• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Can you Join the Military with braces

owens8085

Inactive
Reaction score
I am getting braces currently and i will still have them on when i apply for the military. i plan on paying for them with my own money.  Will my application to the military be hindered or not allowed with braces.

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/corporate/policies-standards/medical-standards-military-occupations/dental-enrolment-standards.html

Chapter 5 - Dental Enrolment Standards and Dental Condition on Enrolment

5.  The following conditions may result in rejection of an applicant or deferral of enrolment until the condition is corrected:

a.  an unrepaired cleft lip and/or palate;
b.  acute or chronic temporomandibular joint dysfunction and severe limitations of jaw opening which require immediate treatment and/or continual follow-up treatment;
c.  a malignant lesion that requires long term therapy; and
d.  abnormal maxillofacial skeletal relationship which compromises functional ability and interferes with the ability to perform military duties, for example the inability to wear a respirator or retain a diving regulator.

6.  The following conditions will result in deferral of enrolment until the condition is corrected:

a.  edentulous with no satisfactory denture replacement;
b.  any pathological lesion or condition which could be exacerbated while on normal military duty; and
c.  the active phase of orthodontic treatment, if such treatment is required to treat an underlying functional disability/medical condition. If orthodontic treatment is not required to treat an underlying functional disability/medical condition, enrolment may proceed if the applicant signs the Statement of Understanding on orthodontic treatment which is found in the Recruiter's Handbook, Annex D to Chapter 2.

Is that new? I joined early 2000s in the a PRes, just had to sign a waiver that DND wasn't responsible for the costs of the ongoing treatment.

Oh, I just read the whole thing and the last para was my scenario... costs nothing to pay attention I guess.

Thank you so much. so to my understanding you can join if you are receiving orthodontic treatment that is mainly cosmetic and you sign a form saying the military is not responsible?

As long as your ability to pull the pin from a grenade with your teeth is not impaired ...

owens8085 said:
Thank you so much. so to my understanding you can join if you are receiving orthodontic treatment that is mainly cosmetic and you sign a form saying the military is not responsible?
Yes, the military is not responsible in any way. Also keep in mind that you won't be able to get time off for adjustments when on course etc so, until you hit your first posting your orthodontic treatment is going to be put on hold.

If you haven't talked to your orthodontist about this, you probably should. I know this subject is always a concern for parents whose children need braces, sometimes tough decisions have to be made.

Back