• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Icons

How about this one............

Marching with the "Old Comrades" on a rainy and windy November 11th, the whole regiment swinging in step, up University Avenue to the cenotaph, knowing that they are "sizing up the youngsters" to see if that are continuing the traditons that have been established in the past 103 years of service?

Or sitting in on a "smoker" at the annual ranges shoot, watching the guys from WW2, who are watching themselves on the screen, as the NFB‘s 16 part newsreel series, "Canada At War" is being shown, and they point out themselves, on the screen, in Italy, France, or Holland? Listening to them tell stories about the things they did to stay alive, and those who "didn‘t make it back home".

That is "Canadian History " right from the men who lived it.

Flying into Ottawa at night for my leave from Bosnia a few weeks ago...I saw something that made me actually have a lump in my throat.

Just to set this up properly I was in theater at that time for 2.5 close to 3 months and was getting a bit used to the local scenery.

-Bombed out houses, burned out cars from years past. Buildings that still have the bullet holes in them, and people STILL live in them.

-Stood at the site where a good friend of mine died in 98. Laid a wreath on his monument for all the guys who knew him for Rememberance Day.

-Drove past the same monument day in and day out for weeks on end...even to go to the airport for my flight home.

Flying into Ottawa I remenised a bit...looking out the window as we made our approach...I saw something....

The Parliment buildings and the Peace Tower with our flag lit up for the world to see...

That is my icon of what Canada is.

Regards

Come on. No one has mentioned Pierre Berton,
How about Neil, Geddy & Alex thats right Rush.
or for that matter Triumph, Lighthouse, 5 Man Electrical Band, Ian Thomas, Copperpenny, Some great Canadian Bands. MY GOD I‘M OLD!!!!!!

Diefenbaker?? He was the begining of the military budget cuts!

I‘d say beavers, maple syrup, flanel shirts, lumberjacks with a french accent, racoon-tail fur hats, good-looking flag, Mounties, clean cities, RAM tanks, Newfoundland and Salt & Vinnegar flavoured chips.

Hey, what about our American cousins? What do we think of when they are mentioned?

Id say

Desert Camo
Reality TV
French Fries
Colorful door-mats
Eagle
Firearms

American Icons you ask?
Lorne Micheals
Lorne Greene
Neil Young
Paul Anka
Dan Akaroyd
Peter Jennings
Jim Carrey
Paul Schaffer
Robert Goulet
Mac Sennett & Louis B Mayer ( Film Pioneers )
Martin Short
Denny Dogherty ( singer Mamas & the Papas )
( God I am old )
So What do all these US Citizens have in common?
:cool:

--Quote------
French Fries
-------------

You mean Freedom Fries. :dontpanic:

I find it interesting that a discussion about Canadian icons turns inevitably into a comparison with the Yanks. Can‘t we just muse on our icons without having to gravitate towards a pissing contest with them?

Kurggan,
I included Diefenbaker as during his years the Canadian Bill of Rights was put through. Just about every PM was guilty of slashing military spending.

What about Rita MacNeil? lol

Or the singing coal miners "The men from the deep"

S_Baker,
You might be onto something. I keep getting spam e-mail letting me know that my stink hammer is not big enough. They keep offering pills that will add i-n-c-h-e-s!!! to it.

Envy? I wouldn‘t say that. Just an observation followed by a thought. My euphemism was intended to avoid a ballistical competition involving biological weapons. (Wouldn‘t want to denigrate ourselves and face the consequences of utilizing WMD‘s) The focus was directed towards the impact such a contest would have upon our two great nations relations; and yet in keeping with character, our cousin to the south is suggesting that our tools of choice in this matter may not be up to the task at hand. :D

well for canadian icons i would say the big tim, that huge coffee mug at tim hortons, first time i saw that i had a good laugh

3 points
-RUSH is one of the most widely known Canadian Bands, and by far one of the best, and their touring again this year

-In Fort McMurray we have a Defienbaker Cres. and property values are 25% lower on that street than any other in town

-As for the Meat Stick Envy, It only looks small in the cold Baker, and ya gotta know were better equipped cause in the cold you need more to breed ;)

True Patriot Love

side_nav_pic.jpg

Back