• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Applying from outside Canada (Merged)

I think I'll definitely call the recruiting centre. I tried to chat with a recruiter on line, but was told to go talk to someone (?!). 

As for trades... Im not sure about anything. I have a clear idea of where I want to go, and will see what they say in terms of whats do-able and whats not.

And I am indeed in Rome. We have one embassy here in Rome as well as the Mission to the Vatican. Outside of that we have LES (Locally Engaged Staff) working satellite offices/consulates in various cities in our area of responsibility as well, such as Malta, San Marino and Albania.
Believe it or not, after being here a year and a half, I have yet to get up to Florence! But plan on doing a bike trip up there this summer.

UPDATE:

So I called the recruiting centre after my last post and in fact it turns out that there is a completely different office that deals strictly with Overseas applicants. The Mcpl I talked to was super friendly and helpful and got me sorted. Unfortunetly, I needed to get some documents from the Italian authorities (where Im posted) because I am "technically" a resident of Italy while here... and well, Italy being Italy, it took for bloody ever to get a silly little peice of paper and by then my trades had closed. C'est la vie!

Anyway, just thought I'd post that up in case others need that info and are searching for it.

Regards,
J

I realize. It's a gamble, but its one I'm willing to lose if it means I get the career I want out of it. I'm not too worried about that at this point... If I get Engineers, then it's Out west (Edmonton?) or Pet most likely....as for sig Op, I'd be training in Kingston for at least a year or there abouts (feel free to correct me on that by the way) so close enough to Ottawa for us. After that, ???? Skies the limit I guess. ;)

Hi.

I'm in a bit of a predicament. I'm attending university in a foreign country and permanently reside here (Outside of North America) but would like to enrol into the ROTP. I'm currently doing Criminology studies and have completed first year. as of this month. I will start to apply for Canadian universities this year for September 2013 intake as a transfer student. I have dual citizenship of Canada and the country I am living in right now.

I have lodged my application and put down Military Police Officer. Is this position currently accepting applications? How will the processing of my application work as I'm overseas? How long does processing take roughly and am I going to be between a rock and a hard spot if I'm only able to provide my academic transcript in January?

I'm not going to be attending RMC, they do not offer my major.

OscarMike said:
I'm not going to be attending RMC, they do not offer my major.
Many of us thought that.  Even those of us that were in the process of completing degrees elsewhere.  I can't speak at all to how the processing of an overseas applicant will go, but I can say that you had best be prepared to receive an offer to attend RMC, and only RMC.  The only people guaranteed to not go to RMC are students in programs such as Nursing, where that degree is required for their trade.  There are other acceptable degree programs for MPO, some of which are offered at RMC.

Best to be open minded.

jwtg said:
Many of us thought that.  Even those of us that were in the process of completing degrees elsewhere.  I can't speak at all to how the processing of an overseas applicant will go, but I can say that you had best be prepared to receive an offer to attend RMC, and only RMC.  The only people guaranteed to not go to RMC are students in programs such as Nursing, where that degree is required for their trade.  There are other acceptable degree programs for MPO, some of which are offered at RMC.

Best to be open minded.

Hmm. Damn. I'm hoping I don't end up receiving an offer for RMC and I'm crossing my fingers that my foreign academic transcript when assessed to Canadian equivalences doesn't allow me to go into RMC even though I'm making top grades here. I'd prefer to graduate with a Criminology degree, rather then some irrelevant one from RMC which will be meaningless when pursing civilian law enforcement employment even as a lateral transfer applicant.

If I end up only getting into RMC or be forced into it, then I will most likely pass it up to complete my degree here then go direct entry.

OscarMike said:
Hmm. Damn. I'm hoping I don't end up receiving an offer for RMC and I'm crossing my fingers that my foreign academic transcript when assessed to Canadian equivalences doesn't allow me to go into RMC even though I'm making top grades here. I'd prefer to graduate with a Criminology degree, rather then some irrelevant one from RMC which will be meaningless when pursing civilian law enforcement employment even as a lateral transfer applicant.

If I end up only getting into RMC or be forced into it, then I will most likely pass it up to complete my degree here then go direct entry.

So let me get this straight:  You're in uni for Crim, want the CF to pay for your schooling to be an MPO, all to serve with the full intention to leave to become a civilian cop?

I'm not saying that everyone has to serve 25 years, but joining the CF with the specific intention of leaving right away isn't exactly a recommended course of action.  Take it as you will.

OscarMike said:

I remember when I thought my criminology degree would be relevant for a policing career... The police force I'm now very close to being hired into basically shrugged and said 'that's nice'. The police are looking for an education, not a specific one. My crim degree has taught me very, very little about policing. I've even sat in a class where Vern White, erstwhile chief of Ottawa Police Service, bluntly told us that educations very focused on policing confer no advantage, and may even hinder us a bit as they're a bit more particular than police are looking for. Not that it's on the order of uselessness of Police Foundations or something, but it doesn't bring to the table what you think it does.

If you get into MPO and subsequently apply for a civilian police force, your previous law enforcement service will be a big factor and the particulars of your education a very small one. And if you want to get into MPO as ROTP, the needs of the service will come first. That means you may be sucking it up and going to RMC.

Alternatively, if you're wedded to criminology, go to a Canadian university that offers crim (E.g., Carleton, U Ottawa, Simon Fraser), and enter later as a direct entry officer. If you really have a thirst to do the military in the interim, try to get a spot in a reserve regiment for your last three years of school.

OscarMike said:
I'd prefer to graduate with a Criminology degree, rather then some irrelevant one from RMC which will be meaningless when pursing civilian law enforcement employment even as a lateral transfer applicant.

Brihard said:
I remember when I thought my criminology degree would be relevant for a policing career... The police force I'm now very close to being hired into basically shrugged and said 'that's nice'. The police are looking for an education, not a specific one. My crim degree has taught me very, very little about policing. I've even sat in a class where Vern White, erstwhile chief of Ottawa Police Service, bluntly told us that educations very focused on policing confer no advantage, and may even hinder us a bit as they're a bit more particular than police are looking for. 

Thought you'd enjoy this song OscarMike.  Good luck policing ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jne9t8sHpUc

The MPO program is a program that's closed if I'm not mistaken.

There are none this year in my year (1st year OCdts) and I know the 2 in 4th year at the school right now are doing Psychology degrees.

If you're in another nation looking for subsidized education then I would look towards scholarships for overseas applications and such. 20 000$ isn't as hard to scrounge up for education as one might think.

In my opinion, applying to the ROTP program while not wanting to go to RMC is a complete waste of an application. The point of the ROTP program is to create "Officers well-educated". Note that Officers comes before Well-Educated for the simple fact that this isn't a school program for officers, but rather an officer's course that offers a degree on the side.

If you plan on being within the Forces for a while, then I strongly suggest you apply and see if you can make it. Even if there is only one spot open, anyone can be that person.

If you don't plan on being in the military or attending RMC, then ROTP might not be for you. I'm sure any recruiter would say them same if you told them your thoughts on RMC. Just my  :2c:

OscarMike said:

I have a Police Foundations Diploma from the Justice Institute of British Columbia. 5 out of 6 services I've applied to basically looked at it and said "Oh, that's cute." Criminology is even more useless to Policing than Police Foundations. Criminology (when paired with another degree like accounting or economics) is more for people going to those Independent Investigators or Criminal Psychologists... Economic Crimes.... etc. Very little use to a Patrol Constable/Beat Cop.

Police Departments in British Columbia require you complete 1 year (30 credits) of ANY post-secondary education.
Alberta Sheriffs require a Two-year diploma in a related field.
The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary require a Degree or ...
...equivalent of 15 credit hours, which should normally include six credit hours in English such as 1080, 1101, 1102, 1103 and 1110, six credit hours in Psychology such as 1000 and 1001, and three credit hours in Sociology, either 1000 or 2000.

Most, if not all other Police services in Canada require no post-secondary (however it is preferred to be competitive and to show you're not just some angry High School kid that wants a badge to throw power around). However, that is only very little to being considered a Recruit Constable (even with the Military Police). Life Experience plays a big part. If your resume/CV only has schooling and one or two jobs... they'll tell you you need more Life Experience. Work more, volunteer with your local Crime Prevention Society, become an Auxiliary Constable etc. Military experience... many police officers were once members of either the CF or British Army etc. or they a members of the Primary Reserve; that will get you bonus points as well. The average age of a Police recruit is 26.

Anyway, I'm starting to go off the rails a bit.

To summarize: Only take Criminology if it is something you're interested in, don't do it just because you want to become a Cop or MP/MPO. A degree in Economics, Accounting or Forensics... hell actually anything... as stated by Alex.Landry will do you just fine.

PrairieThunder said:
Military experience... many police officers were once members of either the CF or British Army etc. or they a members of the Primary Reserve; that will get you bonus points as well.

Regarding bonus points.

Toronto: "Although we appreciate your service in the military, all current and past members of any military service will proceed through the Constable Selection System like any other candidate."

Hamilton: "Military service is neither an advantage nor a disadvantage."

mariomike said:
Regarding bonus points.

Toronto: "Although we appreciate your service in the military, all current and past members of any military service will proceed through the Constable Selection System like any other candidate."

Hamilton: "Military service is neither an advantage nor a disadvantage."

I wasn't using bonus points in a literal sense.

While they may state that is provides no advantage or disadvantage... we all know it still happens. Be honest for a moment, who'd you rather hire? Someone with a High School Diploma, 15 college credits, worked at a Gas Station and volunteer at the Human Society... or someone with military service, knows what it is to be in truly stressful situations, and is disciplined?

OscarMike said:

When they began accepting MP's as lateral applicants into the RCMP, it applied only to NCMs.  MPOs were not considered for lateral application because their job is nothing like civilian policing.  The recruiter I spoke to said that in his experience, even the NCM MPs find the adjustment to civi policing to be a steep learning curve.  They're very different jobs; however, unless things have changed, NCM MPs are still able to apply to the RCMP as lateral applicants, and MPOs are not. 

I can't speak to other police service policies because I never looked into them.

Also, as many others have posted here, no degree is 'irrelevant' when pursuing policing because for many of the police services out there, having a degree is what will earn you points; not necessarily having a criminology degree.

On a personal note, if you want scholarships, then get scholarships.  The ROTP is an officer production program the CF offers in order to produce officers; if you don't want to be a CF officer, then feel free to not rob that opportunity from somebody who might want it.  Instead, just go be a police officer.

That's enough from me- I'm going to go back to studying and writing papers for that 'irrelevant' degree that I'm pursuing at RMC.

PrairieThunder said:
To summarize: Only take Criminology if it is something you're interested in, don't do it just because you want to become a Cop or MP/MPO. A degree in Economics, Accounting or Forensics... hell actually anything... as stated by Alex.Landry will do you just fine.

My apologises I did not want to over-share, hence one of the reasons why I haven't mentioned which foreign country or anything more specific. To give you a greater insight, I'm doing Criminology, Criminal Justice and Psychology. I have picked more specific policing orientated units, rather than redundant superficial units. I can frankly say that I'm not studying for the sake of gaining employment, I have a significant interest in these fields and am actually planning to go up to PhD level.  Prior to switching my majors, I was studying Politics which was horrible... my grades were slipping, I was unmotivated and then when I switched.... a whole new me.

I cannot see myself enjoying the disciplines offered at RMC other than perhaps military psychology, but from what I have been advised in-general it vastly differs from the psychology I am undertaking right now.

Like I have mentioned I am doing quite excellent in university. Unfortunately, I did not complete high school, as in I dropped out, so I'm not entirely sure if this will hinder me but I suspect it shouldn't upon graduation with a postsecondary degree.

Brihard said:
I remember when I thought my criminology degree would be relevant for a policing career... The police force I'm now very close to being hired into basically shrugged and said 'that's nice'. The police are looking for an education, not a specific one. My crim degree has taught me very, very little about policing. I've even sat in a class where Vern White, erstwhile chief of Ottawa Police Service, bluntly told us that educations very focused on policing confer no advantage, and may even hinder us a bit as they're a bit more particular than police are looking for. Not that it's on the order of uselessness of Police Foundations or something, but it doesn't bring to the table what you think it does.

If you get into MPO and subsequently apply for a civilian police force, your previous law enforcement service will be a big factor and the particulars of your education a very small one. And if you want to get into MPO as ROTP, the needs of the service will come first. That means you may be sucking it up and going to RMC.

Alternatively, if you're wedded to criminology, go to a Canadian university that offers crim (E.g., Carleton, U Ottawa, Simon Fraser), and enter later as a direct entry officer. If you really have a thirst to do the military in the interim, try to get a spot in a reserve regiment for your last three years of school.

It is unlikely that I will transfer to a frontline policing role in a municipal police force. While I am keeping my options open, I would most likely lateral transfer to one of the federal agencies overseas, as a federal agent, and they prefer relevant related degrees. "Military Leadership" is not a relevant degree to them and I have already approached said agencies to enquire. Yes, they count your postsecondary education on top of your previous law enforcement experience. I'm not entirely sure how the Criminology stream works over in Canada, as I have not attended a Canadian university yet, but the stream here is extremely relevant and is geared towards those who are entering the police force. In fact most of our lecturers taught at the police academy and such forth.

Dimsum said:
So let me get this straight:  You're in uni for Crim, want the CF to pay for your schooling to be an MPO, all to serve with the full intention to leave to become a civilian cop?

I'm not saying that everyone has to serve 25 years, but joining the CF with the specific intention of leaving right away isn't exactly a recommended course of action.  Take it as you will.

Correct. To be perfectly upfront, your opinion on my plans for the future does not concern me nor will I factor it into my decision. This may come off as arrogant but I have spoken to other NCMs and officers who tell me there is no reason one shouldn't join just because they have the intention of only serving the minimum. The military is a valued addition to a curriculum vitae and also, arguably, builds better citizens in the forms of discipline and a deontological approach to life.

Besides, no offense, but the military is funded, by you know tax payers, ironically and last time I checked I pay taxes and contribute to the economy in both countries so why should I feel bad about wanting the Canadian Forces to pay for my education in return for service to boost their ranks? They need to get officers somehow. The arrogant attitude about how the military shouldn't fund people who are just going to leave after minimum service is more than pathetic.... seeing as the military serves at the privilege of the tax payers, where if you aren't funded by tax payers you are now out of a job because there's no defense budget to pay your salary or anything else for that matter. Not to mention, the military offers the program to boost their ranks and if they had a problem with people leaving after the minimum service requirements they would remove the program if they saw it as non-beneficial and because the program still exists it presents the notion that it is benefit to the Canadian Forces.

OscarMike said:
If I end up only getting into RMC or be forced into it, then I will ........

Now there is a novel thought; great big burly men in trenchcoats, dark glasses and fedoras, knocking at your door and escorting you to a blacked out windowed Suburban and whisking you off to RMC.  Who would have thought that we did such things in Canada, eh?

George Wallace said:
Now there is a novel thought; great big burly men in trenchcoats, dark glasses and fedoras, knocking at your door and escorting you to a blacked out windowed Suburban and whisking you off to RMC.  Who would have thought that we did such things in Canada, eh?

Love that sardonic humour :D.

On the contrary, I was more specifically talking about being forced to only enter the pathway, should I want to, in the RMC route instead of the preferred civi uni route.

OscarMike said:
. . .
Correct. To be perfectly upfront, your opinion on my plans for the future does not concern me nor will I factor it into my decision. This may come off as arrogant but I have spoken to other NCMs and officers who tell me there is no reason one shouldn't join just because they have the intention of only serving the minimum. The military is a valued addition to a curriculum vitae and also, arguably, builds better citizens in the forms of discipline and a deontological approach to life.

Besides, no offense, but the military is funded, by you know tax payers, ironically and last time I checked I pay taxes and contribute to the economy in both countries so why should I feel bad about wanting the Canadian Forces to pay for my education in return for service to boost their ranks? They need to get officers somehow. The stuck-up attitude about how the military shouldn't fund people who are just going to leave after minimum service is more than pathetic.... seeing as you serve at the privilege of the tax payers, where if you aren't funded by tax payers you are now out of a job because there's no budget to pay your salary or anything else for that matter. Not to mention, the military offers the program to boost their ranks and if they had a problem with people leaving after the minimum service requirements they would remove the program if they saw it as non-beneficial and because the program still exists it presents the notion that it is benefit to the Canadian Forces.
Arrogant? Check.
Condescending? Check.
Sense of entitlement? Check.
I believe we know where our funding comes from, but thanks for the education.   
You say that, as a taxpayer, you have no problem with people serving the minimum and getting out.  Well, you're entitled to your opinion (if not much else).  I, as a taxpayer,  hope you never wear a uniform because I would prefer my that dollar go a long way.

Brihard said:

As much as I'm inclined to be unhelpful, I think highlighting this line from Brihard's post is beneficial.

The way I understand it, you want to come to Canada and finish your degree.  If that's the case, the reserves gets you some of the experience you're looking for and spares you ever having to serve in the reg force, thus paving the way for you to serve in the civilian police force more quickly.  There are, in fact, some reserve MP organizations, but I don't know what they require in terms of qualifications for applicants. 

Back