• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

C7 weapon drills

Greywolf

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find online copies of the drills for the C7 rifle?  (function test, drills for stoppages...)

Edit: replaced broken links with a working one: http://www.scribd.com/doc/9213612/BGL385001-the-Rifle-556mm-C7-and-the-Carbine-556mm-C8

it's kinda worrying that the army electronic library is accessible to anyone with internet access.....

I figure people a lot higher, and hopefully smarter, than me have looked at this issue in it's entirety. If they see no problem with it, I'm not going to second guess them. I'll suggest everything there can be gotten elswhere if you looked or asked. Yeah, it kinda makes you think WTF, but it's better than driving across town hoping someone on Cl B is in and has access to the Pam Library.

Cock the weapon, place on safe, squeeze the trigger. Weapon should not fire
Cock, place on R, squeeze triggerand hold it back. Weapon should fire. When you release the trigger an audible click should be heard
Place on A, Hold trigger back and cock weapon three or four times....should action ok. When you release the trigger, no click should be heard.

If weapon fails any tests, do not live fire it. Take to wpns techs for insp.

it's kinda worrying that the army electronic library is accessible to anyone with internet access.....

Why? It was a perfect disinformation campaign against the Soviets and the Warsaw Pact. We wrote perfectly sound doctrine but never used it in training...

It will work again with terrorists and enemies of Canada!  ;D

Seriously, even if you have all the tactical publications of the CF, it does not help any adversary know exactly what Platoon X will do in Situation Y.  They probably have better feedback direct from the bad guys in contact than they do through our pubs.  As far as the weapon pubs are concerned, they can find the manufacturer's specs on any site and most of the small arms forums give them more info than our pubs would.  In this case, access by the people who need the info is more important than the negligible gain some bad guy can get from them.

Cheers,

Gasplug  :salute:

Gasplug said:
Seriously, even if you have all the tactical publications of the CF, it does not help any adversary know exactly what Platoon X will do in Situation Y.  

Agreed, placing this material online doesnt constitute a threat to serving members, thats why its unclassified and open to viewing...     

Gasplug said:
Why? It was a perfect disinformation campaign against the Soviets and the Warsaw Pact. We wrote perfectly sound doctrine but never used it in training...

It will work again with terrorists and enemies of Canada!  ;D

Hahahahaha!  My favorite post of the day!!!!!!

OldSolduer said:
**** the weapon, place on safe, squeeze the trigger. Weapon should not fire
****, place on R, squeeze triggerand hold it back. Weapon should fire. When you release the trigger an audible click should be heard
Place on A, Hold trigger back and **** weapon three or four times....should action ok. When you release the trigger, no click should be heard.

If weapon fails any tests, do not live fire it. Take to wpns techs for insp.

Hehe. He said "****". ;D

FWIW, I am the current OIC of Small Arms and Soldier Systems at the Infantry School, and clearing up a bit of the confusion with C7 drills is on my "to do" list.  I certainly am not the guy in charge of how it should be, but my predecessor identified the conflict between the two drills we are teaching to remedy stoppages.  I witnessed this first hand and had troops asking "Well if we get it taught this way and this way, what do we do?".

Petamocto said:
FWIW, I am the current OIC of Small Arms and Soldier Systems at the Infantry School, and clearing up a bit of the confusion with C7 drills is on my "to do" list.  I certainly am not the guy in charge of how it should be, but my predecessor identified the conflict between the two drills we are teaching to remedy stoppages.  I witnessed this first hand and had troops asking "Well if we get it taught this way and this way, what do we do?".

What are the conflicting drills?

daftandbarmy said:
What are the conflicting drills?

I will speculate that he is speaking of the standard drills taught on BMQ and the gunfighter style "Tap Rack and Shoot" method taught on more advanced training. Those are the two I've seen, but there is no conflict in my mind about which I would use.  ;)

I stand to be corrected.

I am deffo the last guy to comment with authority on this topic, but 'rap, rack and go' looks like it's pretty much the same as a normal IA drill a la 'rounds in the magazine, no rounds in the chamber' (although cool wrap arounds and a SF battle beanie are likely mandatory for the former  ;D).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBZZwsDywBA

Tap, Rack, and Bang is an evolution on the American IA: SPORTS.

Slap - the the bottom of the mag
Pull - the charging handle to the rear
Observe - the chamber
Release - the charging handle
Tap - the forward assist
Squeeze - the trigger

The idea is that after you become familiar with the weapon, you'll feel the recoil of an empty mag stoppage and respond appropriately. If you feel a loose mag or obstruction then you can react with SPORTs without bothering to observe the chamber and tap the forward assist: just Tap, Rack, Bang.

There are a few cases where Tap, Rack, Bang will make the obstruction worse, but I'm not a good enough shooter to comment on those particular situations.  I do know that for those who are good enough with the weapon to recognise the recoil on an empty mag stoppage, TapRackBang will sort out 90% of everything else.

Of course, "Tap, Rack, Go!" is nowhere to be found in B-GL-385-001-PT-001, so, the translation is
"Tap.  CockFire."  Of course, remember, kids, the IA isnt' complete until you start shooting again!

:salute:

(Yes, I realise that the UOIC teached "Tap!  Rack!  Go!")

If you have to stop and think about a stoppage, you are not proficient with your weapon.

It should be second nature to react to a stoppage - and you should know the feeling of an empty mag vice the other stoppages and be able to react immediately.

Look, cock, cant for anything other than an empty mag.  And as stated, the IA isn't clear until rounds have resumed going downrange.

Neither IA methods helped me recently... I had to use the third 'undocumented' Immediate action... "Cant the weapon and curse loudly".

Recently on a PWT 3 shoot, while just starting to shoot at the 300 meter mark, the little pin which holds the buffer spring in the stock decided to attempt a jailbreak (and was very successful I might add).  The resulting effect was a rather nasty double feed.  No amount of shaking or "love taps" would remove those two rounds.

Thank god for the issued Gerber though, with an exceptional amount of cursing, finally managed to rip out (ahem, I mean dislodge) the outermost round and drop the other out the mag well at the 200 meter mark but then of course had to move to the next before even getting a shot off.

After that little incident, my Gerber just became part of my IA's, 'tap, rack and rip!"

Back