• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Surface Combatant RFQ

From Aussie[Fox News story above:

THE German navy ordered four brand new warships, for a staggering price tag...

The Baden-Württemberg is the first of four new F-125 class frigates ordered by the Bundeswehr [DeutscheMarine], the German military, with a total price tag of around $A3.6 billion [C$ total about same]...

So less than $1 billion each, whereas RCN CSCs look like $4 billion per...

Mark
Ottawa

Mark
Ottawa

MTShaw said:
I prefer 7 Gigagrams

Appreciating the potential differing of views of leading zeros, shouldn't/couldn't it be 7.000000 Gigagrams when the conversion considers implicit significant digits of the original specification?

[/wayward mathgeek]

MarkOttawa said:
From Aussie[Fox News story above:

So less than $1 billion each, whereas RCN CSCs look like $4 billion per...

Their combat systems are significantly reduced from what is expected for CSC.  They have no air warfare capability and no antisubmarine warfare capability.  The majority of a ships cost is its combat systems.  CSC will be able to *gasp* defend itself from air attacks and *doublegasp* have antisubmarine warfare systems instead of zero.  Apples to oranges comparison.

Actually, they are slightly better armed multipurpose ship in the same (low) class as the Absalon.

Moreover: It's $1B each TODAY, as they are being built right now. The Canadian cost is the actual dollars value for ships to be built over18 years, starting almost five years from now. And as indicated before, it includes many other things than just the ships, unlike the one referred to by Fox in Germany. Finally (and how many times do I have to point this out), the PBO's actualized cost of the 15 CSC's [that is how much they would cost TODAY if we bought them all in one year] is $28B, which is $1.8B each. Since the three AD /Command version will cost a lot more than the other 12, you can easily evaluate based on recent buys such as the Australian Hobarts a cost of $4B each AD ship, leaving a cost of the GP version around $1.3B. That is quite comparable to the German ships especially when you account for their limitations, as indicated by Underway above.

We should strive in these fora to avoid the journalists tendency to use whatever figure they like to create effect without attached warnings and strive instead to make sure we compare apples with apples and oranges with oranges.

Hi all, new member here. Anyone have any thoughts on CSC range? It is reputed the RCN is looking for a range similar or better than the Halifax class (7000 nm at 15 kn). I don't know if this is a critical requirement or a nice to have, however. In any case, the only ship that would seem to meet this criteria is the T26, which will supposedly travel in excess of 7000 nm "in Electro-Motor (EM) drive" (no speed indicated). The DZP is reputed to have a range of around 4000 nm at that speed, and the F105 about 4500. Thoughts?

OGBD, I see that you mention the 3 AAD versions of CSC. Is it certain that the RCN will see only 3? You’d think that 4 would make more sense from a T.G., coastal and maintenance POV. I know that HURON was decommissioned due to manning issues, but with each CSC expected to be less personnel intensive, wouldn’t that be mitigated somewhat?

Swampbuggy said:
OGBD, I see that you mention the 3 AAD versions of CSC. Is it certain that the RCN will see only 3?
https://army.ca/forums/threads/90990/post-1515323.html#msg1515323

Just was look in general at renderings.

Is it just appearance or is BAE helicopter deck significantly larger than Alion or Navantia designs?

If I understand correctly the T26 (8000 t full load vs 6391 for Navantia and 6050 for Alion) has a deck designed for a CH-147 (although only a hangar for the CH-148 (12,993 kg MTOW)).  It also has a separate Boat Deck/Flex-Deck /Mission Bay.

The Alion ship is operated by the Dutch with an NH-90 (10,600 kg MTOW)  and the Navantia ship is operated by the Spanish with an SH-60B (9,927 kg MTOW).

Cdn Blackshirt said:
Just was look in general at renderings.

Is it just appearance or is BAE helicopter deck significantly larger than Alion or Navantia designs?

It's probably larger, De Zevin Provincen has a 27m long flight deck  and a beam of 18.8m.  The Navinata bid is based on the F100 which has a 26.4m long flight deck and a beam of 18.6m, so about the same size.

Only measurement I can find for Type 26 is 19m beam.  I assume it's supposed to be a larger flight deck for reason that Chris Pook has already pointed out.

In the RFP process, does the Navy have the right to request bid amendments from individual bidders to address shortcomings that although not disqualifying the design, may make it less than ideal?  Or are they locked in to specifically the design in the original bid made?

Cdn Blackshirt said:
In the RFP process, does the Navy have the right to request bid amendments from individual bidders to address shortcomings that although not disqualifying the design, may make it less than ideal?  Or are they locked in to specifically the design in the original bid made?

There is a mechanic in the process that allows for the government to notify a non-compliant bidder on deficiencies and allow the bid to be modified to meet compliance.  This can be done once from what I have read.

I would suspect that modifying things after a bid has been deemed compliant won't happen until a winner has been selected, and then the normal process for changes in requirements would happen.

Cdn Blackshirt said:

If the bid is compliant but the Navy thinks that it could be done and would like to see more from that bidder, then the answer to your question is no.

If on the other hand, a bid is received that is generally compliant but for one or two (a few) aspects that are non-compliant, either because it was missed or misunderstood, but could be corrected in the view of the Navy/Bid evaluators, there is a process whereby once in the process, this can be pointed out to the bidder and a modified bid can be requested.

For instance, if the RFP calls for a mission bay of at least 100 square meters and two bidders have a bay of 150 meters and the third bidder has exactly 100 meters, there is no process to have that bid reworked because the Navy, seeing it can be accommodated, suddenly prefers 150 meters. Those three bids are compliant and will be evaluated as such.

On the other hand, if that third bidder comes up with a bay that 98 square meters, and the Navy feels they were trying to meet bid requirements but somehow screwed up, they can give that bidder its chance to correct the deficiency.

I believe CSC will follow the "two-step" process, i.e. where PSPC, on behalf of the client Department, will advise bidders when there is a compliance issue that could be based on misunderstanding the stated requirement, or if there is context that can allow a bidder to explain why they thought they were compliant, and to be formally engaged by PSPC to explain the specific point of concern of their proposal.  This is seen more and more often, particularly where ITBs and bidder Value Propositions come into play, vice the classic single-step, Mandatory/Rated Requirement framework where a single non-compliant to a Mandatory, no matter the scale relative to the overall requirement would see a bidder eliminated.

Regards
G2G

BUMP

Hi all, new member here. Anyone have any thoughts on CSC range? It is reputed the RCN is looking for a range similar or better than the Halifax class (7000 nm at 15 kn). I don't know if this is a critical requirement or a nice to have, however. In any case, the only ship that would seem to meet this criteria is the T26, which will supposedly travel in excess of 7000 nm "in Electro-Motor (EM) drive" (no speed indicated). The DZP is said to have a range of around 4000 nm at that speed, and the F105 about 4500. Thoughts?

calculus said:
BUMP

Hi all, new member here. Anyone have any thoughts on CSC range? It is reputed the RCN is looking for a range similar or better than the Halifax class (7000 nm at 15 kn). I don't know if this is a critical requirement or a nice to have, however. In any case, the only ship that would seem to meet this criteria is the T26, which will supposedly travel in excess of 7000 nm "in Electro-Motor (EM) drive" (no speed indicated). The DZP is said to have a range of around 4000 nm at that speed, and the F105 about 4500. Thoughts?

To be fair,DZP has a range of about 5000NM at 18 Kn

https://www.naval-technology.com/projects/dezeven/

whiskey601 said:
full load?

What do you mean ,Whiskey?Range is 5000 NM at 18 Kn,if different at fullfull,doubt it,well,all the other numbers(T-26,F100 etc)are also not correct.

Is there a difference?i wouldn't know to be fair.

Back