• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aviation Systems Technician ( AVN Tech )

CDNAIRFORCE , thanks for all the great info. There is no going back for me. The whole family thing is not the only reason I'm holding off until January, I also have a commitement to my current job. I stopped taking on new clients in the last 3 months but I still have to maintain a relationship w/those I have remaining.

I also am aware that I will be in Borden for a year plus, and have nothing against that, I'm open to be sent off to Texas or Germany or wherever Im needed or have the luck to get offered. The taking family with question was based on my understanding that once schooling is completed at Borden, according to the info givien on th CF website, AVN's get sent to a training squadron for a short period, a few weeks tops, then off to your first posting. If thats wrong, whatever, but Im not going to avoid a posting or something just because I will be away from wife and kid for 1 or 2 months. I dont want to have to pack up all our belongings every 3 months ya know?  ;)

Ninja, Im with you all the way. Air Force boyee :salute:

pfl said:
And why is that......

We dont have anything in Texas and for the NATO posting in Germany, the numbers are small and none of the guys there are new to the CF

Oh ok thats cool. I had I guess heard of those places somewhere on these boards, I had been tryng to kind of make a point that I dont actually care where I get sent off to >:D :threat: :skull:

pfl said:
Oh ok thats cool. I had I guess heard of those places somewhere on these boards, I had been tryng to kind of make a point that I dont actually care where I get sent off to >:D :threat: :skull:

No worries, i just didnt want you to have grand ideas of going to Germany straight out of training.

Cheers

CDN Aviator said:
No worries, i just didnt want you to have grand ideas of going to Germany straight out of training.

Cheers

However, I have a buddy who is AVN, his first posting was CYZX, and is now posted to the AWACS component in ETNG as his second posting.  4-5 years in the trade counting coursing and he gets an OUTCAN.  Not bad.

Eye In The Sky said:
However, I have a buddy who is AVN, his first posting was CYZX, and is now posted to the AWACS component in ETNG as his second posting.  4-5 years in the trade counting coursing and he gets an OUTCAN.  Not bad.

Thank you for comfirming what i said before.  :)

CDN Aviator said:
Thank you for comfirming what i said before.  :)

LOl well I guess I was just trying to say it is possible for a seond posting...don't want to discourage everyone afterall...we need 500 series to keep things flying  8)

i never said it was impossible for a second posting......just for him not to go thinking he will leave Borden and go to GK.

500 series? Is that a slanted remark to new trainees or grads  ;) ( here come the mods "USE SEARCH!!!)

a long time ago 500 series technician trades consisted of :
511 Aero Engine*
512 Airframe*
513 Aviation (At WO * trades become this)
521 Integral Systems@
522 Radar Systems@
523 Communication Systems@
524 Communication and Radar@ (mid 80's 522 & 523 joined)
525 Avionics (At WO @ trades become this)
531 Safety Systems
541 Photo
551 Instrument and Electrical
561 Metal
562 Machinist
563 Refinisher
571 Weapons Tech (air)
572 Air Weapons System (mid 80's new trade with POET training)

after trade amalgamation we were left with
514 Avaition
526 Avionics
541 Imaging
565 Aircraft Structures

After MOSART trades were renumbered mine is now 00135 I have no idea on the others.

WrenchBender

Thank you.
So how does somebody get involved w/all these different jobs in the previous 500 series? I want to become an AVN-Tech, so after Borden or when reaching Cpl., is that when you can specialize or something?

Edit: Actually I recognize alot of these jobs as ones you sign-up into off the bat, but not weapons tech, unless Im wrong....

pfl said:
Thank you.
So how does somebody get involved w/all these different jobs in the previous 500 series? I want to become an AVN-Tech, so after Borden or when reaching Cpl., is that when you can specialize or something?

Where you are employed and which area of the trade you work in will be up to your first unit.

Edit: Actually I recognize alot of these jobs as ones you sign-up into off the bat, but not weapons tech, unless Im wrong....

Air Weapons Technicians no longer exists. It is part of the AVN trade. ( Well, not for much longer....)

Pfl
Depending on the type you are posted to, will affect the specialties/area of expertise available to you. Every fleet has different demands on the techs and until you get out to the real world (after school) and qualified in the basics you will not be able to make an educated decision on specializing. Sign up, go to CFSATE, get posted to a unit, and get through the type course. then start worrying about the fancy/extra stuff. It takes years to become competent in your chosen trade, think baby steps for now.

WrenchBender

Sounds good to me Wrenchbender :salute:

CDN Aviator said:
Air Weapons Technicians no longer exists. It is part of the AVN trade. ( Well, not for much longer....)
Well I guess Im a long ways off from choosing specialty, but weapons tech air seems quite interesting, whats going to happen w/that trade?

pfl said:
Well I guess Im a long ways off from choosing specialty,

I never said you would be allowed to "choose"

but weapons tech air seems quite interesting, whats going to happen w/that trade?

It is becoming its own trade once again. Not sure when it will happen though.

As WrenchBender said, your opportunities for specialty training will depend on the unit/section you work in.  As you become competant in your basic job function, you will find areas that appeal to you and will be able to request specialty training.  Subject to availability and your supervisor's discretion you may or may not get what you're after..... usually people who work at it get what they want.

But don't worry too much about that stuff for now.  Lots of time later.

So I finally actually went down to the RC yesterday after work, to try and get as much info as possible about the trade, and that was a fun little experience to say the least lol Man do they want to push that subsidized enrollement plan. Basically you get started in university (its a 3 year course) apply then to the CF and if they take you they will reimburse whatever you paid to get in school, then you move into a reserve position, working week-ends and summer. But they lady I spoke with, who was actually an AVN by trade (lucky lucky) was adamant that I would be Regular Force. Truth be told I didnt really believe her in that respect, but whatever. All the other info I got was great. Earlier in this thread it was said that the course for AVN Tech 's was getting reduced to like 6 or 9 months, according to the people I spoke w/at the RC it is actually an 18 month course, previously 24. I actually have no interest in taking the subsidized route, but i can see why they push it. Basically if you're a moron and start flunking courses, the CF can drop you like a bad habit, If you're at Borden I guess it costs alot more to keep you around or whatever they do with douchebags. I have no intention on flunking anything, never have, never will.

Weapons Tech is becoming part of the Armament Trade btw

Plus hey! I got a shiny pen  ;D

Back