• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces University Program (CFUP) CANCELLED

Here is the information I have on the subject for a "good source":

The Funding that was previously provided to the Univeristies such as UofM and Teluc is being expanded to all Universities - not just the select few that have been funded in the past.

Although the CFUP program has been terminated, the letter fails to mention that new progams will be stood up in it's place with many more options at many more institutions across Canada.

This is all I can say about it for now - but as more information becomes "public knowledge" I will post.

muffin

Most universities offer distance education opportunities and some, like Athabaska University in Alberta offering exclusively distance education.  We have come a long way since 1974 and perhaps a change is long overdue.

Gunner said:
Most universities offer distance education opportunities....

Yes, but few, if any, universities offer credit for military courses. After doing night-school/correspondence to finish off my high school, I got into the University of Manitoba CFUP. Having about a year ( +/- ) of university written off for prior training made the BA seem a more attainable goal. I can't see some universities like Queen's, Toronto or McGill giving gredit for PLQ - - protesting a G8 summit, throwing eggs at a US consulate, wearing Che Guevara t-shirts, sure...but military courses, doubtful.

Journeyman said:
Yes, but few, if any, universities offer credit for military courses.

Hey JM - DCS still gives credit for Military courses :)
muffin

Maggie!  Dammit girl, stop interrupting my rant with mere FACTS!

...besides, we were talking about real universities, not RMC  ;)

Besides, no matter what university you are going for, get RMC to do a PLAR (prior learning assesment) for your courses/training, get them to put on paper what they are worth and how many credits they are granting you. Use that transcript for transfer credits to whatever degree you are getting from where ever. Not all places will (St. FX gave me a big fat ZERO for advance credits, but Dalhousie and U of A both gave me 7). RMC gave me 11 credits from the PLAR toward a BA here......so here I am.
Some of the new programs for initial degree sound good, but only rumour here as well. I'll keep my ear to the ground.

Gunner said:
Most universities offer distance education opportunities and some, like Athabaska University in Alberta offering exclusively distance education.  We have come a long way since 1974 and perhaps a change is long overdue.

While this may be true, the service offered by CFUP went "above and beyond";

1) On the bus to Wainwright, after an early morning bugout "Hello, this is GO!!!, I need to push my final exam date back two weeks - I have to fight the Grenobians" CFUP: "No problem, we will arrange a new date with your PSO's office"

2) After a tasking was unexpectedly extended "Hello, I'm Mrs. GO!!!, My husband wants an extension on assignment number three due to unforseen military circumstances" CFUP: "We'll put in the request for him to his professor, and send you a note authorising a fourteen day extension, which he can send in with his cover sheet"

3) Sitting in a trench on the south side of Kandahar AF in 2002 "Hey GO!!!, you got a letter!" Me: "Sweet! a refund cheque for the full amount of my tuition for the semester I had to pull out of, and a mark of "W", even though I was within two weeks of writing the exam!"

Athabaska and RMC are significantly more expensive than U of M, and there is a certain stigma attached to such narrow institutions. My U of M degree will say nothing but my program and BA, while Athabaska's would say Distance learning, and RMC's would be, well, an RMC degree.

Service like this does not exist anywhere else, and university Dist. Ed. departments will not sympathise with the above scenarios the way CFUP did.

Also, you may have noticed that the letter I posted was from the U of M. The military side of CFUP and the CF has not seen fit to inform anyone of this change, and no replacement has been named, less than three weeks from the end of CFUP's tenure.

There is no replacement for CFUP yet, and I have no reason to believe that there will be in the near future. The U of M will undoubtedly maintain a high level of service, but the DND's lack of support for this program is appalling. We are now the only military in the western world without a university program for enlisted men. Yay for us.

Now prospective troops get to find out that the claims made in the recruiting commercials are not quite false, but definately misleading!

We shall see. Most distance education are quite flexible (certainly RMC is) when it comes to the extingencies of the service.  I suppose it could be RMC and U of M were after the same student base and it doesn't make sense to have duplicate services.

Anyone have any real information on this change other than the perceived reasons to dick soldiers around?

Good day all,

I am the Canadian Forces Continuing Education Program National Coordinator (CFCEP Nat’l Coord), I am located at the Canadian Defence Academy (CDA) in Kingston, Ontario.  I have read the discussions about the CFUP that have been taking  place on this Forum.  In my capacity as the National Coordinator, I would like to pass on some information about this program.  A CANFORGEN will be released shortly to inform the CF members of the changes in the delivery of Educational Services.

In the meantime, I will provide the basic information which you may disseminate at will.  A bit of history, University of Manitoba, provided under various contracts for a period of 31 years, outstanding educational services.  Télé-université provided similar services in French, also under various contracts for a period of 17 years.  They have not been set aside, but rather these contracts are ending on 31 Mar 06. As these contracts could not be renewed they had to be re-competed.  A contract with revised requirements will be tendered via competition.

CFUP is not an academic program or a program of study.  It is the name on the contract which is being used to identify a liaison office.

The Program in itself has not been cancelled, members will continue to have access to education services.  The services listed in the DAOD 5031-5 will continue to be provided.  CF members can access education reimbursement based on eligibility criteria.  You are encouraged to visit the CDA Web Site http://www.cda.forces.gc.ca/er/engraph/mss/mss underscore e.asp or consult with your local PSO for more information on CFCEP initiatives and on education reimbursement and related procedures.

Fernande Whitfield
CFCEP National Coordinator
Canadian Defence Academy
P.O. Box 17000, Station Forces
Kingston, Ont  K7K 7B4
613-541-5010 (3977) É
271-3977 (CSN)
613-541-6908 (Fax) Ê
whitfield.ft@forces.gc.ca

Ms. Whitfield,
Welcome to army.ca and thank you for posting the 'right" stuff.
Hope you plan on sticking around.
Bruce

CFCEP National Coordinato said:
In the meantime, I will provide the basic information which you may disseminate at will.  A bit of history, University of Manitoba, provided under various contracts for a period of 31 years, outstanding educational services.  Télé-université provided similar services in French, also under various contracts for a period of 17 years.  They have not been set aside, but rather these contracts are ending on 31 Mar 06. As these contracts could not be renewed they had to be re-competed.  A contract with revised requirements will be tendered via competition.

Fernande,

Thank you for your informative post, but I have a few questions for you.

1) Why, given the  "outstanding services", would a contractor have their contract terminated? Why could their contract not be renewed?

2) How long will the lapse in service be?

3) You mentioned "revised requirements". Which requirements and why, and how did you reach these conclusions?

(I ask because in my five years of using CFUP through the U of M, I was never asked by the CF, CFCEP or any other division of the DND how the program could be improved, while the U of M solicited critiques and suggestions after every course, and acted on them)

Thank you in advance for what I'm sure will be informative answers, because right now, I (and at least a dozen other troops I know who use CFUP through the U oF M) am deeply sceptical of the cancellation of a contract that was, by all accounts, outstanding in it's support of those who used it.

GO!!!

Good day all:

As I have said in my previous correspondance, the contract has not been cancelled - it is ending.  Contracting policies are so that an extension was not feasible.  Our focus, as stated in DAOD 5031-5, is still on promoting continuing education for the CF members.

A new Request for Proposal is on MERX should you be interested in reading it.  I cannot speculate as to how long this competition process will take.

Hope this answers your questions.  Feel free to contact your local PSO should you require help with your continued educational needs.

Fernande Whitfield
CFCEP National Coordinator
Canadian Defence Academy
P.O. Box 17000, Station Forces
Kingston, Ont  K7K 7B4
613-541-5010 (3977) É
271-3977 (CSN)
613-541-6908 (Fax) Ê
whitfield.ft@forces.gc.ca

My take is with the sponsorship and other contracting scandals the contracting rules are being enforced more. This has resulted in less flexibility and contracts are ending with no replacement resulting in interruptions. The work to create a new program and it's contracts is considerable and if it comes in late the old contracts would be extended. Thats no longer the case and several contracts have ended without replacements as a result.

The process of creating the contracts, bidding and selecting a winner usually takes two years for a new program. If they are already on MERX then depending on who submits bids, who is found compliant and who is awarded the contract plus any appeals it will be another 6 months to a year before it's awarded and running.

DBA,

Thank you for your informative post.

If anyone else feels qualified to answer the three questions I listed above, please feel free, as Ms. Whitfield is apparently uninterested.

GO!!!

as Ms. Whitfield is apparently uninterested.

Perhaps her only source of questions isn't you, on an internet message board....

or... maybe she doesn't come into the office on the weekends...

Honey and vinegar, and all that, GO!!

Well,

Considering that my member of parliament has also been unable to get any answers, although he has been thouroughly briefed, I have to wonder....

Back