• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CANFORGEN 97/08 LDA FAQs

So has this been scrapped for reservists, and we'll still continue to receive the daily rate? I'd much prefer 7 years of backpay instead of almost 3 years.

Anyone know if there is a Canforgen that covers procedures for retired members to apply for the backpay.  I am not sure the mechanics of the points system but I retired  in Jan 2008 after 20 years having about 12 years in operational units as listed in the Canforgen link including 2RCR, 1 SVC BN, and 2 CMBG HQ and Sigs. 

If this is retro to Apr 2007, I should be entitled to something as I was with 2CMBG from 2006-2008.  Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

This may have already been answered but;

I am a reservist that was attached to 3VP for TF 1-08. We started work up in Apr 07. We were told in theater when the LDA came out that if reservists were attached posted on Cl C contracts we would be entitled to the allowance, at the lowest point level. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks

Reservists att-posted to a Reg F unit will receive the allowance, at the rate level to which they are entitled (meaning someone with former Reg F service who accumulated points may receive a higher rate).

Implementation is ongoing; I think the intent is to have it go through for everyone at the same time (to avoid the inevitable b**ching that would go on if it was paid as each file was processed).

Reservists will continue to be eligible for the casual allowance when deployed in the field.  And, if posted or att-posted to a unit entitled to LDA that member will receive it.

No Reserve units are on the list of LDA-eligible units, as the amount of filed time for a typical Reserve unit does not warrant the allowance.

dapaterson said:
No Reserve units are on the list of LDA-eligible units, as the amount of filed time for a typical Reserve unit does not warrant the allowance.

I would say that point would be debatable, especially considering some of the Reg F units that are entitled, however there are people paid far more than I am to decide these things.

A Reserve unit, in the Sept-May timeframe, parading alternate weekend (a rarity) with all those weekends in the field (another rarity) would see about 40 days in the field for a year.

A more realistic schedule would be half that number of weekends, half of those in the field, or 10 days per year.  Plus 7 in the summer for collective training.  17 days a year for a primarily part-time unit does not meet the cut-off for a monthly allowance.

Dapaterson,

Thanks for the reply. A couple quick questions of clarification;

1. You say att-posted, just to confirm, being on Cl C contract with that unit would count?

2. Is there any paper work I need to fill out for this allowance, or should it be automatic.

Thanks.

Class C with the unit should be OK.  Check your MPRR to ensure the details were captured there.

I'm not certain about the admin process; it would probably be worthwhile to ask up your chain of command.

When it comes, it comes..... this is bonus money, nothing more. What will be interesting with this LDA is to see how many members get themselves into bad financial spots. Picture it - Soldier belonging to a Reg Force combat arms Regiment starts getting monthly LDA..... say he's in the second bracket of 400+ a month...... His normal pay is budgeted out for his home, car, insurances and bills..... now he's getting this extra 400+ so he decides to go for another vehicle, new home with higher mortgage or some other long term financial commitment counting on that 400+ a month to make it work...... next APS said soldier gets posted to a non designated unit. *poof*.... LDA gone and a financial burden is born....  I'll be sure to enjoy this money, but in no way do I intend to to bank on this LDA as a guarenteed income  for year after year to be included in my monthly budget.

reccecrewman said:
I'll be sure to enjoy this money, but in no way do I intend to to bank on this LDA as a guarenteed income  for year after year to be included in my monthly budget.

That's a great point and one I would make as well.  Bank it, put it into tax-free savings, RRSP, RESP, whatever.  No different than the people who get used to receiving PLD and get posted somewhere they don't get it.

...and it will happen.

Same thing happens in the Navy with sea pay - they get used to it and then one day it is gone.  Best not to put it into your budget.  I kept sea pay as on board spending money so that D9 didn't have to change the budget to accomodate my away expenses - shaving gear, family gifts, etc >:D

Recently received an email with a brief attached which stated that most will have the LDA by the end of this month - mind you that brief was actually given in Nov.

I plan to open one of those TFSA accounts and drop my LDA in there each month. I already have a budget with mine and 9D's money...... so I figured that TFSA would be the best way to use this new cash.

Here we go again..... just got told MAYBE summer 09 we'll see this LDA. After being told in January we should be getting it around April. It just keeps getting pished back farther and farther.

Reccecrewman

CDS mandated no later then 15 Apr for back pay and start of LDA. So whoever is telling you summer is wrong. Have you signed the form that OR has done up to calculate the points you have accumulated?

I am in Borden, was posted to a LDA entitled units until this summer. Did up the paper work last week and was told my back pay will be on my end Mar pay.

One thing I saw though, is the back pay amounts are less than the LDA allowance. For the clerk types, is this to compensate for us already possible collecting field pay in the past?

Further for the clerk types, in doing up my paperwork, I noticed one of my former units A Sqn 8CH in Gagetown was not a LDA enitiles unit, even though it was just a "cap badge change" carried-on from C Sqn RCD from 93-96ish...Is there no recognition for historic units who are not around anymore?

SFB said:
I am in Borden, was posted to a LDA entitled units until this summer. Did up the paper work last week and was told my back pay will be on my end Mar pay.

One thing I saw though, is the back pay amounts are less than the LDA allowance. For the clerk types, is this to compensate for us already possible collecting field pay in the past?

Further for the clerk types, in doing up my paperwork, I noticed one of my former units A Sqn 8CH in Gagetown was not a LDA enitiles unit, even though it was just a "cap badge change" carried-on from C Sqn RCD from 93-96ish...Is there no recognition for historic units who are not around anymore?

Did you calculate Taxes and other deductions into your equation?

I don't recall seeing C Sqn RCD in the list of entitled Units.  That is a moot point as both Sqns predate the eligibility of the Allowance.

If I'm not mistaken, the back pay amounts are all being paid at the lowest rate to make things easier.

SFB

I am not sure why you saw the back pay being posted at less then the LDA amount. As it is straight from our clerks and the paper work they have outlined to us the back pay is your points from Apr 07-Mar08 and then Mar 08-present at what points you were entitled to during those times.

If your points changed your entitlement during that time then your back pay reflects that..for me it was simple level 2 thru out. But some go from initial to lvl 2 half way thru and that added some cash and some work LOL.

Wow it's very odd how all these reports are so widely different, thankfuly our clerks let us see all the paperwork and walk us all thru it.

George,
Its for my points entitlement. In my history of LDA entitled units, C Sqn was there, A Sqn was not. Not that makes a difference to me right now, but once I am posted back to a unit entitled environmental allowances, the 18 months worth of points will put me just under the 216 points req'd to max out.

Back