• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AOR Replacement & the Joint Support Ship (Merged Threads)

Also seeing Cdr Creasy made me chuckle. That guy has personality to spare, and was recently CO of Sea Training Pacific. I haven't sailed with him per say but my few interactions with him were fairly positive.

I went to Fort Eustis back in 1980 to visit with one of the US Army Transportation Battalion (Terminal) who are responsible for over the shore logistics operations. This particular battalion operated Landing Craft Utility something like this one.

US_Navy_091021-N-0807W-588_Landing_Craft_Utility_%28LCU%29_1627_assigned_to_Assault_Craft_Unit_%28ACU%29_1_transports_Marines_and_their_equipment_to_the_well_deck_of_the_amphibious_dock_landing_ship_USS_Harpers_Ferry_%28LSD_49%29.jpg

It has a crew of fourteen (and yes there are sleeping and kitchen facilities for them on board in two rooms (8 and 6 I think)) which allowed mixed sex crews. The capacity for the one I was on was two M60 tanks and is commanded by a warrant officer. The battalions have been downsized a bit but there's a significant USAR component to them. They have a range of roughly 1,200 nm but generally work just ship to shore with ships offloading by crane into them.

🍻

It's the army that is responsible for the Gaza pier, not their fault that the operation shows the deep lack of funding and interest by both the Army High Command and the USN. Plus the utterly stupid location they are forced to use. The only good thing is that it is publicly embarrassing the US and hopefully leads to more funding for this unsexy but critical capacity.

Back