• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Senate- appointments and discussion

^^^
Wasn’t he the dude who was living in Mexico and never sat in the senate?

No. You're thinking of the "Siesta Senator", Andrew Thompson who inspired Reform Party antics in the halls (back when Parliament had a sense of humour).

Meredith's transgressions inspired nothing but outrage.

I saw that. From what I read, the complaint back then was found to have no merit and was considered “fair comment” since he was critical of First Nations governance and individual leaders, not attacking their race.

Having said that, I didn’t have a problem with his criticism of conservative parties recently, but he had also recently started gushing about Trudeau while trying to maintain his conservative street cred. It felt really weird to me, when even die-hard Liberals were dumping on Trudeau.

I get queasy when I see journalists or even opinion makers get high level political appointments.
Well if you recall an anti Liberal writer from the Sun move to the FP and his tune changed overnight to "Cons bad, Liberals good". A sellout.

Mandatory retirement at age 75. The government has zero power to remove a Senator. There are circumstances in which a Senator can become disqualified, but constitutionally it would be to the Governor General to remove them. In practice, historically they have generally resigned. The Senate can potentially vote themselves to expel someone too.

The Senate may be the hitch in PPs plans then. I bet he's hoping for a sickly season and a bloody war.

Back