• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Naval Centennial

Edward Campbell

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from today’s Globe and Mail is an article About A new Navy monument in Ottawa, being built to commemorate the Naval Centennial in 2010:
--------------------------
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Ottawa+navy+monument/1195677/story.html

Ottawa to get $2M navy monument
NCC expected to OK historic Richmond Landing for memorial in honour of service’s centennial

BY RANDY BOSWELL, THE OTTAWA CITIZEN

JANUARY 20, 2009

OTTAWA — The federal government is set to approve construction of a $2-million monument celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Canadian navy at a storied site in downtown Ottawa, just upstream from Parliament Hill next to the new Canadian War Museum.

The monument, to be built next year in honour of the 1910 beginnings of a Canadian naval force independent of British control, is being developed by the naval branch of the Canadian Forces and the National Capital Commission.

The project was approved in September by the NCC’s board of directors, but neither the design nor location of the planned monument have been disclosed. Further details are expected to be announced Thursday at the NCC’s next public meeting.
But a Canadian Forces document listing activities planned for the navy’s centennial has already revealed that Richmond Landing — the place where, 200 years ago, all Ottawa River boat traffic came ashore — has been chosen as the showcase site.

Paul Seguna, public affairs officer for the Canadian Naval Centennial Project, confirmed Monday that Richmond Landing is the navy’s preferred location for the monument and that the NCC is poised to approve it this week.

Although the monument won’t be completed until 2011, a model is expected to be unveiled at the site on May 4, 2010 — 100 years to the day after the navy’s controversial creation under then-prime minister Sir Wilfrid Laurier.

On the same day, a special centennial ship’s bell is to be presented to the people of Canada at a Parliament Hill ceremony featuring “waters from Canada’s three oceans, the Great Lakes and an area of international maritime operations” collected by Canadian navy ships.

The centennial celebrations will actually begin a year early, kicked off this June with a visit to Vancouver by Prince Edward, the Earl of Wessex, and Countess Sophie.

There, the royals will unveil a ship’s mast commemorating Canada’s navy at Prospect Point in Stanley Park.

In July, the colonial roots of the Canadian navy will be recalled at a ceremony marking the 250th anniversary of the Halifax dockyard.

Having a Conservative federal government presiding over the navy’s centennial celebrations should produce some moments rich with historical irony.

Laurier’s push to create an independent Canadian naval force in 1910 — rather than contribute cash to a pre-First World War buildup of the British navy — was hailed by Liberals at the time as a major advance in Canadian nationhood, but was bitterly opposed by Robert Borden, leader of the opposition Conservatives, who supported a strengthening of ties with the mother country and stronger Canadian support for Britain’s maritime defence.

Quebec nationalists, convinced that any major naval investment by Canada was essentially a gift to the British, also condemned Laurier’s scheme.

The Canadian navy was born with the passage of the Naval Service Act on May 4, 1910, but the controversy surrounding it helped torpedo Laurier’s Liberal government in a 1911 election that saw Borden become prime minister and his Conservative government take Canada into the First World War.

Canwest News Service

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen
-------------------------

Does anyone know exactly where the monument will be? In/around Laroche Park or will it be on the War Museum’s property, close to the bend in Vimy Road?

For more information on the Canadian Navy Centennial.

http://www.navy.forces.gc.ca/centennial/

On 4 May 2009 date, our 99th anniversary as a Canadian navy, TELUS Mobility has introduced and made available free of charge a number of navy ring tones for download for use with their phones.   

These ring tones include:

Pipe the Side (one of the most familiar pipes)
Hands to Dinner (an interesting pipe and would be a great noontime alarm)
Wakey Wakey (for many just for those special morning wake up calls)
Heart of Oak (not yet available but 'to follow')

The ring tone access is from a hidden link -  http://TelusMSF.mqube.us/TelusMobile2/catalogassets.aspx?c=102202797  This address is not a computer web site - it must be keyed into your cellular  to access the ring tones (A shortcut method is being investigated).  These tones will be available for download until the end of May.  Please note,  the TELUS phone must have internet access to the URL to download the ring tone.

These navy ring tones will make great conversation pieces and are an excellent reminder of our 99th anniversary and the exciting centennial program to commemorate, to celebrate and to commit.  Enjoy!

We have now entered our 100th year.  Please pass the word and ring tone. 

Surprising that Telus is even aware of the anniversary, good on them for doing something at the least!

CANADIAN NAVY TO RECEIVE NEW QUEEN’S COLOUR AT PUBLIC EVENT IN JUNE​

HALIFAX – The Canadian Navy will receive a replacement Queen’s Colour on Saturday, June 27th, 2009, at noon at the Garrison Grounds near the Halifax Citadel during a formal parade presided over by Her Excellency, the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of Canada. Also in attendance will be her husband, Mr. Jean-Daniel Lafond.

The event is free. People of all ages are most welcome to join in celebrating the rich naval history of our country, while sending a strong signal of support to the contemporary navy as it undertakes operations around the world. 

This event, formally entitled the “Consecration and Presentation of the Queen’s Colour”, will be a grand spectacle of pageantry, naval traditions and music.

Over 100 members of the massed band of the Navy comprising members from the renowned Stadacona, Naden and Naval Reserve bands will provide the musical backdrop as 400 sailors and officers from across the country march in a display of precision drill and pageantry.  A 21-gun Vice Regal Salute will be fired from the ramparts of the Citadel, while a low fly past of maritime aviation will provide an air element to the event. 

“The Queen’s Colour is a most cherished symbol of the Navy. It receives the utmost respect wherever it is paraded,” said Rear Admiral Paul Maddison, Commander of Maritime Forces Atlantic.  He added, “This ceremony is similar to the changing of the guard seen on Parliament Hill in Ottawa, only much larger and with a distinctive naval flavour as befits the rich sea-going heritage of Canadian cities such as Halifax, Victoria and Québec City.”

The last event of this kind and magnitude occurred at the same location in 1979, when the current Queen’s Colour was consecrated and presented by Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother on behalf of Queen Elizabeth II as tens of thousands of citizens looked on. For Canadian naval officers and sailors, this is a once in a career experience.

More than a flag, The Queen’s Colour is a symbol of respect to military service, representing heroism and honour. Having been proudly displayed for thirty years, the current Queen’s Colour is ready to be retired and replaced by a successor. 

-30-​

The Navy Centennial Bell will be cast in HMC Dockyard at Esquimalt on Wednesday.  The Commanders NAVRES and MARPAC will officiate. 

The Canadian Navy Centennial Bell is a 12-inch bell normally installed in a frigate or destroyer. Weighing about 90-pounds, it will be suitably engraved in celebration of the Canadian Naval Centennial. Adding special meaning and history to the bell is that it is cast from material collected and donated to represent the century of naval service that the bell celebrates. Included amongst the artefacts are navigation tools, cap badges, shell casings, uniform buttons, boatswains call, ship’s fittings and equipment and even flammable items such as pieces of uniform, letters and photographs that will vaporize and add essence with the metal items. The artefacts represent ships, submarines, naval air and the men and women of the entire period from 1910 to 2010.

The bell will be cast by sailors at the Fleet Maintenance Facility Cape Breton Foundry located in HMC Dockyard at Canadian Forces Base Esquimalt in Victoria, during a ceremony on Sept. 30, 2009.  The casting will be polished and engraved by the artisans at the Fleet Maintenance Facility and is will serve as a piece d’art when the Navy celebrates it second century in 2110.

The Bell Rope:  The Bell will be decorated with a colourful rope chosen from amongst several created by sailors across Canada in a national competition.

The Bell Book:  A book will accompany the Centennial Bell to highlight the history of the bell and list the variety of artefacts it is made from. The book will record the participants at the casting and dedication ceremonies, the winner of the bell rope contest, and a description of the events supported by photographs and art.

Navy Waters Collection:  Throughout 2009 Canadian Navy ships and submarines were tasked to collect water from Canada’s three oceans – Atlantic, Pacific, and Arctic, as well the Gulf of St. Lawrence, the Great Lakes, and international theatres of operations.  The water samples reflect the country’s domestic maritime interests and the Navy’s international operations.  On Battle of Atlantic weekend in Halifax (April 30 – May 1, 2010) there will be a ceremony aboard the Second World War Corvette, HMCS SACKVILLE, when the six water samples, symbolic of the navy’s history and missions, will be combined together as a national collection. The combined waters and a video of its collection will be an important aspect of the dedication ceremony in Ottawa on May 4, 2010.

Centennial Bell Ceremony: On the 100th anniversary of the Naval Service Act, May 4, 2010, the bell will be the center piece of a ceremony in Ottawa to rededicate the Navy to the next 100 years of service to Canada.  The bell will be christened with the combined waters and presented to the people of Canada as a gift in perpetuity, and sounded as a promise of loyal service for the next 100 years.  The bell with its rope and book will be a permanent reminder to all Canadians that Canada is a Maritime Nation dependant upon the oceans for our national prosperity

I went to view the Navy Memorial designs.

There are, essentially, two concepts:

1. A long memorial "walkway" that exploits the full length of the peninsula on which the memorial will stand. (Go to Google Earth and enter "Portage Bridge, Ottawa, ON" and then move your mouse until you are at/around 45o25'14.00"N 75o42'38.00"W to see the piece of land.)

2. An oval in the rough centre of the peninsula.

Here is one of the contending designs, one of the long "walkways."

....without a mascot?  In this case, a Newfoundland Sea Dog mascot - this from MERX:
"Nature of Requirements:  Mascots of Newfoundland dogs for the Department of National Defence Navy Centennial are required.

Up to four mascots are to be worn by adult performers wearing fur-like fabrics, cell foam-filled heads, hockey helmets, t-shirts, and baseball caps. The requirement also includes storage bags, cooling vest inserts, maintenance kits, and user guides. Embroidered logos appear on many of the items with artwork provided by the Navy. Delivery is required to 101 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa within 49 calendar days of approval of final sketches and fabrics."

My fave bit of the bid package?  This, from the detailed specs:
"Each mascot will include:
• Complete mascot (as detailed in these specifications)
• Baseball hat (with correct embroidered logos)
• T-Shirt (with correct embroidered logos) and embroidery of all logos and a name embroidered on the back of the shirt (to be provided).
• Custom made waterproof head and body bags for easy transportation, storage and protection of character.
• Basic guide with advice on character maintenance, performing and management (Taking care of the kit, or of the Sea Dog persona?)  ;D
• Basic maintenance kit (includes repair items, basic repair guide and maintenance items)
• Cooling vest with inserts"

Shared with the usual caveats

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/ottawa/Navy+monument+contest+already+making+waves/2057212/story.html

------------------------------------------
Navy monument contest already making waves

Public reacts strongly to final designs

By Robert Sibley, The Ottawa CitizenOctober 2, 2009 10:29 AM

A new national monument in Ottawa honouring the Canadian navy promises to provoke strong public response long before it is unveiled, judging by the reaction of those who attended a public display of proposed designs Thursday.

About 200 people, including many naval personnel, streamed through the government Conference Centre on Rideau Street to view the designs of five "finalists" selected by a National Capital Commission jury as the best of 49 project proposals submitted in a cross-country competition earlier this year.

"The monument ... will help raise a public consciousness that the navy is a truly national institution that has played and continues to play a significant role in the development and security of the country," Vice-Admiral Dean McFadden, head of Maritime Command, told the gathering.

The Canadian navy will mark the centenary of its founding next year. Parliament passed the Naval Services Act on May 4, 1910, bringing the Royal Canadian navy into being. The monument, which will be officially unveiled in May 2011, is to be located at Richmond Landing on the Ottawa River, just below Library and Archives Canada.

Thursday's event was the first time the NCC has invited members of the public to offer their comment on a monument design competition. And comment they did, with reactions ranging from hostile to praiseworthy.

"All designs, unfortunately, reflect the wooly, wooly, washed out philosophy of the federal government and (its) institutions," one critic wrote at a table set up for both specific and general comments. Another person, however, found the five designs all "strong (and) forceful."

The five design teams are headed by well-known Canadian artists and architects: Montreal artist Melvin Charney, perhaps best known, at least in Ottawa, for the Human Rights Monument on Elgin Street; Marlene Hilton-Moore, who designed the popular Valiants Memorial in Confederation Square; Toronto landscape architect David Leinster and artist Allan Harding MacKay; artist Al McWilliams and architect Joost Bakker, both of Vancouver; and artist David Pearl and architect Ian Dance, both of Ontario.

Hilton-Moore's and Charney's proposals seemed to generate the most comment, positive and negative.

"The only project which immediately says 'navy," one respondent wrote about Hilton-Moore's design, which shows what looks like the deck of a ship as it plows through a landscape designed to resemble a tossing sea, with life-size figures on the bridge. Another commentator praised it for its "great public space." Others, however, dismissed it as "unfriendly."

Charney's design is, arguably, the most grandly conceived, with its long walkway, a plaza-like ceremonial "deck," and a Tower of Light beacon that'll be seen from Parliament Hill. "The best one by far," declared one person. Another, though, rejected it as "too stark and impersonal."

--------------------------------------------------------

MARS said:
Shared with the usual caveats

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/ottawa/Navy+monument+contest+already+making+waves/2057212/story.html

------------------------------------------
Navy monument contest already making waves

Public reacts strongly to final designs

Hilton-Moore's and Charney's proposals seemed to generate the most comment, positive and negative.

"The only project which immediately says 'navy," one respondent wrote about Hilton-Moore's design, which shows what looks like the deck of a ship as it plows through a landscape designed to resemble a tossing sea, with life-size figures on the bridge. Another commentator praised it for its "great public space." Others, however, dismissed it as "unfriendly."

Charney's design is, arguably, the most grandly conceived, with its long walkway, a plaza-like ceremonial "deck," and a Tower of Light beacon that'll be seen from Parliament Hill. "The best one by far," declared one person. Another, though, rejected it as "too stark and impersonal."

--------------------------------------------------------

The Hilton-Moore design is the first of the pictures I posted above and the Charney design is the third.

I went to the CNC website and was interested in finding out more about the commemorative items available in CANEX and online. I was impressed with the offerings available online and wanted to see them for myself before purchasing any.

Fortunately, this CANEX has CNC items for sale. I want to hear others opinions on some of these items? I am disappointed in many of the clothing items with the CNC silk screen design, vice the embroidered design. There are too few CNC clothing items that interest me with what I prefer (embroidered).

I was not sure if I should start a new thread or post this question here.

To tell you the truth I wasn't very impressed with the commemorative items offerings at all, they look cheap and tacky. I really didn't like the logo either. I can't seeing buying anything except for the commemorative book.

Though a HUGE proponent of Naval History, I have a hard time justifying $80 for a golf shirt. Somebody took us for a ride here. Ships can get high quality shirts with not only the ships crest and Mess embroidered on the chest but your name (optional) on a sleeve as well for half this amount. Maybe, some of the profits are going to support SACKVILLE's potential new home in a revamped Maritime Museum of the Atlantic??? I like to think that anyway but suspect more that it is likely greed on the part of someone up the procurement food chain. As for the design, no, not the best in my opinion either but it is the Centennial design and will not be changed.

Pat in Halifax said:
Though a HUGE proponent of Naval History, I have a hard time justifying $80 for a golf shirt. Somebody took us for a ride here. Ships can get high quality shirts with not only the ships crest and Mess embroidered on the chest but your name (optional) on a sleeve as well for half this amount. Maybe, some of the profits are going to support SACKVILLE's potential new home in a revamped Maritime Museum of the Atlantic??? I like to think that anyway but suspect more that it is likely greed on the part of someone up the procurement food chain. As for the design, no, not the best in my opinion either but it is the Centennial design and will not be changed.

Agreed. Maybe if they have produced a decent technical t-shirt, I'd pick one up, but I've certainly got enough polos to last me a decade or two.

I'll probably pick up a copy of Salty Dips vol 9, and maybe one of the car magnet packs. Other than that, there's nothing there that really interests me. Unless someone wants to foot the bill for one of those swords for me? :)

No... ? Anyone ... ?

Dang.

I want to chime in, too. I am disappointed with both the range and price of souveniers.

I have some family interest in the Navy (father and son serving from circa 1925 to the present - not continuously!) so I would like to help "celebrate," but not at any price.

I suggest you don't trouble yourself too much with the swag.  If you do want to "celebrate", I do suggest you do so by attending the public parades and events in Ottawa - Freedom of the City, public dedications et al.  I can find out from CARLETON what they have planned in addition to the national events.  I think that, for those of us who are still serving and for the retired vets, we do appreciate seeing lots of spectators.  That is certainly the case here in Toronto where our parades tend to go largely unnoticed, despite our media releases.  bring your friends too...if you guys can pry yourselves away from the bar for long enough ;)

Back