• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Surface Combatant RFQ

Lumber said:
Unfortunately, yes...

No problem, thought you were pulling my leg.  If I put my radar engineer hat on for a second, they’re really referring to ‘solid state’ as in what generates the transmitted signal.  In a nutshell, the newer active electronic (fully solid-state) scanning array (AESA) radars are composed of an array of hundreds (or thousands) of transmit/receive modules (TRMs).  Each TRM has on average 10-25W of averages transmitted power - total array power is then element power x number of elments, which is where can see AESA radars in the 3kW to 10kW avg power range.  The transmitted beam is then the addition of all the individual TRM beams, taking into account any phase-shifting the radar processor (RP) is going to apply to the array to steer the beam in the desired direction (electronically-scanned part of AESA).  Older radars based on klystrons, magnetrons and travelling wave tubes, while considered modern electronics (in the 20th century sense), may have some solid state components (like transistors, etc.) but their main power is derived from a large single source that then is distributed either through a single feed to to a horn on a classic parabolic mechanically-scanned antenna, or on slightly more modern flat mechanically-scanned antenna with a feed network that subdivides the main source’s signal across the face of the antenna.

So, solid-state is a bit of an older, less precise term.  More accurately they would have described CSC’s radar as a modern, multi-mode AESA radar.

Cheers,
G2G

Arguing for a BMD capability, even if only radar at first (China, NATO and Russia, and NORAD in mind--I'd simply focus on the NORAD angle rather than any serious involvement in western pacific and USN and Euros can do closer to Russia):

The Case for Canadian Naval Ballistic Missile Defence
http://www.navalreview.ca/wp-content/uploads/public/vol14num3/vol14num3art1.pdf

Mark
Ottawa

- "Canada is the only country of the major and middle powers without its own or part of a multilateral BMD system."

The current version of Canada is neither a major power or middle power by military measure.

New data about Type 26 multi-mission bay and interesting summary of "tools" to load on it.
https://www.savetheroyalnavy.org/the-type-26-frigate-mission-bay-part-2-configuration-and-contents/

Good find JMCanada!! Interesting they can put two Merlins in there, and they note that specifically for ASW work. That is a capability option that we lost a long time ago.  (2 helo det on DDH)

Cloud Cover said:
Good find JMCanada!! Interesting they can put two Merlins in there, and they note that specifically for ASW work. That is a capability option that we lost a long time ago.  (2 helo det on DDH)

It is not clear to me how a RAST would work with a tandem helicopter arrangement, vice side by side.

SeaKingTacco said:
It is not clear to me how a RAST would work with a tandem helicopter arrangement, vice side by side.

Sorry, Dale.

I just had an image of the old Canadian Army I served in, shuttling jerry cans back and forth.

Another interesting note by STRN: https://www.savetheroyalnavy.org/the-type-26-frigate-mission-bay-part-1-design-and-development/

"The published mock-ups of the Canadian Surface Combatant variant all show the boat bay has been moved aft slightly and reduced in size. The Australian Hunter class design appears to be identical to the RN Type 26 in this regard."

Again, its just a mock up drawing, but I can't help but wonder if the size of the Cyclone compared to the Merlin will have some bearing on Mission bay and Boat bay configurations?

Attachments

• Save the Royal Navy Capture CSC Comments on Boat Bay.PNG
    Save the Royal Navy Capture CSC Comments on Boat Bay.PNG
    926.1 KB · Views: 225
JMCanada said:
New data about Type 26 multi-mission bay and interesting summary of "tools" to load on it.
https://www.savetheroyalnavy.org/the-type-26-frigate-mission-bay-part-2-configuration-and-contents/

Interesting article, thanks for sharing.

Kinda sad how our new ships are built to utilize all of these varying UAVs, UUVs and RHIB types, varying helicopters and so on, but we don't actually have them.

Makes me think we bought a fancy new Snap On but forgot that we don't own any tools.

LoboCanada said:
Kinda sad how our new ships are built to utilize all of these varying UAVs, UUVs and RHIB types, varying helicopters and so on, but we don't actually have them.

Better this way, than the reverse (toys, but an incapable Ship). :nod:

Good2Golf said:
Better this way, than the reverse (toys, but an incapable Ship). :nod:

I agree with this, too. A solid, well built platform with lots growth potential is better than a lot of toys. It gives you lots of change potential, down the road.

SeaKingTacco said:
I agree with this, too. A solid, well built platform with lots growth potential is better than a lot of toys. It gives you lots of change potential, down the road.

Very true. It should also keep all the navy crap out of our hangar!

AirDet said:
Very true. It should also keep all the navy crap out of our hangar!

That's pretty optimistics; if there is no helo being embarked hangars are obvious storage areas (due to both the access and readily available tie downs) and great gyms.

On the flip side, you can operate a bunch of UAVs without having to deal with any air det drama, so there is a certain appeal to that at times!  ;D

Niagara 360
Fraser 361
Annapolis  362
Niagara 363
St Croix 364
St Laurent 365
Mackenzie 366
Columbia 367
Sagueway 368
Sheena 369
Ottawa 370
Yukon 371
Margaree 372
Saskatchewan 373
Terra Nova 374

Spencer100 said:
Niagara 360
Fraser 361
Annapolis  362
Niagara 363
St Croix 364
St Laurent 365
Mackenzie 366
Columbia 367
Sagueway 368
Sheena 369
Ottawa 370
Yukon 371
Margaree 372
Saskatchewan 373
Terra Nova 374

That's not accurate, the ships haven't been named yet. Thats what a former sailor would like to have them named, not true.

Back