• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bemoaning The Lack of Sports in The CF? [merged thread]

upandatom said:
You mean Adventure training? Units do that all the time.

And it is avail to all unit members who are not tasked, on course, etc.  Not just those who lace up skates or cleats.

This is getting silly. 

Claiming that hockey players going to hockey tournaments creates dissension ?  Please.  Want to canoe ?  Go to the MSA and sign one out, enjoy.  Or as upandatom said set up adventure training.  Good luck.

But don't whine because others are off doing something else that's fun, god forbid anything be enjoyable in the CAF.  And don't tell me your defending the almighty taxpayers $ either because there isn't a person on this site who either was or is in the CF who hasn't had a jammy go on the tax payers dime, be it a course, conference or sport, the list can go on.. 

Look people somedays your get the gravy somedays your get the crap.  Stop worrying about what others are doing and look after you and yours. 

Halifax Tar said:
Claiming that hockey players going to hockey tournaments creates dissension ?  Please. 
Don't know about your bit of the CF, but I heard similar complaints about hockey teams being excused from all sorts of nasty stuff as far back as 1980.  And it sounds like those still in suggest this has not been entirely reduced to zero.  I'd be happy to be corrected, but if this is still happening, it's more "us vs. them", and money that can be used elsewhere.

Then again, if the Snowbirds found money to do U.S. shows after saying "we're not doing any U.S. shows to save some money," anything is possible, right?

upandatom said:
Yes they can, I agree fully. Usually with people that are out of shape though, or just plain and simple too lazy to participate. 
And with those of us who now have no TD money available to go and do training that would help us do our jobs.  And also with those of us whose careers are about to get sidetracked because there is no money for a cost move.
If you want to be super fit, good on you.  There are lots of gyms on the base; hell, I don't even mind if you want to take time during working hours for it.  If you want to play hockey, great!  There are plenty of rinks available, and, again, I have no problem with people doing it during working hours.
However, if you want to be paid to travel around and play sports get yourself into the NHL, NBA etc; if they'll take you. 

milnews.ca said:
Don't know about your bit of the CF, but I heard similar complaints about hockey teams being excused from all sorts of nasty stuff as far back as 1980.

Yup, and since I couldn't skate worth a lick back then, I just watched and wished I was good enough to do it also.  I surely did not whine, moan, or piss in everyone's cornflakes because of my shortcomings...............

Now I don't even know what 'CISM' stands for and I surely don't know if they waste money, [wouldn't be surprising] but I do know how important sport days et al were to a whole lot of us back In Pet during the 80's.  One thing that used to really, really bug me [us] was with all the tasking's we could never join a local organized sports league because you never knew when you'd be gone, at least with CF sponsored stuff that void can be partially filled.

I will freely admit that in my last 2 years while in Gagetown, I had discovered my love for volleyball, and not being able to really play anything organized, played a part in my decision to 'pull pole'. 
For those people are talking about "taxpayer's money" getting wasted here, I'll bet retention of a few trained individuals is one of those hidden savings that will never come to light, and therefore cannot be proved, but I'm sure exists.

[sorry if this is jumbled up but I'm rushing to pack up because the school team I'm coaching is going to the Ontario Championships this afternoon............oh wait, perhaps another hidden benefit of having local sports, learning skills that can help get a new generation of kids off their asses??]

Halifax Tar said:
Claiming that hockey players going to hockey tournaments creates dissension ?  Please. 
Looking at the  :argument:  nature of these posts, it apparently does.

:dunno:    Just sayin'

Journeyman said:

Just like career course's can....cancel them also?? >:D

Bruce Monkhouse said:
[sorry if this is jumbled up but I'm rushing to pack up because the school team I'm coaching is going to the Ontario Championships this afternoon............oh wait, perhaps another hidden benefit of having local sports, learning skills that can help get a new generation of kids off their asses??]

Wait for it.  School budgets are also a bone of contention in municipalities.  How long will they support sending kids off to Provincial meets and National meets, even with the kids raising their own monies?  >:D

George Wallace said:
Wait for it.  School budgets are also a bone of contention in municipalities.  How long will they support sending kids off to Provincial meets and National meets, even with the kids raising their own monies?  >:D

High school sports pretty much pay our own way now. We've hosted VB tournaments for years to raise our funds.........
The only cost to the board this year is the cost of a substitute teacher for the 5 days my assistant has had to take the day off. [a teacher must always be present]

Journeyman said:

Well in my regiment I don't hear anything from the Pte - MCpl folks about it.  No on really seems to care.  I have a girl in one of my line crews gone to hockey nationals right now.  Her crew isn't phased in the slightest and we are on ex.  Infact I hear more about those "sick, lame and lazy" pers at all ranks who manage to weasel out of anything out side of their regular working hours, but not a peep about athletes gone to compete.

This whole thread is just silly and filled with same blow hards complaining about something.  If it wasn't this it would be buttons and bow or boots or something.  Some people just like to complain is what I chalk it up too.

Good luck to those competing in CISM/National/Regional events do the CAF proud and compete hard, fair and honest.  The athleticism, fitness and leadership you bring back will only be an asset to your units, squadrons and ships.

*I have never been and probably never will be a CISM athlete, unless rugby union makes a come back*

Halifax Tar said:
*I have never been and probably never will be a CISM athlete, unless rugby union makes a come back*

2584991-4527186704-tumbl.gif

Bruce Monkhouse said:
High school sports pretty much pay our own way now. We've hosted VB tournaments for years to raise our funds.........
The only cost to the board this year is the cost of a substitute teacher for the 5 days my assistant has had to take the day off. [a teacher must always be present]

The point being, the students, and in some cases teachers, are at times absent for varying periods of classroom time when away at these tournaments.  Not all costs to the CAF, like the school systems, are financial. 

At the same times, the benefits of developing other skills and networking while at these events are never factored in on a financial scale.  Those benefits and networking may not have a price, but may outweigh any fiscal considerations being made by the "bean counters" who only see life through blinders focused solely on black and white accounting sheets.

Halifax Tar said:

Now THIS I can agree with.  I'd love to see base level intersection rugby.   

Eye In The Sky said:
Now THIS I can agree with.  I'd love to see base level intersection rugby. 

That would be fantastic.  I think the closest we get to this anymore is the 'flag' football games.  Played in the Halifax officer vs NCM one and it was a lot of fun.  Out of any sport I've ever played, nothing built teamwork, leadership, etc like rugby, and it's excellent for fitness. Playing touch rugby as a warm up was actually more work then the full contact games; you didn't get a break after a tackle as there were no rucks, mauls etc.  Tough on the liver though!

Personally also found it a great confidence builder as well; went from being a shy nerd to occasional team captain (but still a nerd) after a few seasons.  Nothing quite like getting back up and into the fray after taking a kicking to improve your self image.

Bruce Monkhouse said:

Bingo! Replace High school with Units. Want to participate? Raise your own funds. No cost to the military.

No one is complaining about base intramural sports. It's the Units time and the military dime to pay people to fly willy nilly around the continent (world?) to participate in sports. Budgets are moot. The money all starts out in the same pot. The more that is allocated to one thing (budget), the less there is to spread around for other stuff (budgets).

It also has SFA to do with whether or not anyone else competes in sports or not. Also, people are not fat and lazy because they don't agree with the current policy. So people can stop throwing those two straw men out to further their agenda.

We agree to disagree I guess.
Speaking as a long time civilian taxpayer I just know I'd rather see my dollars spent on military sports than sending folks to score more degree's, jammy postings, useless HQ's, friggin' etc, etc, etc.........

RG,...while we're at it, lets stop sending kids to the Olympics also,....same taxpayer pot ya' know.

Navy_Pete said:
That would be fantastic.  I think the closest we get to this anymore is the 'flag' football games.  Played in the Halifax officer vs NCM one and it was a lot of fun.  Out of any sport I've ever played, nothing built teamwork, leadership, etc like rugby, and it's excellent for fitness. Playing touch rugby as a warm up was actually more work then the full contact games; you didn't get a break after a tackle as there were no rucks, mauls etc.  Tough on the liver though!

Personally also found it a great confidence builder as well; went from being a shy nerd to occasional team captain (but still a nerd) after a few seasons.  Nothing quite like getting back up and into the fray after taking a kicking to improve your self image.

In 1 CMBG, there is the annual Rucking Ram exercise, which is a 15's tournament, so Rugby does get played at the unit level.  Sadly, it seems dependant on leadership that also plays rugby.  Mind you, I am not sure the Bde Comd will be allowed to play anymore - this year he cracked three ribs and had his right lung collapsed by a young Strathcona...

Schindler's lift said:
I can't help but wonder how much of that "new found money" came from the $240,000 my Unit had to hand back in January and work out how to make do without?  I hope they enjoy their TD to the States.  Ours was cut as was all courses and purchases till 1 Apr.

Now come on,...just think how good that will be for your unit moral.
:sarcasm: :sarcasm:
[shouldn't be required but some folks aren't good at getting it]

Back