• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arnold's Tank

McBrush

Inactive
Reaction score
So who else in owns a tank ?
http://ca.movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/arnold-schwarzenegger-takes-own-personal-tank-spin-000359471.html

" In the evenings, they would dig out a trench that he would roll the tank over, and he and his crew would sleep on the dirt underneath."

:facepalm:

Heavy tank, soft earth... somehow I can see this going wrong  ::)

cavalryman said:
" In the evenings, they would dig out a trench that he would roll the tank over, and he and his crew would sleep on the dirt underneath."

:facepalm:

Heavy tank, soft earth... somehow I can see this going wrong  ::)

I remember hearing an urban legend many, many years ago of a Centurion crew who died in Gagetown doing exactly that.

Haggis said:
I remember hearing an urban legend many, many years ago of a Centurion crew who died in Gagetown doing exactly that.
In 1963 or 1964 during the 3 CIBG summer concentration a RCD Centurion rolled at night and a couple of sappers who were riding on the back deck were killed. Legend has it that at least one was not killed instantly and died a horrible death as the tank settled on top of him in the soft ground. That was nearly 50 years ago and I got this second hand from members of the FOO party who were among the troops who attempted to get the trapped men out by digging and prying.

Add: The battery net was not pleasant listening that night.

On exercise in Germany in the fall of 1968,  the story circulated wrt sleeping under tanks to keep out of the rain as the tank would settle in the soft ground. Supposedly a couple of crewmen went missing, searched for (incl Ghaus Haus) and could not be found.  The order was all vehicles in the leaguer to drive forward their vehicle length. Story is they were found in sleeping bags under the Centurion.

An all C/S safety message was sent out that year stating that a hatch must be opened all all times when the engine was running, stove being used and smoking. This I know was true because of light discipline etc. we could not smoke at night in the carrier.

Supposedly a Van Doo suffocated. An officer????

All very nice lore, but anybody noticed that Arnold's little tank's turret is facing the wrong way?

I wonder if it is to save space or just because, after too many hits to the head, Arnold's childhood memory of his military service are a little fuzzy.

Could be that he doesn't remember how to turn the turret around too :) .

Oldgateboatdriver said:
All very nice lore, but anybody noticed that Arnold's little tank's turret is facing the wrong way?

I wonder if it is to save space or just because, after too many hits to the head, Arnold's childhood memory of his military service are a little fuzzy.

If you are truly observant, you will notice that the gun is locked into the Gun Crutch in the "Travel Position".

It would indeed save space in his garage.  At least 12 feet of garage space, although I am sure he can afford to add another 20 or so feet to his garage to accommodate the turret being turned forward.

I just thought it looks funny to drive it that way if you are demonstrating your car-crushing prowesses to the press ;) .

George Wallace said:
If you are truly observant, you will notice that the gun is locked into the Gun Crutch in the "Travel Position".

It would indeed save space in his garage.  At least 12 feet of garage space, although I am sure he can afford to add another 20 or so feet to his garage to accommodate the turret being turned forward.
1. He was the driver, doesn't know how to move the Turret.
2, What money he is divorcing a Kennedy what ever she doesn't get her Lawyer will.

Oldgateboatdriver said:

He probably has forgotten the combination to pop the turret off, to do turret maintenance.    ;D

Didn't he forget to put the park brakes on one night in his tank during his army days and it rolled down hill over a couple of cars?

A guy down the road from me owns a T-55, used to keep it in his yard, now it's out at the museum in the old CFB Chilliwack base.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ikaycz4HjI

It looks like there is .50 cal barrel in the mantlet.

Am I correct, or is it something else?

In the M-47 or T-55? M47 would have had M1919 .30cal in coaxial and hull. With a .50cal for AA use on the turret top. T-55 uses a 7.62x54 MG, I think the PKT? Any machine gun on top is normally a DsHKM in 12.7mm

George Wallace said:
He probably has forgotten the combination to pop the turret off, to do turret maintenance.    ;D

247 to the left

There was History Channel story  a few years ago about Tanks and there a retired Canadian Soldier guessing officer or CWO who was on the show and he had a private collections of tanks and apcs . He was living some where outside of Petawawa but I never saw the show again to get his name. I was curious because he had Canadian equipment
anyone know of him?

FormerHorseGuard said:
There was History Channel story  a few years ago about Tanks and there a retired Canadian Soldier guessing officer or CWO who was on the show and he had a private collections of tanks and apcs . He was living some where outside of Petawawa but I never saw the show again to get his name. I was curious because he had Canadian equipment
anyone know of him?

If he had a Sherman, Ferret and Lynx, that would have been Rad (Gen Radley-Walters) and his collection now belongs to the Canadian War Museum.  His Lynx is now on loan and a monument at the Armour School in Gagetown.

my72jeep said:
1. He was the driver, doesn't know how to move the Turret.
2, What money he is divorcing a Kennedy what ever she doesn't get her Lawyer will.

In regards to 2 not an expert on California divorce law but reading his memoirs 1) Maria was financially independent from him from the day they married.  2) he has a much bigger bank account than most people realize, most of his wealth is from real estate and other business ventures.  He was already a millionaire before he got big in Hollywood.

Shamrock said:
247 to the left

I'm no tanker, but I thought you had to do up to ten full counter clockwise rotations to unscrew the turret. Or was that just for those weird french tanks like the AMX-30?  :camo:

Old Sweat said:
In 1963 or 1964 during the 3 CIBG summer concentration a RCD Centurion rolled at night and a couple of sappers who were riding on the back deck were killed. Legend has it that at least one was not killed instantly and died a horrible death as the tank settled on top of him in the soft ground. That was nearly 50 years ago and I got this second hand from members of the FOO party who were among the troops who attempted to get the trapped men out by digging and prying.

Add: The battery net was not pleasant listening that night.

Ah, this old wives tale. Was it Germany? Or India:

Sleeping in the jungle wasn't funny either, if you took your boots off for the night you had to shake them well in the morning to be sure there was not a scorpion or centipede inside. One unfortunate in our group died of snakebite when a small but deadly Krait got under his mosquito net and bit him. Most times one tried to sleep on the engine cowling of the tank but never underneath the vehicle. On the soft jungle earth, the tank would slowly settle during a long halt and one crew were suffocated, a horrible death.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/88/a7659688.shtml

It's the army's version of hearing a scratching noise on your car on a date, driving home and finding a hook still hanging from the passenger door handle.

Back