• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Attempted assassination of Donald Trump 13 July 2024

Another consideration is that each time you change carry techniques (duty belt/plainclothes belt holster/thigh holster/shoulder holster/concealment holster) there is a training bill and muscle memory to develop, not only for drawing and holstering but also for reloads, stoppages and transitions. I've trained on each one quite a bit with the exception of shoulder holsters, which my agency doesn't use and are not permitted in IPSC or IDPA.

I was surprised you were using Lvl IV plates, but that's a good thing.

Nobody overdoes something like the RCMP when their pp gets smacked.

There are lighter plates available, but the fact of the matter is every car is supposed to have a set of plates (where I'm at they do) but members rarely wear them for any one of a variety of reasons and NCO's don't enforce it because they're not wearing them either.

Shoulder holsters tend to be floppy, and they also put your gun potentially more in view and definitely in reach for an attempted gun grab. View wise, they’re closer to eye level and more likely to be noticed if your jacket flaps open. Because they aren’t really anchored to you, it’s harder to incorporate retention mechanisms that will help keep the gun in place either against a drop or a grab. It also means a longer and slower movement for the draw- across the body, and probably sweeping a later arc with a loaded firearm to reach your target. Because the shoulder holster will be hanging and moving at least a bit, it could be less predictable where, exactly, the grip of the gun is to be found. A proper belt holster on a stiff leather belt mounts the gun solidly and predictably in one place, gives the shortest and most direct draw path where you shouldn’t lose anyone between you and the target, and because the holster is pretty much fixed static you have a reliable ability to disengage retention mechanisms, usually activated with your thumb. Also, with a belt holster, I can put my badge directly beside it and closer to my belt buckle so that anyone who does get a glimpse of my gun should also see my badge. In Canada at least that helps reduce people getting freaked out.

There might be occasions where a shoulder holster is more comfortable, but that’s about the only advantage I could think of. If true concealability (versus simply being discreet) is the priority, there are better options than shoulder holster.
When I worked downtown I occasionally catch a glimpse of a guy carrying a gun. My rule of thumb was if it was in a holster, they were likely a cop. Only saw one without and called it in, they never showed up so I am assuming it was one of their guys. Couple of times I had to quietly mention to a undercover cop that their gun was showing, they appreciated it. Also had to mention to a Sheriff in Tim Hortons that his mag was not seated properly.

Nobody overdoes something like the RCMP when their pp gets smacked.

There are lighter plates available, but the fact of the matter is every car is supposed to have a set of plates (where I'm at they do) but members rarely wear them for any one of a variety of reasons and NCO's don't enforce it because they're not wearing them either.
LWHBA has started its rollout in pockets. Much better

Back