were right about that, as I am probably missing quite a bit and don't know what I need anyways.

Sharksfan,

I should have specified, I'll be in Gagetown. If your still at RMC get on the DWAN and follow the link that appears on your posting message. If you can't get on the DWAN, PM me your email address and I can send you a copy of the kit list, unfortunately I only have the Gagetown Joining Instructions (and only a hard copy at that). Don't worry about the kit either, almost everyone going on CAP from RMC is missing the same kit as you.

Hey gents thanks for all the great info above.

Quick question, with a bit of background.  I'm a first year UTPNCM student at RMC and there's talk of getting me course-loaded on BMOQ-L this summer.  My issue is this: even though I've only got PLQ Common (which PLAR'd to BMOQ) since I've already done all the things in the QS on operations how much leg work would I expect I need to complete to get the equivaleny?

I'm working on some letters of reference from my former CoC and am working on the PLAR/equivalency request...  any tips or pointers?  What aspects of the course are the most key, as in what should I stress I already know how to and have already done?

LAN Rover said:
I'm working on some letters of reference from my former CoC and am working on the PLAR/equivalency request...  any tips or pointers?  What aspects of the course are the most key, as in what should I stress I already know how to and have already done?

I have no idea about PLARs but I just did this course. The main things were that we walked away from Gagetown:

Qualified on C9, Pistol, and grenade, and 522 Radio. Also navigating with the DAGR.

Leed (recce) patrols, led section attacks, and led some sort of defensive op.

And then there was the teaching theory and PT classes module.

LAN Rover said:
Hey gents thanks for all the great info above.

Quick question, with a bit of background.  I'm a first year UTPNCM student at RMC and there's talk of getting me course-loaded on BMOQ-L this summer.  My issue is this: even though I've only got PLQ Common (which PLAR'd to BMOQ) since I've already done all the things in the QS on operations how much leg work would I expect I need to complete to get the equivaleny?

If you haven't done the PLQ L Mod 6 then I highly doubt that you will get a PLAR for the FIELD portion of any course.  You do not get a PLAR for CAP; you either do it or you fail in your attempt to do it.

Unless things have changed this year (which is possible), LFDTS was granting partial equivalencies for CAP (since it has been modularized a few years ago).

Without PLQ Mod 6, most people have gotten Mod 1 and Mod 5, with a possibility of Mod 2. This has been most commonly former Reservists that have CTed/Commissioned and us happy-go-lucky UT's.

LAN,

For your application, it is best to go line-by-line for the CAP curriculum. Match up the lessons with PLQ, add in any applicable skills used/learned overseas. Do not forget to include workup training. Highly stress any/all leadership positions held while on operations, a great deal of emphasis is being/ has been placed on leadership roles (rightly so).

Right now, any kind of leadership role on convoys/activities outside the wire count the most. If your letters/UER can back that up, you have a much better chance.

If you have any more specific questions, let me know.

Hope life with the Post-Grad dept is much better than under the Cadet Wing.
Go Otter!

Wook

ballz said:
I have no idea about PLARs but I just did this course. The main things were that we walked away from Gagetown:

Qualified on C9, Pistol, and grenade, and 522 Radio. Also navigating with the DAGR.

Leed (recce) patrols, led section attacks, and led some sort of defensive op.

And then there was the teaching theory and PT classes module.

ballz, you forgot the map and compass!! DAGR sucked. They sent us to the survival training ground by Greenwood for our NAV week. Man. My DS Sect  2IC called it the Moon With Trees. He wasn't kidding. DAGR near useless in this terrain. Kept losing the signal... and don't get me started on comms in the area.

You'll also do Range O's. At Aldershot, we had to write out our entire Range O's by hand, including the PWT's, RSO's, etc. Which sucked if you had to do C7 PWT 3, but was infinitely easier if you were doing grenades ;)

Then you run the range for which you wrote out orders.

blackberet17 said:
ballz, you forgot the map and compass!! DAGR sucked.

Well you are considered competant with a map and compass after basic, there was no test on CAP for map & compass that I recall, although the instructors were diligent about helping us improve our map and compass skills. The only nav test that I recall is the DAGR, and you're right, it does suck.

blackberet17 said:
You'll also do Range O's. At Aldershot, we had to write out our entire Range O's by hand, including the PWT's, RSO's, etc. Which sucked if you had to do C7 PWT 3, but was infinitely easier if you were doing grenades ;)

Then you run the range for which you wrote out orders.

Yes I did fail to mention this. At Gagetown we also had to write out our Range O's by hand. Then you run your range as an RSO and act as ARSO and stuff, and end up qualified as an RSO and ARSO.

I am going on CAP this fall, what is the weekends off like, are they far in between or do you get every weekend off except when your in the field?

Coyner, it will depend.

In the summer-run CAPs, we had a weekend or two where we lost one day, i.e., worked 6 days, off one, on 5. It depended on the holidays (Canada Day, Victoria Day).

Then there's the possibility of being CB'd because someone decided it would be a good idea to FUBAR the rest of his/her pl by doing something completely stupid, like going AWOL or writing graffiti on the men's stall wall with the name of his DS and what he may or may not like to do with horses of a weekend.

So, for the fall, if you have a holiday in the trg calendar, expect (but don't) to work an extra IOT have the holiday off.

I see, just wanted tio know because my to be wife and mine's wedding reception is 01 Oct 11, so just wanted to know if I would make it.

Will do, hopefully I do not receive any kicks in the arse from the Army or my future wife!

You did say CAP, right? Depending on your crse staff, you may just have to take the kicks no matter what.

As for the future wife... dunno. Does she play soccer? :)

Back