• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

April 27th BMOQ

maybe ask your RC if there is anyone else?

When do you swear in? Maybe there will be some other people you meet then...

AERE Officer (Aerospace Engineer)

Flying out from Toronto on April 27th

So glad I found this forum. Anybody going in as an AERE as well?

I've been training for some time now for my 2.4km objective and I've only gotten to 13 mins and 55 secs. I'm just afraid of the shuttle run. I hope I pass it.

Shuttle run is really 1km in 6 mins, when you think about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-stage_fitness_test#Calculations

You need a score of level 6. So, 1020m in 6:20. However, the speed goes from 8kph to 11kph in increments. Might be worth speeding up over a shorter distance for a couple weeks. I too am training for the 2.4km in 12 mins, and it's hard finding a balance between improvement and injury. I want to push hard, but I made that mistake in October and hurt myself doing so. The last 6 weeks have been a slow build up, but I haven't made the progress I was hoping to make. 3 1/2 weeks to go... I think running is all I will be doing until basic.

skhan0091 said:

I've been training for some time now for my 2.4km objective and I've only gotten to 13 mins and 55 secs. I'm just afraid of the shuttle run. I hope I pass it.

What time is your flight out of Toronto?  I have to connect through TO and may be hooking up with you.

I suggest downloading the Beep Test (shuttle run) onto an Mp3 player and practicing it.

Train, train, train guys! The shuttle run and 2.4km runs are very much about mental toughness and are very reasonable distances. Tell yourself you can do it and push yourself to finish and you'll get there.

skhan0091 said:

Soloman? I swore in with you man - It's Mike.

Glad you found this as well. I was gonna mention it.

XSL said:
I think running is all I will be doing until basic.

Push-ups!! Tonnes of people fail because of push-ups.

Run and push-ups!

seawolf said:
Push-ups!! Tonnes of people fail because of push-ups.

Run and push-ups!

Yes! When I did NCM basic there was a lot of core work and frequent shoulder work as punishment (rifle drill). Definitely mix it up! My challenge is going to be the swim... friggin' swimming..

seawolf said:
Soloman? I swore in with you man - It's Mike.

Glad you found this as well. I was gonna mention it.

Hey Mike!!! Glad to find you here.

Why is everyone stressing about push ups? Are they anal about the form or do we have to do a lot of them during the training.

When I was there in 2009, we did a minimum of 100 a day.
EVERYTHING is based around push-ups.

During your express testing you will here the words "higher" or "lower" for at least a few of your push-ups, these ones will not count so if you can do 19 to pass now, you'd fail the test because even though you did 19 they only counted 17.

You will spend lots of time in push-up position, will do push-ups with various staff where they will say how you do them.

You will not be allowed to drop to knees and do them without being yelled at by staff to get your butt back up.

It was fun and my shoulders and arms were 2x the size when I returned home.

You also march everywhere, literally.  So your shoulders are always being worked.

Enjoy the fun times!

skhan0091 said:
Hey Mike!!! Glad to find you here.

Why is everyone stressing about push ups? Are they anal about the form or do we have to do a lot of them during the training.

both...

SentryMAn said:
When I was there in 2009, we did a minimum of 100 a day.
EVERYTHING is based around push-ups.

During your express testing you will here the words "higher" or "lower" for at least a few of your push-ups, these ones will not count so if you can do 19 to pass now, you'd fail the test because even though you did 19 they only counted 17.

You will spend lots of time in push-up position, will do push-ups with various staff where they will say how you do them.

You will not be allowed to drop to knees and do them without being yelled at by staff to get your butt back up.

It was fun and my shoulders and arms were 2x the size when I returned home.

You also march everywhere, literally.  So your shoulders are always being worked.

Enjoy the fun times!

It isnt that bad! They are SUPER SUPER SUPER STRICT ON FORM!!!! beware of words of "back straight" "lower", listen to them!! fix the mistakes!

We were not doing 100 pushups a day in any sense. But we were doing alot of PT yes. It also depends on your staff...some like squats better these days so its squats instead of pushups and if you are real shit pumps then YES YOU WILL do Push ups and squats until you cry.

You will learn to love the saying "squat position change" "pushup position change"

Like everyone is saying RUN AND PUSHUPS. If you cant run 5km, get on it and real fast. You might not be running 5km everyday, but there will be days you are running in full tac vest and weapon and it might only be 3km but its alot of extra weight! Or running in your gas masks thats always the best!

PSP staff will show you some tricks to help with pushups if you cant get all 19 in the first week.

EdmontonLO said:
It isnt that bad! They are SUPER SUPER SUPER STRICT ON FORM!!!! beware of words of "back straight" "lower", listen to them!! fix the mistakes!

We were not doing 100 pushups a day in any sense. But we were doing alot of PT yes. It also depends on your staff...some like squats better these days so its squats instead of pushups and if you are real crap pumps then YES YOU WILL do Push ups and squats until you cry.

You will learn to love the saying "squat position change" "pushup position change"

Like everyone is saying RUN AND PUSHUPS. If you cant run 5km, get on it and real fast. You might not be running 5km everyday, but there will be days you are running in full tac vest and weapon and it might only be 3km but its alot of extra weight! Or running in your gas masks thats always the best!

PSP staff will show you some tricks to help with pushups if you cant get all 19 in the first week.

Thank you for this detailed explanation. I can run 5 km but only at 8kph - 8.5kph. I guess I really have to work on my form of the push ups. Which week was your platoon's expres test?

What happens if someone fails the running portion of the expres test? Do you immediately get released from CF or do they let you retry?

Also, who are the PSP staff.. lol.. not too familiar with this lingo yet.

As a rule of thumb, I took all the CF suggestions i.e. 5km in 25, 25 pushups, etc., and strove at getting better.

We all have constraints, but we also all made a commitment to the CF. Just push. If you get injured training for basic, you would likely do the same thing there.

Maybe it's just me, but a hard gain diet and workout routine teamed with 4-5 5km+ runs (per week) has served well. Eat good calories and tonnes of protein, push to fail, and I'm sure basic will go a lot smoother than if you are just cutting the minimum requirements.

We will have to work as a team, but I've heard circling back and planking till someone gets their form right, can suck.

skhan0091 said:
Thank you for this detailed explanation. I can run 5 km but only at 8kph - 8.5kph. I guess I really have to work on my form of the push ups. Which week was your platoon's expres test?

What happens if someone fails the running portion of the expres test? Do you immediately get released from CF or do they let you retry?

Also, who are the PSP staff.. lol.. not too familiar with this lingo yet.

Hey,

Check this link out man: http://www.cflrs.forces.gc.ca/menu/ps/off/ec-pf/index-eng.asp

All the details about the expres test.

PSP are the civilian trainers that administer the test

Heard our course got changed to Sept and we're sitting on PAT pl.. that's what my RC said will likely happen.

Back