• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Basic Training-what do you think?

R

ryan fitzy

I am suppose to be going to Basic Training this summer for Reg ARTY Field, This question is for people that have already completed Basic or are in it know! What was the hardest thing in your own opinion that you had to do at Basic? I asked my friend and his answer was "To stay awake" he said that the class rooms are so hot and air restricted that its hard to stay awake- and if you cant you get smoked!!! :salute:

It will depend on the individual.

I don't have a problem being PTed, yelled at, staying awake, or doing long drill lessons. Lots of people do. Other people found the classroom stuff to be easy. I found it slow, boring and utterly repetative.

Why not wait and see what you can cruise through and what you'll find more difficult.

Nah sleeping isn't a problem just get mirrored sun glasses like my parter on basic did. He got plenty of sleep. We all laughed.

Gomerpyle

GOMERPYLE said:
Nah sleeping isn't a problem just get mirrored sun glasses like my parter on basic did. He got plenty of sleep. We all laughed.

Gomerpyle

What kind of basic was that? Cadet basic training? They won't let you wear glasses indoors at any training I've attended... No individualism on BMQ, at all!!! One guy got REAMED for trying to "be an individual"...

::)

.... and
GOMERPYLE said:
just get mirrored sun glasses like my parter on basic did. He got plenty of sleep. We all laughed.

Gomerpyle

Mirrored sunglasses are not allowed in the CF, period. And certainly not on your BMQ. So listen up Goober, quit talking out of your ass. Your contradicting the guidelines with your erroneous info (again).

While there is no individualism, there is individuality. No one is the same, no matter what you make them wear or think. Some people will have difficulty running, some might just not get over the classroom material. Some might think staying awake is the hardest or, for me personally, some will find the extreme authoratative nature and demand a little overwhelming.

The point is that you just might not hate what somebody else does. My advice is to just dive in head first and soak everything up and work as hard as you can. Don't worry about what you're going to hate because that is completely irrelevant. You will have many good times and it will all be worth a little pain.  ;D

Cheers and good luck

It wouldn't help to hear what we all found hardest, you get six different answers from any six soldiers you ask. Everyone found something about basic hard, that's kind of the point.  The big thing is that you have to learn to help your buddies with what you find easy, and get help from them with what you find hard.  Keep your sense of humour, don't let your inevitable screwups get to you, and sleep really is overrated  ;D

I am suppose to be going to Basic Training this summer for Reg ARTY Field, This question is for people that have already completed Basic or are in it know! What was the hardest thing in your own opinion that you had to do at Basic? I asked my friend and his answer was "To stay awake" he said that the class rooms are so hot and air restricted that its hard to stay awake- and if you cant you get smoked!!!

I am assuming you are going regular force?  I just came back from St Jean on the weekend visiting my wife whom just grad from Basic Officer trg and is staying for her Language Trg.  This is an easy answer - get in as best shape as possible - if you are in good shape you will be able to stay alert and awake - it is very very hot in St Jean this time of year and the Mega (your soon to be home) is not air conditioned which makes you very tired all the time.  I think some of the replies you are getting must be from reserve candidates (sun glasses, etc) as believe you me I know some of your instructors and this will not be tolerated. Which leads to my second comment:  Get ready to tolerate shouting and screaming at every second - let it go in one ear and out the other and do your best to keep in the GREY zone :)  Good luck, have fun when you can and try to get out (when you can) to see the sites (Montreal is only a ten dollar bus ride)

I hated the little things like morning inspections, sewing, ironing, ect, the whole physical and in class part was very easy for me.

copecowboy said:
I hated the little things like morning inspections, sewing, ironing, etc, the whole physical and in class part was very easy for me.

Ya, I think my biggest scare is keeping things all neat and shinny, as well as what copecowboy said.

Sivad said:
Ya, I think my biggest scare is keeping things all neat and shinny, as well as what copecowboy said.

its not so bad, as soon as your platoon clicks, everyone helps everyone/

The hardest thing is trying to keep your combats, socks etc sorted from everyone elses. Goddamn socks, stupid smiley faces.  :p

Island Ryhno said:
The hardest thing is trying to keep your combats, socks etc sorted from everyone elses. Goddamn socks, stupid smiley faces.   :p
    I've been out since '94 and my socks are still in neat piles, all smiley.  Hard habit to break. Drives the 9'er domestic crazy.

Island Ryhno said:
The hardest thing is trying to keep your combats, socks etc sorted from everyone elses. Goddamn socks, stupid smiley faces.   :p

Thats the whole reason behind sewing your name on every peice of kit.

copecowboy said:
Thats the whole reason behind sewing your name on every peice of kit.

Ouch, you couldn't use a black marker instead?

Yes you have to sew, go learn now and it will be considerably less painful for you. As for the sewing on being a help, well it is when you had the time, most often though in the perpetual rush that is basic you would end up with at least one thing that was way to big or way to small. But hey, what's more fun than running with a t shirt on that's 2 sizes too small.  :D

Basic training is a test of motivation of how bad you really wanted to be there and to see if you can handle the crap.  To make it through basic with little resistance, practice eyes and ears open, mouth closed.  Cannot stress that enough.  Show drive where ever you can. It not only shows you want to be there but also for drill it's a friggin decent work out.  Constantly driving the body makes you a stronger person and they teach you to listen to the words of command and to react on it with everything you have.  I find it  amazing for the logistics of the whole 10 weeks.  Because everything is planned right to the second which means timings must be met.(carry a pen and pad or you'll be all screwed up from listening to your buddies who didn't right it down either) 
I have to say Dress, Drill and Deportation is practiced ever moment you are there and when you go to civy street you find yourself subconsciously practicing the 3 D's. lol  Once you learn it's not that hard to maintain. 

Basic is a place where you get to first feel like you have belonging along with acceptance into a group. An intermixture of Navy, Army, and Air Force all working together. (Your Platoon) and to act for a common goal as one.  Every day is not the same for it has it's ups and downs.  The thought of VR didn't come to my mind once. But came to a few peoples.  They always felt the need or compelled to tell me..and i basically told them to get that thought out of their %^&$'n head and think about how long they would stay on PAT versus the number of weeks to Graduation. Same with those that wanted to go MIR same deal.  Basic is a complete mind game of determination and will.  I loved it. I like the challenge but at the same time I'm happy that portion is over with so I can carry on with my trade but to show just as much drive and determination and work hard as I did at Basic. 

It's definitely not for all. Everything done there is easy. It's unbelievably easy (once sorted out) and must be taken one day at a time. One thing I had to remember was it's Only 10 weeks and a piss in the pot compared to the rest of my career.  Hooaaaa!

Cheers
-Buzz

hey man, I never did basic back home in canada but did it out here in australia, and i reckon its the same all over the world.  Keep your head up, your lips tight, your kit squared away and your ears open, and you should do alright... The hardest thing for me was to go through the gates on base and no smoking for the first couple o weeks...

Back