• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Becoming a Combat Engineer Thread - Merged

Good question.  Let me go get some more "life experience" and I'll get back to ya!

rnkelly said:
I just meant that if the engineering job doesn't require you to be a profesionnal engineer it probably isn't a true engineering job

A better way to put that (which would perhaps draw less fire!) is that a job that wouldn't require you to be a professional engineer if you were doing it in the civilian workplace probably isn't a true engineering job (and even that would probably be open to further discussion).   As far as I know, there's nothing to require a military engineer to be a professional engineer to perform engineering work on military property.   So designing a bridge is clearly engineering work, and a military engineer who isn't a registered P. Eng. may be able to do it on a base, but a civilian performing that kind of work on a public highway would defninitely have to be a registered professional engineer.

RS said:
Some NCM's do in fact hold a civilian licence.   My hubby is an Engineer.......He is an AME. In the military he is a Flight Engineer.    In fact there are quite a few technicians that have their Professional License.   With the military experience the board lets them challenge the exams.   Once they pass the exams they have to get hours on a civilian aircraft.   So that means allot of hard work and dedication.

I think what you're describing is a trade certification. Registration as a professional engineer isn't the same thing.

Neill McKay said:
I think what you're describing is a trade certification. Registration as a professional engineer isn't the same thing.

Whoops, Sorry.

In the civi world AME's are called Engineers.......Aeronautical Mechanical Engineer.  No it's not a degree, it's a diploma.  Just trying to help out with the question..........not the type of Engineer in question.

Cheers,
RS

There has been a push recently to include such disciplines as Theoretical Physics, applied math etc. in with the professional engineer registration. Technology is so multidisciplinary these days, there are plenty of other disciplines that are just as qualified to work on some projects that Engineers are.

Really, a theoretical physicist and a engineer are two different animals and should not be included in the same category. If the Professional engineer registration is to have any meaning, I always felt they should go the opposite direction and include only engineers and be much more specific on the kind of jobs that are suitable for only engineers.

I agree with pieman. I speak from experience being an ex theoretical Physicist and and ex PEng. They are two (albeit interdependant) things. Engineers should be separate. Maybe Physicists should create their own designation, but really, in my opinion, there is no use for it. Engineers need to be registered and certified to make sure the public safety is protected - that was part of the original concept I believe.

I think allowing others in, dilutes the certification. In these days of "everybody is a winner", reduced standards, and praise junkies in school - I think it is important to have something which is restrictive and exclusive, includes apprenticeship times, and asks for a code of ethics.

my 2 cents.

Maybe Physicists should create their own designation, but really, in my opinion, there is no use for it.
Definitely not, there are simply way too many sub-disciplines within Physics for it to have any meaning in the corporate or academic world. The only good thing that it might do is keep everyone up to date on general knowledge. Say everyone in physics has to write a basic general test with undergrad knowledge. Would force people to review the material every so often. You know how it is, you snooze it, you loose it.  The designation would act as measure of how sharp general physics skills are.

That's a pretty interesting idea. I am not a practicing (whatever the he** that would be) physicist anymore. I would probably not qualify - but then, most of the PEng's I work with don't practice and wouldn't pass their exams anymore either. But the fact is, at one time they had to, so general physics knowledge may be a good thought.... I would love to see general celestial mechanics questions done as part of it. What about you?

heh heh - my daughter is in Engineering Physics - I'll let her figure it out! (Lazy aren't I?)

I would love to see general celestial mechanics questions done as part of it. What about you?
Child's play. One of my undergraduate degrees is in Astrophysics, so I got that one covered. ;) If there was a general exam, I would be scared of any Quantum Mechanical type of question. I have not touched QM since my courses, and I am not sure how well I understood the stuff to begin with. :-\

I am not a practicing (whatever the he** that would be) physicist anymore
I assume anyone that uses physics in their job on a regular or semi-regular basis would be 'practicing'. Problem is that most jobs are very specific to one type of physical method, and therein lies the problem why most physicists lose the rest of their skills/knowledge over the long run. I have used physics on a regular basis since leaving school, but most have been applications to fluid mechanics (CFD), complex systems, good old classical mech, and a boat load of numerical stuff! But really, all the other sub-disciplines I studied are slowly fading from memory. Hence, maybe a general exam really would have a good impact and keep people on their toes.

Just like Engineers, the Military and Civilian types, to do a poor job with the use of words (as they are not numbers and formulas) and then to slam each other about it.  :) I include myself in this observation / firefight.

"Engineers" in the Civilian World are a 4 year accredited university promgram in engineering science ie. a Bachelors degree in Engineering Science. Plus 4 years as an Engineer in Training EIT, then you write an ethics exam, then you get your P.Eng designation, and can legally offer engineering services to the public. Myself, I am a Civil Engineering Technologist, with a 3 year diploma from a community college. Hence i am not an "Engineer", but an Engineering Technologist and cannot call myself an Engineer. The term is trademarked for use only by people possessing a P.Eng.

myself being a C.E.T. (Certified Engineering Technologist), I am not an "Engineer", and cannot stamp drawings or take ultimate responsibilty for Work to the Public, but I can do all of the work of an engineer ie. design roads, sewers, grading design, Inspecting, etc. We are the ones which take ultimate direction from an engineer and make projects happen.

In the military world the word "Engineer" does not connotate a person with a P.Eng designation. it means anyone who does an engineering job, within the scope of Military Engineering.

Therfore I am not an Engineer on civvy street, but I am an Engineer in the Military.

Officers in the Engineers should be, or capable of attaining a P.eng designation

Hey all...okay so here goes...I applied, Ive done 3/4 (fitness test left) and having been 100% sure I wanted to go Combat Engineer that I selected it as my only option on my application, I now find myself not so eager about it.   Ive thought seriously more so about Infantry...but I cannot say for sure because Im not in , and who ever I talk to in their trade (thus far) has said..yaaaaa go infantry its the s*ht..same thing with combat eng..yaaaa go cbt eng   its the s*ht...its great that these (limited # of ppl ive talked to) love their job, but I just need some HONEST ADVICE.   I just seem unsure after I saw the list...I can basically go into any trade available in the CF...but I'd preffer combat arms.   Im not joning the military to do a job that I could have in a civlian world...however logically speaking for a young woman (20) what would all of you suggest I stick with cbt eng or go infantry...or any other moc...I just want your HONEST oppinions...if ur in you know that much more than I do and thats why I will more than appriciate your advice. Thank you so much!

I am also an applicant like you. I suggest spending a lot of time reading into each trade as much as possible. Get your hands on any material related to Combat Engineering, and to Infantry. Once you have a better idea of the role of each trade it will be easier for you to see if it is something you would like/dislike, or something you would be really good at. From your post it sounds like you don't really have a feeling as to what the jobs would be like.

In my mind, all the Combat roles are really cool jobs. Each one of them is vitally important in the Army, and have career choices that go in very interesting directions.   I would love to be involved in any one of them. For myself, when I had to pick my a 'First' choice, it boiled down to picking the role that I felt I would be most suited to. But to be honest, stick me in any one of them I will be a happy camper.

Curious, Why are you now not so keen on Combat Engineer? What aspect of the role don't you like?

go Engineer. Wimminz don't last too long in the Reg Infantry. For a number of reasons.
Semper, seriously. If you're going to choose between Echo or India, go with Engineers. But, I'd strongly suggest doing so as an Ossifer, or choosing a different branch of the Cbt Arms, quite honestly. Guns or Tanks would be a little easier on your frame, and you still get to do cool stuff.
(And before somebody jumps my shit for being a chauvinist, the two female-types in my BN [who are both OT-ing] would beg to differ, so save it.)

I have to side with Paracowboy on this, I personally have seen allot more woman in the Cbt Engineers then in the Infantry also the woman tended to like being an Engineer much more then the ones that were Infantry....That being said it's all a matter of personal desire, What do you want to do? you want to blow shit up, prob for mines and save my dumb a** when I step into the unknown minefield, dive into the dark waters and make sure the beach is free and clear of obstacles so my Recce det can come ashore and mark and secure it for follow on forces?. Or do you want to be the one in the breach humping that ruck with the C9 LMG getting ready to do the frontal, or rappel out that Helo with your section and put it that Coy attack, what is it you want to do what drives you when you look at the options.

Support the boys when the going gets tough( and trust me without the support we wouldn't/couldn't do half what we think we can without out it) or to do want to be the very pointy end of a the well supported spear.

I have a very deep respect for 031's, was one and loved it, but when it comes to always learning new things and playing with the best toys sappers have it. With being a sapper you get to do some 031 stuff, but you also get to build bridges, roads, bivvie areas( and then you get to blow them up),  in my view this would be very rewarding.  both 031 and sappers have great esprit de corps and the fitness level is the best.

when choosing a MOC, think of it this way, if you had all the money in the world and you wanted to do something that you loved what would that job be, write it down, and then pick a moc that looks most like your dream job( or at least has the most in common).  At the end of the day, if you are doing a job you love, you will do it great, no matter what moc you choose.

old guy out

respect
FITSUMO

I am currently in the new engineering reserve unit of out the fort garry horse and i am really comtemplating joinging reg force because i have tried university and i do not think its for me and being an engineer sounds interresting and i would learn alot, i was wondering if any reg force engineers could tell mostly is it worth it to go reg force and if they are happy, because that if what i want most in life is a job that i enjoy doing and i am happy, so any feedback would be greatly apprecaited. Thanks.

Iam currently a combat Engineer, Just recently I passed my 10 year mark. To say the least, I was in your same situation, tried university, didn't like it so I joined the army as an engineer. If you like the Engineers as a Reserve, I can guarantee you will like it as much, if not more in the Reg force.

I'm an electrican (ED Tech) in the engineers and love it, even with the huge difference in pay from civvie street electricians.  I would say go for it, and if you can nab a good trade where you can also do side jobs (ie HVAC or Plumbing or Electrical).  That way if you find the CF isn't for you, after the first three year contract you can say no thanks and have received some excellent training.  The only downfall that I can think of is if you go to civvie tradesworld and don't have your civvie ticket (at least for electricians) you won't get the sweet union jobs because they won't take anyone without their journeyman papers.

Good luck man!  Uni wasn't for me either, at least when I was young. Now I'm an old fart in my 30's I'm taking evening courses to get my engineering degree.  Go figure.

DME

I'm a Sapper for the 5 CER in CFB Valcartier, if you want to transfer Reg, don't come here. We practice everything but no sapper skills like landmine, urban warfare, pontoon or even basic charge. When your IC have to look up in a book to remember how to make a frapping turn, there's a f!!!!ing problem in the training.

I don't no for the other regiment but here, i'll be afraid to go to Kandahar with the training we have.

CHIMO

Back