• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Anyone know what kind of snake this is?

We should have some kind of comparative species analysis here. Wes can show us his, and we can show him ours, anyone? Then we'd have greater understanding of Canadian and Australian wildlife uh differences.  :-X However I've never seen any snake like that whilst on my travels in Canada, neat. Edit: So that technique would be sucking it out would it Wes? The venom? Can't imagine staring down a Python at 2 meters, definite pucker moment.

Jack Galaxy

Wesley  Down Under said:
There is a simple life saving precidence, and it works!!

The moral of the story, is leave them alone, and odds they'll leave you alone, and if bitten, follow the rules.

Jack Galaxy and I (and probably others ) are interested in the deteils of those :) ...

Amen to that... leave them alone, for people on tour..call the PMed we got the tools and the training.

I concur with the Eastern Fox Snake.

medium.jpg
index.php

ah yes Honey Harbour and the dreaded rattlesnake. Island with the spring-Boussolei, also had a "boat in" National Park. We used to catch the rattle snakes and when sufficient numbers were had. They would placed in a park garbage can, an OP would be set up in the bushes(check first for PI), Park Rangers come by and empty garbage can, instant stress test. My sister had names for the ones that would be found in certain areas over again and again.

See for an excellent picture of the real deal:
Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnake: Yes, There Are Rattlesnakes In Georgian Bay Islands National Park! http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/on/georg/natcul/natcul2_e.asp

The Massasauga Rattlesnake And Other Look-Alike Snakes
http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/parkzine/art3-07-07-2003.html

Pretty cool, 3rd Herd!!  We (as PMed Techs) got to take a snake handling course at the Toronto Zoo.  We got to play with snakes and other critters.  ;D

Maureensnake1.jpg
Maureenscorpion.jpg

PMedMoe said:
Pretty cool, 3rd Herd!!  We (as PMed Techs) got to take a snake handling course at the Toronto Zoo.  We got to play with snakes and other critters.  ;D

My Bouviers handle perimeter defence. The snakes look after internal security.

It is 100% Eastern Fox Snake or as we call them back home in the ottawa valley Rat Snake's, they are excellent swimmers even in fairly rapid water, I wouldn't get worried about them though, as they are not venomous and their bite doesn't hurt much more than a needle, I have been bitten a few times by them catching them actually the easiest way to catch them is to wrap your arm in a burlap sack and make them bite you...

Slimjim said:
the easiest way to catch them is to wrap your arm in a burlap sack and make them bite you...

ThanK you , but ... NO THANK!

Ssssssssssssssnake stories......

One soldier south of Sydney a while back did a night crossing through a lagoon at Wattamolla on a trg ex. He was in waist deep water, seen a stick 'floating in the water', grabbed it, and it was a tiger snake, who indeed sunk his fangs into this blokes arm!

Well a Care Flight helo was raissed, and he was evac'd to a hospital, and recieved lfe saving treatment. Over a year later he was still suffering neurological problems, and such freaky things as hair loss in clumps etc. It was a long time before he was fully recovered.

Moral of todays ssssssssssssssssnake story: be sure you know what to touch, and if in doubt - DON'T!  I live by it.

Cheers,

Wes

Note to PMeds, might be a good story to tell the guys leaving on tour... thanks Wes

RatCatcher said:
Note to PMeds, might be a good story to tell the guys leaving on tour... thanks Wes

Ummm.........it's in our briefing.  ::)  At least the one we (in Kingston) do.  ;D

P-Med I had the briefing before I went on every tour! Good stuff.
For all of you that have been to honey harbour, Funny I am from Waubaushene originally and lived there for about 8 years and spent alot of summers on the water and the Island, lots of nice boats (Scarabs etc...) I never seen a Mass Rattler, until I got posted to Edmonton and went home about 7 years ago and was visiting a friend. We were  camping, he kinda caught me by surprise. scarred me a little at first, but now I can say I saw one.
Wes, I went to Aus in 98, had a blast, even though I was only on a 3 week leave (def not long enough to say I did anything) I was surfing, and while travelling from Sydney to Melbourne my friends and I got out and took some pics in a forest, kinda jungle looking, about 4 months later I saw a documentary on the most deadly snakes, I think the top 10 (or something like that) were there! Man am I ever glad I never saw any!!!

3rd Herd said:
ah yes Honey Harbour and the dreaded rattlesnake. Island with the spring-Boussolei, also had a "boat in" National Park. We used to catch the rattle snakes and when sufficient numbers were had. They would placed in a park garbage can

3rd Herd, you are right. I could not remember the name of the Island for the life of me, so thank you... by the sounds of things, it's a good thing I never looked in a garbage can when I was there either!

~Rebecca

PS: PMed Moe... I enjoyed looking at the pic's you posted in thread, thank you for sharing them :)

Back