• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

I doubt you will find much of a Cyclone advocacy group anywhere these days. The main argument is how to replace them.
Is that even being seriously discussed by anyone that actually has any say in the matter?

I have heard elsewhere on the internet that the Cyclone is unable to fit within the hanger of the AOPS, either due to length or width. I've found some back and forth about that here with the search function but it does not seem like there was ever a consensus.

From what I have seen and found, the AOPS was specifically designed to fit a Cyclone within its hanger with drawings I have seen (albeit older public ones from before construction circa 2012), show it should be able to fit the Cyclone with a folded tail. I have not seen any photos of a Cyclone in the hanger as there is none from DeWolf's SHOL trials back in 2021 publicly available.

Is there any open source info to confirm or deny this?
It fits, dimensionally.

There is just no way to traverse it.

That explanation resonates with me. 👍🏼
We used cargo nets or these mats

a13h0002-photo-03.png

Flew CH135 onto 1100s and 1200s from time to time…the net was there, but there was still a lot of rocking and rolling going on. I have a lot of admiration for the MH folks landing-on in much worse gunk.
I suspect that since Militaries, especially NLI forces, need to conduct ops in any weather or environments that Commercial or Civilian Government users wouldn’t fly in, there is a bit of difference in requirements

I suspect that since Militaries, especially NLI forces, need to conduct ops in any weather or environments that Commercial or Civilian Government users wouldn’t fly in, there is a bit of difference in requirements
Very much so, but for much of the AOP's service life, those civy requirements will work fine. That's whyI would like to see TC offer crews and grey helicopters to the RCN for domestic ops in the Arctic. Moving supplies, ice recce, shuttling personal, Nav Aid repair/placement, SAR and vertical RAS can all be done by them. Currently TC supplies crews and helicopters to the CCG on contract. Extending that service to the RCN should be quite easy and would make good use of inter-Departmental capabilities. TC helicopters can short/long line supplies, in the past they have had hoisting capabilities and that could be added if the RCN felt the need.

Very much so, but for much of the AOP's service life, those civy requirements will work fine. That's whyI would like to see TC offer crews and grey helicopters to the RCN for domestic ops in the Arctic. Moving supplies, ice recce, shuttling personal, Nav Aid repair/placement, SAR and vertical RAS can all be done by them. Currently TC supplies crews and helicopters to the CCG on contract. Extending that service to the RCN should be quite easy and would make good use of inter-Departmental capabilities. TC helicopters can short/long line supplies, in the past they have had hoisting capabilities and that could be added if the RCN felt the need.
No.

Not easy. For a whole bunch of reasons.

No.

Not easy. For a whole bunch of reasons.
Somehow the RN and USN manages to use civilian contracted helicopters on their ships? TC employees also have security clearances, that would allow them to work with the RCN, but of course would not cover everything. There would need to be adaption of operating regs between the two organizations. Otherwise I don't see the AOP's having much in the way of a dedicated helo assets for most of their careers.

Flew CH135 onto 1100s and 1200s from time to time…the net was there, but there was still a lot of rocking and rolling going on. I have a lot of admiration for the MH folks landing-on in much worse gunk.
To be fair other navies think our MH folks are nuts for operating in weather that needs the haul down. I can't quickly find it, but there is a video from the pilot perspective of what that looks like from either the sea king or cyclone. From inside the ship it looks bad enough, from the cockpit video looks like a controlled crash.

Glad we finally are getting ships with stabilizers!

The Class can't as of yet operate with a helo.
There is still a whole laundry list of fixes, but what is frustrating is the systems that will need replaced are still being installed by ISI and delivered with the ship, while other issues that will need sorted out are being ignored.

JSS is in the same boat, and currently doesn't meet air worthiness requirements from SHOPs.

Back