• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]

I personally find it easiest to just construct a simple equation and solve for number of soldiers.

x - number of soldiers
(4/5)x - number of sailors
number of soldiers + number of sailors = 27

Therefore:

x + (4/5)x = 27
(9/5)x = 27
9x = 135
x = 15 (soldiers)

Journeyman said:
The correct answer, by the way, is "the required number of soldiers will be in the group, because who really cares about the Navy."  You'll notice they didn't even bother asking about the Air Force.

You could just as easily infer that it takes 5 soldiers to do the work of 4 sailors.  >:D

ModlrMike said:
You could just as easily infer that it takes 5 soldiers to do the work of 4 sailors.  >:D
I could.....but it's not likely that I would.  ;)

ModlrMike said:

Or infer that it takes one soldier to do the job, and four to correct the errors made by the four sailors.

dapaterson said:
Or infer that it takes one soldier to do the job, and four to correct the errors made by the four sailors.

One storeman/driver.
One tasked to operate the canteen.
Two on HTLA.
Two tasked to the kitchen for the week.
Two tasked by the Sergeant Major to paint rocks and straighten the signs in the parking area (again).
Two on sick parade (again).
One at the Orderly Room, trying to sort out his HTLA claim from last week.
One at the QM, trying to exchange a pair of boots acquired on a medical chit that didn't fit right after al.
One stuck in traffic because he went to "help" the storeman/driver.
The other eight of the sailors went sliders.

Leaving six soldiers to complete the task, which they did early because the sailors, the canteen queen and the MIR commandos were out of the way.  >:D

I can understand why someone would want to know the minimum scores, but the only good it would serve you is to have a big sigh during the test when you thought you had enough right.  You need every point possible.  The CFAT score is big in calculating your overall score used for the Merit list.  Some people pass but are told they Need to do a rewrite in order to be competitive for certain jobs (PILOT, sometime INFMN when there are not many spots). So don't assume a bare Pass is enough to carry onto successful completion.

Gunshark said:
I personally find it easiest to just construct a simple equation and solve for number of soldiers.

x - number of soldiers
(4/5)x - number of sailors
number of soldiers + number of sailors = 27

Therefore:

x + (4/5)x = 27
(9/5)x = 27
9x = 135
x = 15 (soldiers)

That's exactly the way this type of question is supposed to be done.

More math to exercise your brain:
2+3X5=?

6-1X5=?

5-5X3=?

I'm bored.

1+6X2+2-3X5=?

6x^2 dx
∫  --------------------  =  ?
    (2x^3 + 7)^3/2

Take the example test with a grain of salt. Study everything from basic math, fractions, area and perimeter. Know your volumes and mass.
The actual cfat is actually pretty tough.
The example test is just that, an example.
it is nothing at all like the real thing

Ducam said:
Take the example test with a grain of salt. Study everything from basic math, fractions, area and perimeter. Know your volumes and mass.
The actual cfat is actually pretty tough.
The example test is just that, an example.
it is nothing at all like the real thing

Quoted for truth.  My group had 6/10 fail the test.  It's tough so prepare yourself adequately! Also, go read some good shakespear and pickup the meaning of a bunch of words you've never heard or seen ever in your entire life before. Could be handy.

Noctis said:
My group had 6/10 fail the test.

I wouldn't use this as an indicator of how difficult or easy the CFAT is. The next batch of ten applicants could have a 100% success rate, then the following could be 10%. If your group consisted of 1000 people, and only 600 passed, then you could base the difficulty off of that fact. Ten people just isn't enough to determine the difficulty.

SeR said:
I wouldn't use this as an indicator of how difficult or easy the CFAT is. The next batch of ten applicants could have a 100% success rate, then the following could be 10%. If your group consisted of 1000 people, and only 600 passed, then you could base the difficulty off of that fact. Ten people just isn't enough to determine the difficulty.

My post was only intended to motivate him to prepare properly for the CFAT. I'm not trying to paint with a broad brush at all, sorry if it came accross that way. I'm well aware that using a sample of ten people is by no means statistically significant.

SeR said:

A lesson in statistics.  Yes, a small sample size yet he made his point.

Good day all
I have been out of school for sometime now and was wondering what type of math you all recomend I refresh my head with so that the cfat doesnt kick my butt. thanks in advance. And also I am sorry if this has been asked 1 zillion times to the power of 4 divided by 9 minus 2 multiplied by 7 times......lol        ???

Take a look at this practice test http://cdn.forces.ca/_PDF2010/preparing_for_aptitude_test_en.pdf

The maths are pretty the same in the CFAT

Back