• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ - April 2011

Wow!  The word's out. I heard well on Friday afternoon and will see 2 of you at BMQ. Congratulations!

I wonder if the early notice is for SEP.  Are we all SEP?

squidink, I am an NCMSEP applicant. I can't speak for kmcneil but that is a good possibility as well. I know the others in my area that got calls are also SEP. I have an acceptance to a Civi College locally, no MI for me.

However, congrats to you my friend! Where are you from?

Just created a Facebook group. Its named "Basic Military Qualification - St. Jean - April, 2011". Anyone who has been picked to go can join!

Well, I changed my number one application choice to Marine Engineering Mechanic during my interview. The Captain was very helpful in doing so. It was what I wanted to be all along but I figured I wasn't good enough academically for it. Turns out that I met the requirements for it but we never talked about it in depth, or about SEP. He just said I'll make it your number one choice now and thats it. Well, I am fresh out of high school and certainly have no course on being a MAR-ENG so I'm not entirely sure how it will work. The whole SEP thing confused me.

Well, i didn't get "the Call" but i was in to CFRC today and they showed the the screen that said i have received a job offer. They said that it would be a couple of days before i got the actual call with all the details, then i will know for sure. My assumption though is that i will be going on the same BMQ as the rest of you. Although you know what happens when you Ass(out of)u(and)me things. Lets just hope for the best and i hope to see you all up there.n  :salute:

kmcneil, I don't think you'll be in SEP. As per the forces web site....

BASIC OCCUPATIONAL QUALIFICATION TRAINING

On completion of the BMQ, MAR ENG MECHs attend Naval Environmental Training at the Canadian Forces Fleet School in either Halifax, Nova Scotia, or Esquimalt, British Columbia. Training takes approximately five weeks and includes:

Naval history and organization
Shipboard firefighting and damage control
Watchkeeping duties
Seamanship

The second portion of training takes place at the Canadian Forces Fleet School in Esquimalt, British Columbia. Training takes approximately 13 weeks and includes the following topics:

Common engineering practices and publications
Liquid contamination detection
Safe working attitudes and practices
Machinery lubrication
Use of hand tools
Maintenance of valves and gaskets
Systems familiarization

Looks like you're going to beat me and squid to the ship ;)

Lively18 said:
Well, i didn't get "the Call" but i was in to CFRC today and they showed the the screen that said i have received a job offer. They said that it would be a couple of days before i got the actual call with all the details, then i will know for sure. My assumption though is that i will be going on the same BMQ as the rest of you. Although you know what happens when you Ass(out of)u(and)me things. Lets just hope for the best and i hope to see you all up there.n  :salute:

HA! see lively, patience is a virtue. Did they say what job, or just that you had an offer? Congrats! though now instead of waiting for 'the call' it's going to drive you more crazy in anticipation of all the details. Sounds like an April BMQ for sure. Our tiny group is growing  ;D

Thats what I was figuring.

Sounds like I'll be getting on a ship sooner, but at least we'll all be heading to BMQ together. :salute:

As I said before, I made a Facebook group for those who would like to join!

Im pretty sure it said NWT but i cant say for sure, i was just excited to see Job offered lol

Whats your real name? I'll add you as a friend and then send you an invite.

Lively18 said:
Brandon R. Lively.....anyone going on BMQ is welcome to add me  :nod:

I think I found you. I sent a friend request.

I found the right account if your profile picture is of a baby and a stuffed bear. :p

Also, my full name is Kyle McNeil. Feel free to add me.  :nod:

the baby is my son, and well the stuffed bear....is well.....in fact a stuffed bear  ;D

You're from Lower Sackville?

Thats a coincidence. My girlfriend lives there and I go there quite often.

OBigD said:
However, congrats to you my friend! Where are you from?

I'm from the Owen Sound, Ontario area, 6 or 7 hours from Kingston.

Looks like I'm wrong - 4 of us in total! Missed you OBigD. Sorry, guy.

Yea, 4 of us and seems like if we ever end up on the same ship that we will be working very close to one another, all of us are NE Tech or NWT lol

Squidink, I spent about 5 years in Barrie and the rest of my life in Niagara. Been to Owen Sound many times.

Lively, kmcneil is a MAR ENG MECH so he will be down below while we brave the cold and wet  ;D

Lol, what a wuss  :p JK mcneil. Both my Father (27 years in (still in)) and my Grandfather (26 Years in (Deceased)) were/are MEM's so i have respect for what they do its not easy  :salute:

Back