• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

AOPS planning to go to Antarctica? As far as I know, that would be a historic first for the RCN. I can imagine ships would be fighting to be the first on that deployment.
oh really? It is currently -27 at McMurdo with a high forecast for -17 over the next 14 days. They are forecasting ice fog and light snow. Why would you want to be there?

oh really? It is currently -27 at McMurdo with a high forecast for -17 over the next 14 days. They are forecasting ice fog and light snow. Why would you want to be there?
has no one gone south of Magellan before?
Visit Chile, Argentina, Falklands

has no one gone south of Magellan before?
Visit Chile, Argentina, Falklands
Don't need to go south of Magellan for that. I know ships have gone through Magellan though. Heard it was an interesting Pilotage.

So you can become a member of the Loyal Order of the Penguin of course. To go with my Loyal Order of the Polar Bear. (Note there is no proper ceremony for crossing into that Antarctic Polar Circle, but I suspect Neptune will have a second visit to any ship that does it from Canada, I can hear his crashing voice now "Didn't you learn your lesson from two weeks ago!!!")

Maybe trying to convince the ANZAC's to buy the design?
I would not be surprised that this might be something that happens. Also its going to really poke a hole into the AOPS "this ship is garbage" crowd particular in the Senate. You know the folks who said it was a slush breaker... when now its proven that it goes through more then 2m of ice.

I wonder if this trip came out of their discovery of its amazing fuel mileage? And better seakeeping then expected with the stabilizers out. Lots of problems with the ship but certainly lots of good news as well.

The bragging rights for being the first RCN sailors to go there, and the for having transited the Drake Passage.

Agreed. Just jealous of the folks who will be going. Who knows, maybe I'll get posted before the sail begins. I think I'll look at the sailing operations sched tomorrow and see when this journey is supposed to happen. (hello Career Manager? My career goals have changed... lol)

Agreed. Just jealous of the folks who will be going. Who knows, maybe I'll get posted before the sail begins. I think I'll look at the sailing operations sched tomorrow and see when this journey is supposed to happen. (hello Career Manager? My career goals have changed... lol)
Would the RCN overload the crew to punch some tickets? Heck even host some Chileans and Kiwi's.

I would imagine it counted to the sailor in RCN uniform...
Sure... I feel pretty special about firsts I accomplished too, but nobody else cares.

One or two RCN pers on a ship sailing there is not the same as an RCN ship, with an RCN ship's company. One is an article in The Lookout, the other is national news.

Sure... I feel pretty special about firsts I accomplished too, but nobody else cares.

One or two RCN pers on a ship sailing there is not the same as an RCN ship, with an RCN ship's company. One is an article in The Lookout, the other is national news.
Don’t you disparage the RCN Facebook page like that! :ROFLMAO:

I would not be surprised that this might be something that happens. Also its going to really poke a hole into the AOPS "this ship is garbage" crowd particular in the Senate. You know the folks who said it was a slush breaker... when now its proven that it goes through more then 2m of ice.

I wonder if this trip came out of their discovery of its amazing fuel mileage? And better seakeeping then expected with the stabilizers out. Lots of problems with the ship but certainly lots of good news as well.
Irving actually submitted the AOPS design to New Zealand's proposed Southern Ocean Patrol Vessel Program however, the NZ government deferred the program until further notice back in 2022 due to financial and personnel constraints.

Back