• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Surface Combatant RFQ

So naming announcements on Thursday or Friday?
henry fonda cigar GIF

I would have bet on Thursday for major news, so it doesn’t get lost, Friday if the GoC wants it lost.

Short of naming is there any other possible CSC news? Cancellation is unlikely, and cutting the # to me is not likely to get the MMD out to speak.

Outside the RCN, how big an audience is there for ship naming?
Most of the posters on Army.ca

I’m always curious about Sub and Ship names down here, and it seems to have a large following, and given the amount of time since the Tribals and Halifax where done, I’d assume a new surface combatant for the RCN would have a lot of interest

Little if any interest. I wish it was different but it is what it is.
That is fairly depressing to hear. I honestly would have expected a great deal of interest.

Are they officially going to be named Destroyers? I’m still sure someone somewhere in Canada is looking at that name and thinking Cruiser has a much more post nation ring to it. Or Light Cruiser as that sounds even more bland.

Look at the bright side: if this goes like the JSS naming did, there will be a second chance for the announcement, and a second set of names.
I've gotten into a couple of arguments with Canadians who think that since Canada was not a country in 1812, actions in those times have no bearing on our history. I have argued that even events that happened in our section of North America pre contact with Europeans have had a direct effect on the Canada we know today. Heck the Royal Proclamation of 1763 is still cited by Canada's first nations in any negotiations with the crown.

I've gotten into a couple of arguments with Canadians who think that since Canada was not a country in 1812, actions in those times have no bearing on our history. I have argued that even events that happened in our section of North America pre contact with Europeans have had a direct effect on the Canada we know today. Heck the Royal Proclamation of 1763 is still cited by Canada's first nations in any negotiations with the crown.
I think we need a truly Canadian Navy with truly Canadian symbols, so we should replace the executive curl with a Tim Hortons Dutchie.

The UKs ships had some cool names... Vengeance, Victory, Dauntless, Daring.. ect.. and American call signs are just equally awesome.

Canada just makes everything so lame and vanilla. Something so easy and low key can have a metric impact on improved morale and therefore performance.

"I sail on the mf Vengeance!"

"I sale on Summerside, yay!"

Navy's generally name their ships after important events, notable figures, previous vessels, etc. Most of the UK's vessels with such names originally got them in the Age of Sail and have carried them forward through multiple other vessels.

As far as the RCN is concerned, they have been reusing ship names from our own history which is far less storied and long spanning than the RN. Regarding RCN names, many combatants were named after local landmarks like Rivers, Indigenous peoples (Tribes) or most commonly, towns and cities. That helps bridge a connection with the sailors, citizens and the settlement from the vessel itself, although one could likely argue how effective it is.

A lot of Canadians care more about a ship named "Vancouver" instead of "DESTROYER OF WORLDS."

The UKs ships had some cool names... Vengeance, Victory, Dauntless, Daring.. ect.. and American call signs are just equally awesome.

Canada just makes everything so lame and vanilla. Something so easy and low key can have a metric impact on improved morale and therefore performance.

"I sail on the mf Vengeance!"

"I sale on Summerside, yay!"
The RN also had the Flower class corvette, so in the tradition of the CO being called that ship’s name, there was at least one officer called Pansy and Buttercup.

And let’s be honest - if your ship is old and falling apart, calling it HMCS Awesome won’t help.

Back