• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Basic Training-what do you think?

sbale, good point, attention to detail is key, at any level of soldiering

Attention to detail is very key and it's a given.

Cheers
-Buzz

Another important thing is not to ask too many questions. A little inquisitiveness is ok, but there's a time and a place for it, and it's not on BMQ. Your instructors may tell you there's no such thing as a stupid question, but they probably don't want to hear yours. Everything that's taught is taught for a reason, which you'll learn on your own.

Pte D. Krystal said:
Another important thing is not to ask too many questions. A little inquisitiveness is ok, but there's a time and a place for it, and it's not on BMQ. Your instructors may tell you there's no such thing as a stupid question, but they probably don't want to hear yours. Everything that's taught is taught for a reason, which you'll learn on your own.

You are so right...in previous training, I was allowed to ask 2 questions a day and the rest I had to figure out on my own and know to a tee when given a tasking to perform..so they had to be good questions that others can learn from and use them wisely.

Just to add they say they don't mind repeating themselves either....but a pen and pad helps prevent the game "repeat" which everyone loves to play! They love the game and I loved hearing the same thing being told over and over again. (sarcasm)  Being sharp and up to date was to easedrop in conversations between instructors and students on advice and what to look for.  Inspections is a good example.  I listened to 5-8 inspections before my inspection. (between 2 sections with ears open). When it came to mine...i would gather my mistakes along with the others and incorporate it into mine. 

What it comes down to is you can make it real easy for yourself..or you can make it real hard for yourself.  If you do what they say and how they say it, you will have no problem. Work hard at everything and it will show.

Cheers
-Buzz 

Buzz said:
You are so right...in previous training, I was allowed to ask 2 questions a day and the rest I had to figure out on my own and know to a tee when given a tasking to perform..so they had to be good questions that others can learn from and use them wisely.

Something I've noticed, though, is that if you do ask questions, make them "how" questions instead of "why" questions. Asking why things are done a certain way is merely challenging protocol that you don't understand, and don't need to understand yet. Asking how things are done is something else entirely, and your course staff would be more than happy to tell you how to clean/assemble your rifle, how to put on your gas mask, etc, because these are things that are important for a soldier to know how to do.

In the reserves it was a black sharpie to put your name on everything and something to help you take off the darn name of the poor reg guy who had to sew his name on everything.  ;D

O btw, for those of you havin trouble keepin your laundry in order: take pins, like bobby pins or whatever you call them, and pin all of your shit together, that way you're not sortin through every1 elses shit.

Do you mean safety pins? I don't see how a bobby pin could hold laundry together.

did you guys find the class room stuff on bmq to be hard and were their test on the material you were taught. were the test hard?
thanks

Pte. Gaisford said:
I think this whole basic training thing is being over-thought.

I concur.

BMQ is just not that difficult, certainly not in the mental sense.  I can understand people having difficulty with culture shock and that sort of thing, but don't try and over-analyse how much mental capacity it takes to pass the course because it doesn't take much.

Essentially all the information you need for BMQ is spoon fed to you, just don't make the mistake of thinking all your future courses will be this easy.  It is quite rare for someone to fail BMQ due to academic reasons, usually it is medical or personal related (i.e. they changed their mind about being in the army). 

Whenever I wonder about how tough some course may be I just think to myself "look at all the coneheads who have passed this before".  Litterally thousands of other people have passed BMQ, so provided you put in a modicum of effort and listen to what your instructors tell you, you to will become a successful graduate.

Pte D. Krystal said:
Another important thing is not to ask too many questions. A little inquisitiveness is ok, but there's a time and a place for it, and it's not on BMQ. Your instructors may tell <b> you there's no such thing as a stupid question,</b> but they probably don't want to hear yours. Everything that's taught is taught for a reason, which you'll learn on your own.

...just stupid people

normally works for finishing that sentence ;)

I don't think BMQ was that hard really. Hardest things for me was A.) Getting used to army regulations (when to salute, when not to, HOW, etc...) and B.) C7 Weapons handling test. This is mainly due to the fact I've never even fired any type of gun/rifle/weapon in my life other than a paintball gun and had no familiarization with the weapon other than training...

How did I do? I didn't make even 1 single mistake! It's simple like everyone has said, pay attention, listen to your instructors and PRACTICE what they preach!!! The night before my C7 Handling test, I did about 45mins-1hr of self instruction on everything I could think of with it and then I went over my written notes also.

One thing I could have used and think there should have been more of: PT. Wasn't enough PT and there was only 1 time during BMQ that it was actually very difficult. Other than that, BMQ was fun really and I always thought it would be the easiest course I'd take. SQ has been better because of the different toys, but they also expect more out of you. No screwing around and pretending to be stupid like many guys do.

Joe

I will be graduating from bmq this week. To tell you the truth i didn't find it very hard, yes some days are tough, but not tough enough to make not like what you are doing. Yes some classes are too damn boring, example (edo classes).

Back