• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Budget 2007- Merged

From wikipedia, circa 2010:

What ultimately undid Turner's Dion's political career was his unyielding, yet seemingly insincere, stance on the Free Trade Kyoto Agreement.

Update: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070321/comuzzi_caucus_0700321/20070321?hub=TopStories
Comuzzi expelled from Liberal caucus over budget

Updated Wed. Mar. 21 2007 2:51 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Divisions over the federal budget have claimed their first casualty. Former cabinet minister Joe Comuzzi has been expelled from the Liberal caucus for supporting the Conservative fiscal plan.  ...

Comuzzi, a 73-year-old veteran MP for Thunder Bay, said the budget was important for his riding.

"It's for a single issue that's of absolute critical importance to all the people in Thunder Bay and northwestern Ontario, and that's the cancer research centre ... and hopefully it's going to be funded in this budget," he told CTV Newsnet's Mike Duffy Live on Tuesday.

The centre would bring 300 jobs to the struggling city on the shores of Lake Superior. "To vote against it, every citizen in Thunder Bay would be tremendously upset with me," Comuzzi said.  ...

Comuzzi will now sit as an Independent. He had already announced that he won't seek re-election.

While the Bloc Quebecois has announced it will support the budget, ensuring its passage, Conservatives are not expected to get a lot of other support from the rest of the opposition.

The NDP and Liberals are pressing for changes to the government's fiscal package. Some MPs admit that voting down the budget would not sit well with constituents.

Commentators claim that some Quebec Liberal MPs are uneasy about voting against the budget.

They are pleased with a $2.2-billion transfer payment windfall -- that Liberal Premier Jean Charest has already earmarked for tax cuts. ...

GAP said:
Constitutional change is the only way it could be changed short of boxing up 1/2 of Ontario's and Quebec's population and resettling them throughout the rest of Canada.

Aside from Milton Ontario I believe this is all ready occurring. Go west youngman! According to the latest Stats Canada information just released last week.

"We" apparently paid for a tax cut in Quebec; the Premier announced the $2 billion or so he is getting from the ROC will be used to deliver tax cuts at the provincial level.........

You could depopulate Quebec and settle her people anywhere, but unless and until seats are reapportioned or created to reflect the change in the population, they still hold the balance of power.

3rd Herd said:
Aside from Milton Ontario I believe this is all ready occurring. Go west youngman! According to the latest Stats Canada information just released last week.

Doesn't hurt that Alberta's got more jobs than workers right now, the timmy's my little sister works at in Calgary closes the doors at 19:00 because they can't staff the place

Tories enjoy post-budget bounce in support: poll
Updated Fri. Mar. 23 2007 12:19 AM ET CTV.ca News Staff
Article Link

The federal Conservatives got the budget boost they were hoping for, putting them on the cusp of a majority if an election were to be held today, latest poll numbers suggest.

Taken between March 20 and 21 following Monday's budget address, the Strategic Counsel survey for CTV News and The Globe and Mail asked: How would Canadians vote today?

39 per cent said they would vote for a Conservative candidate.
31 per cent chose Liberal.

That puts the Conservatives three percentage-points higher compared with pre-budget polling numbers, while their lead over the static Liberals stretched from five to eight percentage points over that period.

Numbers for the NDP (13% from 15%), Bloc Quebecois (8% from 9%) and the Green Party (9% from 10%) were all down slightly compared to the last Strategic Counsel poll, taken one week before the budget was unveiled.

Pollster Allan Gregg says the Conservative Party's steadily-improving fortunes seem to be a reflection of its "steady, balanced approach to new initiatives."

"There's been a steady increase in Conservative support in this entire calendar year -- an eight-point climb from 31 per cent in January to 39 per cent now. And for the first time really since the summer of 2006 they are tied in Ontario with the Liberals" at 40 per cent, Gregg told CTV.ca.

More on link

Nova Scotia and NFL got royally you know what, I can see alot of people turning their backs on the Provincial and Federal Cons.  Reading the editorials in the local rag that are full of anger and rage. I'm so disguested with Harper I can  hardly say his name, it's clear under the Conservatives Atlantic Canada is to be shunned and mocked while Quebec is pandered to and handed cash hand over fist.  I understand the Cons had to buy votes in Quebec, but not at our expense. We won't forget his betrayal of the Off Shore Accord, it's Lian Brian all over again for us in the East.

Sassy said:
Nova Scotia and NFL got royally you know what, I can see alot of people turning their backs on the Provincial and Federal Cons.  Reading the editorials in the local rag that are full of anger and rage. I'm so disguested with Harper I can  hardly say his name, it's clear under the Conservatives Atlantic Canada is to be shunned and mocked while Quebec is pandered to and handed cash hand over fist.  I understand the Cons had to buy votes in Quebec, but not at our expense. We won't forget his betrayal of the Off Shore Accord, it's Lian Brian all over again for us in the East.

Newfoundland didn't get screwed.  Let me ask you this.  Why should a now "have" province like Newfoundland receive more transfer payments than it gives?  That's not fair and is contrary to the whole idea of the transfer payment system.

Med.Tech said:
Newfoundland didn't get screwed.  Let me ask you this.  Why should a now "have" province like Newfoundland receive more transfer payments than it gives?  That's not fair and is contrary to the whole idea of the transfer payment system.

Absolutely.  NFLD, N.S. and Sask were trying to have their cake and eat it too.  The agreement with Paul Martin's Liberals was an act of desperation by that flacid government to try and bolster the Liberal party in the election and nothing more.  I'm glad PM Harper and his government are not afraid to take unpopular steps like this and the income trust reversal in order to ensure the economic health of the country.

Latest federal budget has few military bucks
By SCOTT TAYLOR On Target
Article Link

LAST MONDAY, the Conservative government tabled its second federal budget. With the Liberal party virtually adrift and rudderless under the new captaincy of Stephane Dion, Prime Minister Stephen Harper knows the time is ripe for a quick election, which could result in a Tory majority.

Consequentally, this latest budget contained a substantial number of vote-buying spending initiatives spread across a wide range of the special interest group spectrum.

Of particular substance was the millions of dollars transferred to Quebec in hopes of propelling Premier Jean Charest’s provincial Liberal party to another victory over the separatists.

In the past, such pandering to Quebec would have — and did — alienate the Conservative party’s western Canadian core membership. However, with Alberta awash in oil profits and no other right-of-centre option on the horizon, Harper and his strategists can expect to keep their voter base regardless of any disillusionment caused by the budget.

Despite the fact the Canadian soldier was named newsmaker of the year in 2006 as a result of the high-profile mission to Afghanistan, the latest budget contained virtually no new defence initiatives. The reason for this is that the Conservatives already allocated sizable increases to the military funding with their Canada First, five-year graduated plan, announced in last year’s budget.

As part of that massive reinvestment program, five major procurement projects were announced last summer for new supply ships, transport trucks, strategic airlift, transport planes and heavy-lift helicopters, totalling some $17 billion in military purchases. After such major announcements, the few lines dedicated to the defence portion of this year’s budget seem hardly worth noting.

The largest dollar figure entry announced was the accelerated implementation of their Canada First budget increases to the tune of $175 million. In layman’s terms, this means the Defence Department will use up that extra money this year to cover the cost of ongoing operations rather than spend it in the fiscal year of 2009-10.

Confused yet? In the original estimates tabled last year, Defence Department was scheduled to receive a $700-million boost to their bottom line for the 2007-08 fiscal year. The $175-million advance from next year’s planned increase is in addition to that $700 million.

In addition to this spending, the government did announce a couple of other relatively minor new programs in its budget.
More on link

I don't really care if Harper panders to Quebec because I live in Alberta and we don't need money from the feds. Also I believe a Harper majority government could have advantages for Alberta in the long run.

People will complain, even if Harper were to make it so, everyone in this country had angels flying out of their arse, they would still complain. Nobody is ever happy, we all complain. We live in one of the most abundant countries on the face of this planet, but we still complain. I guess it's just human nature to find fault with everything. 

Are you oppressed?
Are you hungry?
Do your children attend good schools?
Do you have access to good health care when you or your family get sick?
Do you own a home?
Do you own an automobile?

I could go on and on, but for the majority of Canadians we have and we have plenty and I think the message is clear; what are we complaining about?

Stop and smell the roses once in a while, and see how good you actually have it here in this country.

I do agree the cuddle bunny attitude the Fed's have with Quebec has to be toned down, but on the other side of the coin, Harper did what any good politician would have done in his place, he bought votes...That's politics.

Back