• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

If AOPs is getting attacked by drones they may have better luck with a bunch of shotguns TBH, but they were never intended to go into an OPs area and take drone attacks (or any other attacks) so again, completely outside the CONOPs or design requirements.

The Cougar enters the discussion.

Shades of , " It's purely a training vehicle I can assure you THAT IT WILL NEVER BE USED IN AN OPERATIONAL THEATRE....
Gee , I wonder where I'd heard this beforehand.

Cougar enters the chat...

View attachment 86770

I know people deride the sate of the Halifax class, and they do have tired hulls and machinery, but the combat systems, sensors and weapons systems are still first class and quite sufficient to carry out combat missions by the side of any NATO country.
So the AOP's are going to tow them?

They do have steaming watches but can be unmanned to do maintenance, go to the heads or go to the gym.
My understanding is that unmanned is now the norm outside of specials, at least during normal sailing. They also zero-crew some alongside when nested, which is interesting.

The MCDVs have been doing that for a while and have now had two floods outside of machinery spaces recently go undetected because there are no bilge sensors around the bridge when a pipe lets go.

It can work, as long as you understand the limitations and what isn't covered, but we don't seem to take that into account when making those kinds of changes, or if we do it's understood just until APS as the reasons behind it don't get written down so people don't twig that when your remote detection or there are other defects on the automatic systems maybe can't stick with the status quo.

Back